Menu

Dd wants to be a writer..... help....

Hi all,

My 9th grade dd has decided she wants to be a writer. It is definately her gifting. However it is not mine (left brain, analytical, chemist). She wants to write novels. She has done Learning to Write the Novel Way as a co-op class and wrote an amazing book. She writes at home for "fun" all the time. So I have some questions. What would she major in at college? English? What should I make sure she does now in high school to prepare her for college? How should I guide this child? :confused: Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,

My 9th grade dd has decided she wants to be a writer. It is definately her gifting. However it is not mine (left brain, analytical, chemist). She wants to write novels. She has done Learning to Write the Novel Way as a co-op class and wrote an amazing book. She writes at home for "fun" all the time. So I have some questions. What would she major in at college? English? What should I make sure she does now in high school to prepare her for college? How should I guide this child? :confused: Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

My advice: grammar, grammar, grammar. It is the best foundation you could give her. There are many communication courses out right now. I took Corporate Communication which included writing, editing, graphic design, photography... basically courses that enabled me to work in PR representing a company, and to be able to publish a journal or magazine from start to finish. There are many options for her, but stick with the foundation for now. You might want to do a poetry unit. You could have her submit some work to an professor somewhere, they can critique it and encourage her, perhaps mentor her. Just continue to let her write and give her opportunities to share her writing with people. I bet she'd love to write articles for the church newsletter, or the local humane society. Perhaps she could write a poem to include in this year's Christmas cards. I'm not sold on submitting for paid publication at her age. The high turn-down rate may crush her enthusiasm, so try to give her a venue where you or her have more control. Have fun!

English majors study literature.They read a lot, analyze and write about what they read. Some schools have English majors that specialize in creative writing. English PhDs can teach college.

Communications majors learn to write for different media: newspapers, magazines, movies, companies and the Internet. Communications majors can work in corporate communications and marketing, PR and advertising agencies, media. Communications PhDs can teach college.

For technical writers, it's best if they have a degree in the area they want to write about -- IT, chemistry, biology, etc. If she wants to write historical novels, she can be a history major.

My suggestions would be to have her set up a blog and write consistently on any topic she's interested in. To enter writing competitions. To submit her work for publication in children's literature magazines. To write a few columns on kids' issues and see if the local newspaper will give her a regular column.

Also, I wouldn't pigeonhole her as a "writer" at this point in her life. At 14, my DD was going to be a writer and an artist. At age 20, she's graduating with a BA in mathematics. LOL!! So, balance her writing with a broad classical education that gives her *content* to write. Have her read and write critically. Since writing is her gift, let her write a lot, but also have her write about math, about science, about history and about hobbies.

My DD has found that her writing talent has given her the gift of easily navigating the "writing intensive" requirements of her BA, and that every single course relies on written communication skills. That doesn't make her a "writer" as much as it makes writing the backbone for education.

(And you have to understand that at age 14 my DD *hated* math, and was NEVER going to be a mathematician...so a lot can happen in 6 years! GRIN.)

Lori

I suggest: read, read, read , read. Have her read everything she can. Classics, of course, current bestsellers, magazines, newspapers, poetry.

And, give her hours per day for writing. After the other academic subjects!

If she had her choice, that would be her entire school day!! :001_smile:

We do manage to get other things done and she does them well. I am grateful for the responses. I have actually thought about her majoring in communications. She loves book discussions but only about things she is interested in such as fantasy/adventure novels. Getting her to read some classics can be a real challenge at times. So English might not be the best major for her.

We will see where the next few years take her. I just wanted to make sure I was providing everything she needed now.

Thanks!!!!!

I think that I give her three main things that help in this endeavor. They are time to write (because we homeschool), editing help (this happens to be a skill area of mine), and lots and lots of experiences and literature that meld together to give her something to write about. I also take her to library programs where authors come and talk about their process. One nice thing about that is that most of the children there also love to write, something that tends not to come up in conversation that much, so they can talk with each other--kind of like a writers' workshop.

For example, she attends a nature awareness class one 6 hour day per week. The novel that she is currently working on draws extensively on that experience, but in a different way that just describing it--it's more that it's informed by it.

I think that too many authors were English majors. I believe that novels that are well-written and are also informed by science, history, engineering, religious, or political backgrounds would be an outstanding addition to our fiction lexicon. I think of Barbara Kingsolver, who incorporates her botany background into her novels--it's notable because it's so unusual, and I wish that there was more of it. Also, from a practical standpoint, there are many nonfiction things to write about that require some technical expertise and knowlege. General knowlege and lots of notable experiences in addition to a solid writing background are really helpful to a writer.

Just a few thoughts-

In my opinion, the world of writing is going through a whirlwind of changes. Journalism is possibly experiencing the most violent of revolutions. I think we will see schools of journalism at various college begin to close. An unpaid enthusiast in his pajamas can report on news with the ability to reach as many people as a "journalist" at a newspaper.

Then, we have the world of the e-book, with all the ramifications of a digital world. The sharing and stealing of works has become rampant, blurring the lines between right and wrong, infringing upon authorial revenue.

All this said, I do think there is still room for writers. However, I don't think that it is "business as usual." I think writers are going to HAVE to be the most creative, tech-savvy, ahead-of-the-curve, business people in the near future. I think the ability to write will be only one important feature of the successful writer of the next 50 years.

Holly

I think that too many authors were English majors. I believe that novels that are well-written and are also informed by science, history, engineering, religious, or political backgrounds would be an outstanding addition to our fiction lexicon. I think of Barbara Kingsolver, who incorporates her botany background into her novels--it's notable because it's so unusual, and I wish that there was more of it. Also, from a practical standpoint, there are many nonfiction things to write about that require some technical expertise and knowlege. General knowlege and lots of notable experiences in addition to a solid writing background are really helpful to a writer.

Well said!

At our house, we have tons of medical experience and are so annoyed at the thin medical plots in various books & shows. Things like people in a coma for years and then walking around days after they awaken. It would add so much if a writer actually was knowledgeable about their subject matter.

I wonder if as an author, the young lady in question has particular topics she's interested in?

Also, I wouldn't pigeonhole her as a "writer" at this point in her life. At 14, my DD was going to be a writer and an artist. At age 20, she's graduating with a BA in mathematics. LOL!! So, balance her writing with a broad classical education that gives her *content* to write. Have her read and write critically. Since writing is her gift, let her write a lot, but also have her write about math, about science, about history and about hobbies.

and to what others are saying: Have her do lots and lots of grammar, lots of reading, especially the Great Books, and give her a broad classical education so that she has something about which to write. Some of the best writers may or may not have a degree in English. For example, I've read most or all of Jon Krakauer's books, and his undergraduate degree was in Environmental Studies. Lauren Hillebrand, the author of Seabiscuit, majored in English and history, I believe. I think your daughter will benefit most from a classical education, with emphasis on English and writing, and finding a niche to pursue. Just living life and pursuing her interests will help shape that content. Krakauer wrote for Outside magazine and Hillebrand wrote for Equus before they wrote their best-selling books.

Susan Wise Bauer started a thread a while ago about English majors and whether or not that was helpful in pursuing a career as a writer. I thought it had some excellent information and ideas; here it is!

Edited by Michelle in MO

My ds wants to be a veterinarian, so our major focus is math and science, but he has always enjoyed writing. Last spring he took a creative writing class at the CC and had a wonderful experience with a professor who has published books and other students who are interested in writing. At the end of the semester, several of the students voiced an interest in taking the advanced course this spring. We found out this week that it will be offered, so needless to say ds is thrilled.

I am a bit concerned about adding that to his course load, but he says he can handle it.

If you live near a CC, it is something to consider.

I have a childhood friend whose novels regularly make the NY Times Bestseller list. Her college degree was in International Business.

Another friend has two published novels. He's a doctor (neurosurgeon, maybe?). He found his agent because she was recruiting novel writers at a medical convention.

An English degree is not going to stand out on a novel submission letter and it may or may not help her learn to write better. I would encourage her to study her passion.

Actually, having known several excellent aspiring writers who have not succeeded in selling a novel, I would encourage her to prepare for another career she will find fulfilling and pursue writing on the side.

Lots of reading in many, many subjects. Lots of writing. Continue to provide opportunities to participate in writing courses and workshops. Good to explore many different forms - essays, plays, screenplays, short stories, novels, poems. Read everything.

Study of many different literary forms can be done informally out of a love of language - it need not be within the structure of literary analysis that is so often enforced by college English programs. Writers may not necessarily read to find hidden meaning, to criticize or interpret, or to write clever essays; they may instead read simply to enjoy and appreciate a masterful writer's use of language and to explore an author's application of various techniques so as to learn how to apply these techniques themselves. This is different from writing about other people's writing.

College - any major is fine. Writers, especially fiction writers, end up becoming learned in a wide variety of subjects - whatever they choose to write about, they usually must study. If the main character is an architect, they have to learn a lot about architecture and the people who work in it. If the main character is a plumber, they have to learn a lot about plumbing. When writing historical novels, one must learn many details of the settings, the characters, etc., to bring the imaginary world to life. Some writers drew directly from their own experience. If they wanted to write about whaling or life at sea, they went and did that.

Lots of grammar. You have to know all the rules, and then you can decide whether you want to break them.

Lots of vocabulary. Finding the right word is an art that depends upon a large vocabulary and constant revision.

Latin, Greek, and other foreign languages. These stretch the linguistic parts of the brain, obliquely improving one's ability to express oneself.

Good also to explore other ways to make a living, in case writing does not immediately provide the desired level of economic freedom. Many writers work part-time or full-time at other jobs.

At age 14, there is no need to narrow the path. Keep all doors open. Encourage her and provide opportunities to pursue her passion. But continue to expose her to many things.

I apologize for the sentence fragments. It's after midnight. I hope some bits of this are useful.

Edited by plimsoll