Menu

Have you heard of Stephen Douglas?

You know the one who had the debates with Abraham Lincoln? My father's mother's maiden name was Lola Douglas. Yes, that is right. We are directly related to Stephen Douglas. My daughter said "but I never liked him because I liked Abraham Lincoln." LOL How cool is that though? My direct ancesor could have been president of the United States. My uncle has been doing a lot of research on this stuff lately. (he is my father's brother)

... and apparently we also have family from my father's side who were thrown out of Scotland for trying to overthrow the government. If you knew my father, you wouldn't be totally surprised to hear that. LOL :lol:

The Irish part of my husband's side was tossed out of South Carolina...they were just. that. wild. Now my dad's side is pretty wild also, same sins, but were never tossed out. Of course, they would have to toss out half the state to get rid of every relation ;)

We have an ancestor caught for watering down the communion wine in Scotland. A notorious publisher. Moonshiners. Senator. Protestants run out of Switzerland and France. Directly descended from Charlemagne. Ancestors that walked the Trail of Tears. Baptist ministers. Sea Captains. And on my stepdad's side, you can add Frances Scott Key(es) and THE McCoys (of Hatfields and McCoys). I'm certain there are more, but that is what I have at the moment in my research.

I think they just mean that it would have to be somebody of high caliber to have the ability to intelligently argue with Lincoln.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: if only.

Do some research on the "real" Lincoln...there are plenty of books out there that address the issues with him rather than just follow the status quo idolatry.

You know the one who had the debates with Abraham Lincoln? My father's mother's maiden name was Lola Douglas. Yes, that is right. We are directly related to Stephen Douglas. My daughter said "but I never liked him because I liked Abraham Lincoln." LOL How cool is that though? My direct ancesor could have been president of the United States. My uncle has been doing a lot of research on this stuff lately. (he is my father's brother)

My husband's family claims Abrahama Lincoln as a cousin.

I was very happy to discover "Isaac Newton" in my lineage...until I realized he was off by a century or two :lol: Thought it might explain my love for science!

Seriously, we are descendents of King Charlemagne. My dad always wanted to know where the family fortune went - he didn't care about the royal bloodline! :D

Wm. Wallace (Braveheart guy) - the other relatives were just chicken thieves that got kicked out of England!

That we are distantly related. My daughter is actually a Wallace descendant on both sides of her family. Her grandmother (maternal) on her father's side was a Wallace. My grandfather (my mother's father) ... his mother was a Wallace. :D