Menu

Toys on Amazon

I do a lot of shopping on Amazon, but one thing I've noticed, esp. at Christmas time, they jack up their prices. I was looking at this Tonka truck set thingie for my boys - Amazon had it listed for $68. I checked the same thing on the Hasbro website- $19.99. I can't believe Amazon can do that. Well, they can set their prices wherever they want, but do they really think people will pay that price without comparing elsewhere? I've seen them do that occasionally. Most of the time they have the best prices, but sometimes it's completely outrageous.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

It is not typically for items sold and shipped by Amazon though. I've only seen it as third party sellers. It makes me very angry though! Amazon should have price gouging rules for sellers to protect those of us who shop there and keep wish lists. I keep wish lists for the kids on Amazon and family and friends buy from that list. It makes me so mad when I put something on a wish list for a reasonable price and then the next time I look, the price of a third party seller is listed and it's triple what it should be. It makes me ill to think what some people pay, not knowing what's reasonable.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

It is not typically for items sold and shipped by Amazon though. I've only seen it as third party sellers. .

Yes, it is typically some of the third party sellers. A few years ago amazon did some "updating" of its search system and the unfortunate result is that sometimes third party seller's listings appear ahead of Amazon's.

If something seems pricey, it's often worth looking at the listings below the top item to see if it's offered cheaper.

I've noticed that they do it when inventory is low... I wonder if it is so that they can keep the listing going while they are waiting to restock (rather than needing to create a new one when the last one sells). High prices keep them from selling out temporarily. ??? Just a thought.

I used to have an eBay store and once created a listing in my store for a huge dollhouse that I didn't have time to cleanup and package yet, but I wanted to get the listing live with my other items so that it would automatically renew along with the others. I wasn't really ready to sell, so I put the price up an extra $200 to deter bidders. Believe it or not, it sold for that price, so I stopped what I was doing and made the extra effort to ship it out that day. My buyer was willing to pay much more than I would have been willing to sell it for, and I was pleasantly surprised... and she was completely happy.

Edited by babysparkler

There are things that I want to alert my family to but that are better prices elsewhere. I frequently put comments like, "Buy used only," "Don't pay more than XX," or suggest another store with a better price.

I use the "Add to Wish List" button that you can download to your toolbar from Amazon. I love it. When I'm at another website and see something I want to add to my Amazon wishlist, I just click the button and fill in the product name, price, etc... It grabs the photo of the product and shows the name of the store. So someone looking at my Amazon wishlist might see an item from Timberdoodle, CBD, Peace Hill Press, etc. and when they follow the link it'll take them to that product's page on the outside site. Amazon will give a pop-up window asking the customer if they plan to buy the item, so it can be noted on the wishlist.