Menu

Bday gifts for a child's friend: homemade vs. store-bought?

My dd9 was invited to a birthday party, and when we were at the library, she chose a craft book to check out. Once home, she browsed through it and came up with a few great projects. She also decided what she'd like to make for her friend's birthday gift.

Today she sat down at the table with my box of felt, a journal book that we had picked up on clearance one day (in our emergency gift stash). She designed a cover for the journal, and completed the design on her own, using recommendations from the craft book. (I assisted with the glue.)

Once finished, my DH says, "You are going to buy something to go with that, aren't you?"

I am proud of my dd for coming up with a great, original gift idea, and executing it really well. She'd like to include a fun pen or something with it. She is proud of her work as well, and is excited to see her friend open it.

I'm also grateful that she recognizes that all gifts don't have to come from the store, nor do they have to cost much. She made this specific to this friend, which (to me) shows she values this friend.

What say the Hive? Great gift, or cheap way out?

Guest Cindie2dds
My dd9 was invited to a birthday party, and when we were at the library, she chose a craft book to check out. Once home, she browsed through it and came up with a few great projects. She also decided what she'd like to make for her friend's birthday gift.

Today she sat down at the table with my box of felt, a journal book that we had picked up on clearance one day (in our emergency gift stash). She designed a cover for the journal, and completed the design on her own, using recommendations from the craft book. (I assisted with the glue.)

Once finished, my DH says, "You are going to buy something to go with that, aren't you?"

I am proud of my dd for coming up with a great, original gift idea, and executing it really well. She'd like to include a fun pen or something with it. She is proud of her work as well, and is excited to see her friend open it.

I'm also grateful that she recognizes that all gifts don't have to come from the store, nor do they have to cost much. She made this specific to this friend, which (to me) shows she values this friend.

Great gift! :thumbup: I would be so proud of her for wanting to make something specific for her friend and following it through!

All I can say is I am glad we don't live on LI anymore. I couldn't compete with the gifts people would give. $20-50 spent on a present for a child's friend. I took dd 11 to a birthday party a few weeks ago and was so glad to see simple, heartfelt and yes even homemade gifts. They were precious and well received. I say go for it! It sounds like your dd spent a lot of time with this gift and if that doesn't show friendship, I don't know what does. FWIW I rcvd a simple wood frame with a hand stitched sentiment on it for Christmas when I was about 22yrs old. It was my favorite present that year. My friend's mom told me that she had spent 6 months on the project, for me. She didn't do it for anyone else. I still have it.

I think it's a really cool gift. I tend to go by what the recipient is like. For instance, I have family that really enjoys handmade gifts...so I make them for them. I also have family that does not enjoy handmade gifts...so I buy stuff for them.

I don't make handmade for my eight-year old because he wouldn't appreciate it, nor would it mean anything to him.

I made gifts similar to this for my friends when I was small...they were always well-received.

FWIW I rcvd a simple wood frame with a hand stitched sentiment on it for Christmas when I was about 22yrs old. It was my favorite present that year. My friend's mom told me that she had spent 6 months on the project, for me. She didn't do it for anyone else. I still have it.

Your daughter made a lovely gift. I would much rather receive something specifically made for me than something acquired at a mad dash through the store. As newlifemom said above, these are the gifts we treasure for years.

I think that sounds so nice. I know my 8yo dd would love it if one of her friends took the time to make something like that for her. She would think it was really special. One of her friends recently made all the invitations to her 9yo b-day party by herself, drawing different pictures on each one for her friends (and her family could more than afford any fancy store-bought invitations she wanted). My dd thought it was so cool, and decided to make her a special, handmade birthday card, which was very well-received. Especially if you add a pen and maybe some stickers or a stamp or something, I think it would make a fabulous gift.