Menu

For those of you who are on high blood pressure meds

I went in for recheck today and BP is still around 150/90. So she gave me a low dose hydrocholrothiazide(sp?).

I guess it is a diurtetic.

Am I going to spend my life in the bathroom on this stuff??

And is it true I cannot take any NSAID's?

See, I went in for a re-check with the nurse, and I didn't see the Dr. I get home and the nurse calls and tell me they are calling a script for this stuff, so I had no chance of asking any questions.

I already go to the bathroom alot, I do not want to sepnd my life like I did when I was pregnant looking for a bathroom everywhere.

Any side effects? Not sure of the dose, I think 12.5 mg once a day.

I take it. I had to pee a lot in the beginning, but it tapered off. I am now on two dieuretics, but not in the bathroom all the time. I have never heard that you can't take NSAID's with it.

No side effects at all from HCTZ. (MAJOR, MAJOR side effects from the other one, but it wasn't prescribed for high blood pressure.)

I take it. I had to pee a lot in the beginning, but it tapered off. I am now on two dieuretics, but not in the bathroom all the time. I have never heard that you can't take NSAID's with it.

No side effects at all from HCTZ. (MAJOR, MAJOR side effects from the other one, but it wasn't prescribed for high blood pressure.)

I already go to the bathroom alot, so I hope it doesn't last long like you said. Did it work well for you?

No other side effects(other then peeing..LOL)

Yes, it has worked well. It is one of the first drugs that they try to get blood pressure down.

I was diagnosed with Intracranial Hypertension recently (it has NO relation to high blood pressure) and the drug they put me on (Diamox) has horrible, horrible side effects.

Take the HCTZ and thank your lucky stars that aren't on something stronger. :glare: <---that's not about you, it's about the Diamox.

Thank you. I hope it works. Both my parents are hypertensive, with my dad having a cerebral hemorraghe at the age of 48(he is in his late 60's now). He had undiagnosed high BP. He is now paralyzed on one side.

I am only 42 and feel I am way to young to have high blood pressure. Biut I was even younger when my numbers were like this. At least 3 years ago. My other Dr. just brushed it off. I guess this new Dr. I have doesn't play around.

I had read on the website for this drug that taking an NSAID can interact with this medication, which is why I was asking.

Sorry you are having a hard time with the other drug :0(

And thanks for the help:D

no problem. I was diagnosed at age 36, so I get that feeling of "But, I'm too young for high blood pressure!" I had gone home to take care of my brother, who had, at that time, had two strokes. By the end of the ordeal, he had had 12 strokes. He is fully rehabilitated now, but what a long road to recovery! Our father died of stroke and my mom is hypertensive, too.

It is scary, but good that it was caught NOW!!

And I just wanted to say this, too. If I have come across in your past threads as dismissive of your HA, I am sorry. After that brother was diagnosed with all those strokes, it freaked me out a little.

But....when our other brother....completely out of the blue mind you, started having weird symptoms and going downhill and then died quickly it REALLY FREAKED ME OUT!! I had already been having a lot of dizziness and headaches. I was afraid that my Dr was going to call me a hypochondriac b/c I was in his office so much. I got REALLY scared. My brother (the one who died) was perfectly normal in June, downhill by August, couldn't walk by September, diagnosed in December (given 4-6 weeks to live), dead a few weeks later. (he died of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, incredibly rare)

You do not need to apologize :D I never came across you being dismissive of my HA. Most people do not understand it, so it's okay really.:001_smile:

I just get bummed out because I feel as if I am to young for alot of things. And I have seen so much sickness to everyday normal people, it is enough to freak you out a little. KWIM??

I am glad I have a Dr though who seems to be on top of this rather then my other one who brushed me off. I just figured that my readings were just borderline and nothing to worry about.

Better to take a pill, then die of a stroke or a heart attack. Of course, better to not have HBP at all, but at least I am being taken care of.

I take it -- I don't have any sense that it keeps me using the bathroom any more than when I didn't take it. I do know that it helped bring my pressure down -- at first I pooh-pooh'd it, but it has been effective.

My pressure has been high since the twins were born 9 years ago. Exactly one year ago, I was in the ER with my pressure at 199/113 -- we wee going through an incredibly stressful time with buying a house, me teaching in a new school, twins having a new teacher, just way too much going on. The internist that I ended up seeing when this happened has brought it under control...a few weeks ago it was 90/76 I think.

Even with that, though, the simple act of having my pressure taken will make it shoot up unbelievably.

I take Benazepril HCT for high blood pressure.

I definitely urinate more often in the morning than I used to, and if I skip a dose, the next day I go even more often. For the rest of the day though, it's not noticeably different than how often I went before starting the drug.

One other thing that you didn't ask about, but I'll mention anyway--I had daily headaches when I started the meds, and it took a little while for them to go away, but eventually they tapered off. :001_smile:

Thank you ladies. I did forget to ask about headaches. I have never had any bad side effects to any medication I have ever been given.

I will make sure to take this in the morning when I get up. I pee alot anyways from all that coffee I drink..:D

It is a very low dose. 12.5 mg only. I think she has me on this to see if it will come down with this low dose since I am borderline. Plus, I have very high anxiety that I am on meds with.

But I have changed my diet, and am including exercise.

The best thing, is that we are all eating healthier, and I am finding new things to cook everyday, so I can stay under 1600 mg of sodium per day.

I'm kind of hoping the scale goes down, even though I *know* it is only water, but just the fact of seeing the scale a few pounds lighter will make my day:lol:

I am very glad I changed Dr's. For all I know I could have been walking around with this even longer and who knows what could have happened. I don;t liek taking any more meds then I already do, but better to take one pill, then to end up like my father :-(

Thank you so much!:D:D

I will make sure to take this in the morning when I get up. I pee alot anyways from all that coffee I drink..:D

But I have changed my diet, and am including exercise.

Have you tried giving up coffee? In September, my doctor gave me one month to lower my blood pressure before turning to meds. My follow up appt. was yesterday and the doc was impressed. I did start eating lower sodium foods and exercising, and I also gave up caffeine. My blood pressure dropped quickly. While I know the other factors make a difference, I experience a 10- 20 point jump in top and bottom numbers when I have caffeine! It may be worth a try for you.

Have you tried giving up coffee? In September, my doctor gave me one month to lower my blood pressure before turning to meds. My follow up appt. was yesterday and the doc was impressed. I did start eating lower sodium foods and exercising, and I also gave up caffeine. My blood pressure dropped quickly. While I know the other factors make a difference, I experience a 10- 20 point jump in top and bottom numbers when I have caffeine! It may be worth a try for you.

No actually:confused: I never even thought of it. I only have one cup a day, BUT I do drink 4-C powdered Green Iced Tea which has caffeine(sometime two big glasses).

So maybe I should switch to decaf then?

Of course, now that I am on BP meds, how will I know if it is the meds or giving up the caffeine??? LOL.....

No actually:confused: I never even thought of it. I only have one cup a day, BUT I do drink 4-C powdered Green Iced Tea which has caffeine(sometime two big glasses).

So maybe I should switch to decaf then?

Of course, now that I am on BP meds, how will I know if it is the meds or giving up the caffeine??? LOL.....

I wouldn't go "cold turkey" on the caffeine...I would suggest going 1/2 then weaning off slowly.

Do you have a BP cuff? I would try checking it once or twice a day and keep a log of the readings. You may find that decreasing the caffeine will lower your BP and you may not need the meds.

Another thing to keep in mind is that diuretics mess with your potassium level...you should probably try to drink OJ or eat a banana daily to keep your potassium level up.

Giving up caffiene and cutting back on my antihistamine/decongestant has helped to lower my BP. I take a diuretic anyway for an inner ear problem but the doc and I suspect I probably don't need it for bp anymore.

Diuretics can lower potassium levels so make sure that your doctor checks bloodwork on that. I've been on it for several years with no problem until this last recheck when it registered low.

HIGH on BP meds.....LOL. Love it. Well, I haven't experienced that, and if I did, then I would be able to drop two other medications!!!

How long does it take for these meds to take effect on loweinr your pressure. I took first dose this morning, and no change in pressure. Not going to the bathroom alot, but going more then I usually do.;)

I checked and it has come down the past two readings I just checked it. 136/86. So big improvement. I hope it stays DOWN, and coupled with my exercise and diet change(thank you to eveyone here) I hope it will come down even more. I even FEEL better. I feel like I have more energy.

:D