Menu

left vs right

My 5 year old seems pretty comfortable using both his left and his right hand for most things including writing. Do you guys think I need to MAKE him use one or the other...or is it ok for him to keep switiching back and forth? It seems that he switches when either his hand gets tired or he uses his left on the left side of the paper and his right on the right. Thanks for any thoughts.

Kathy

He will develop a preference on his own. Or not. And either way, it's fine.

Do not make him switch! This is normal and vital for brain growth. Forcing him to switch can seriously mess with brain development.

:iagree:

As a lefty here, I can't fathom being made to write with my right hand. I did, however, get very good at using scissors right handed, since lefty scissors were so rare in school. :glare: I'm actually still pretty good at it. In fact, come to think of it, I don't even own a pair of lefties now, LOL.

My dad, who is also a lefty, told me that when he was little, some ps teacher tried to FORCE him to write right handed. :001_huh:

I say, let him be. :)

You shouldn't force him at all.

When my dds were little, I put writing/eating utensils in their right hands and helped them with a correct handshape, but if they switched to the left, I just helped them with correct handshape there, too. When they were coloring/"writing" with the left hand, I turned their papers enough so they weren't hooking their hands over the tops of their papers. (Both turned out to be righties.)

I wouldn't do a thing. I switched regularly for most everything until I broke my left arm at age 7, and ended up with far better handwriting on my right side by the time the cast came off. I write and draw as a rightie, eat and knit as a leftie, and handle pretty much everything else by using whatever hand is more convenient.

Does he have any other bilateral integration or crossing the mid-line issues?

what does this mean?? I have no idea if he has "issues" or nothing.

Kathy

Bilateral integration is the ability to use both sides of your body together.

Crossing the mid-line is the ability to reach across your body and function - i.e. use your left hand to grab a block that is to your right, rather than use your right hand for everything on your right and your left hand for everything on your left. The article I linked can explain it more fully and give you an idea of what the norms are:

http://admin.babygym.co.za/articles/articles_uploaded/Crossing.pdf

I finally started putting all of my ds's things to the right of him. When I watched carefully he seemed slightly right handed. When he started writing for any length of time at 7 or 8 and used his left hand it just didn't work quite so well. Once I walked into his room and asked why he was doing his math with his left hand and he looked up puzzled and said, "oh, maybe that's why it's taking so long." He will still everything with either hand but if he remembers it is easier with his right. I would try and figure out which one to encourage for your son. Good luck!