Menu

Christian Liberty Nature Readers

Dinsfamily

My ds(5) is nearing List I-1 in SWR which is where he'll have learned all of the phonograms and he'll start to read books. He's been taking off in reading the past few weeks (transitioning from sounding out to just reading words) so I'm really excited to let him go on a real book.

I think that we'll mostly get our books from the library, but I'm thinking about buying him a few new books as a treat and I have a B&N gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

So...what are your opinions on the CLNRs? He loves science and animals so I'm thinking they would be fun for him to read. Will he be able to read them himself?

Any other suggestions for books at this level?

Thanks,

Edited by Dinsfamily
Grammatical error...

They are wonderful, although they start off moderately advanced. My daughter had some trouble with the first reader because of the size/ spacing of the text. It wasn't that the words were hard; it was that there were a lot of them in a relatively small area. They don't "look" like most easy readers.

That said, we've loved them. We're about half way through book 2 with my almost 6 yr old.

We have the K book and my dd5 really enjoys it. However, I don't think the K book is an easy K reader. DD can read from it rather fluently, however, she started reading when she was 3 1/2, has read all of SL Readers 1 and is currently easily reading SL Readers 2, and she has almost completed OPGTR (she's at the point where it teaches multi-syllable words).

Here's an excerpt from the K book:

"You will rarely hear a giraffe. But it does make grunts and whistle-like cries when it wants to tell other giraffes of danger or call it young calves. Lions, leopards, and hyenas are its main enemies. Its skin helps to camouflage it in the forest."

I think the K book was added after the others. I can't speak for the rest of the books in the series.

I don't have the K one. I've never seen it, so maybe that one will be ok. But #1 is too hard for a child who is on section I of SWR.

We use the Pathway Readers. The 1st one for grade 1, the pre-primer, is doable. It's what I used for all of my kids. You can start CLNR after you finish the pre-primer, but you will have to help your child out with a lot of words.

HTH

I don't have the K one. I've never seen it, so maybe that one will be ok. But #1 is too hard for a child who is on section I of SWR.

We use the Pathway Readers. The 1st one for grade 1, the pre-primer, is doable. It's what I used for all of my kids. You can start CLNR after you finish the pre-primer, but you will have to help your child out with a lot of words.

HTH

Thanks for the info -- I've looked at these over and over again. Finally bought the K reader (CLNR) and realized it was waaaaay over his head. I thought the K reader looked completely different from the other readers, so I wondered if it was a fluke and the grade 1 reader was perhaps simpler. I will just wait until DS is further along and perhaps buy it as an incentive (he loooooves anything nature related).

And, completely off topic, but love your avatar! ;) My DH has loved Dr. Who since he was a kid and recently we have been downloading some of the first season with David T. I **adore** them. I told my DH it is official...I'm turning into a complete sci-fi nerd b/c of him. :lol:

I *think* the K one is meant for a parent to read to the child and they can begin reading independently on book 1. My boys like the nature readers but they are advanced. I did not get my son to read book 1 until he was at the end of Gr. 1 and was fluently reading everything else.

I *think* the K one is meant for a parent to read to the child and they can begin reading independently on book 1. My boys like the nature readers but they are advanced. I did not get my son to read book 1 until he was at the end of Gr. 1 and was fluently reading everything else.

On the Lamppostpublishing site, it says of the K book:

"The Christian Liberty Nature Reader K for Kindergarten is the new addition to the Nature Reader series. It provides kindergarten students with an illustrated animal lesson for each letter of the alphabet. A child who has completed a kindergarten phonics program should be able to read this book."

However, in the "To Parents and Teachers' section in the K book, it says "Now that the students have completed the previous books, they should be able to read this book with minimal help"

does anyone know what previous books they're talking about??

So would CLNR book 1 be equal to SL Readers 2 then? We do own SEVERAL easy readers and SL readers 1. He can read all of those. I think I'll plan on "assigning" SL readers 1 for him to read again and let him choose books from the library. I don't need to really challenge him at this point, right?

We will be buying SL Readers 2 with Core K in March which he could start then and the CLNR book 1.

CLP also has phonics readers for K. They are a set of four and I think they are also advanced. Maybe that's what they are referring to as "previous books"? The first two I would use for K but the third and especially the fourth I wait to use in first grade. Of course, it depends on the child. So far my boys are using all the books about a year behind where they say they should be used.

My ds wasn't able to read book 1 until the end of first grade (I would consider him on grade level as a reader) He read some of it over the summer and then we skipped the last half (he was sick of insects) and he moved into the second reader at the beginning of this year. He's enjoying that one. I had also heard the K book was suppose to be a read a loud, however I can't tell you where I heard it from. :D