Menu

Pants for short chubby little girls...

My daughter wears a 7/8 in boys and a 10/12 in girls for shirts. 10/12 for dresses. Her 7/8 in dresses are definitely too tight. She has some old 7/8 pants that she can wear, but most of them are too tight. We are buying her size 10/12 and then hemming them. Most of those are still too tight in the waist, or too long in the waist, or "feel wierd". She does not wear jeans as they are never comfortable. All of the pants that she has are stretch pants, like leggings almost. She isn't fat... just slightly chubby for growing you know? I have seen fat little girls and she isn't, the final proof was that a boys shirt in size 7/8 fits her great! I just want something that will fit her and be warm this winter. Any suggestions?

Have you looked at Lands' End Kids? They have pants, skirts and dresses for girls in plus sizes-- a little more room in the waist and the seat, but no extra leg length. My dd wore these for a while when she was younger. Now, she's 12 years old, 5'7" and long and lean, wearing ladies size 6 jeans, so go figure! Anyway, I hope that helps....I know how hard it can be!

Astrid

Old Navy has "plus" pants. That one was hard for me to swallow, but I realized this year we could either go up to a 12 and hem the miles too long (and my dd is quite tall) or just stick with a 10 plus and they are just right. We still synch in the waist with the elastic somewhat, but they are roomier in the thigh and butt. We think they are a great fit. Dark denim, lighter denim, black, etc. About $10 right now. I also found lots of yoga type pants, fleecy sweat pants that would be super warm, and regular sweats all for about $8-10.

If you have a Sears near you, they carry Lands' End Kids, in case you're interested in trying them on for the sake of comparison. When dd was younger, I could rarely find Old Navy Plus stuff and when we did find it, there just didn't seem to be enough extra room.

Hope your dd finds something soon!

astrid

She fits great in size 8 boys pants, but the girls jeans are just too tight and the size 10 are way too long. I recently bought two plus size pairs of pants from Lands' End. One pair works if I take up a ton of slack in the elastic waste band. The other pair are just way too big. So I wouldn't try ordering online from Lands' End, the plus size is really huge. At our Old Navy store, plus size doesn't start until size 10. I actually did end up buying some pants there and will probably cut six inches off and hem them, but it seem like such a waste. Size 8 boys Levi's work fairly well and look kind of cute.

Melissa, I read it before you edited. ;)

Maybe I should try boys pants. That hadn't really ocurred to me. When I see little girls and little boys I don't see a lot of girls that are smaller than the boys... so why the discrepancy?

:rant:

I also don't understand why I had a ton of clothes with elastic waist bands when I was young. I was small, but shaped the same way... elastic waist bands are a thing of the past now. Why? Why Why are our 7-9 year olds expected to wear the same types of clothes as a 16 year old. Really?

I have the same problem with my dd7...I have best luck getting her capri type pants/short pants, but this is not easy during winter. A few times I've just cut and hemmed longer pants, but I can barely use my sewing machine, so it is an ordeal. I've had some luck at Gymboree and land's end. My big problem is she is hard on the knees, so I prefer to get her stuff on sale, which doesn't usually happen with the Land's end stuff.

thanks for the old navy tip, I'll go and take a look!

Maybe I should try boys pants. That hadn't really ocurred to me. When I see little girls and little boys I don't see a lot of girls that are smaller than the boys... so why the discrepancy?

I also don't understand why I had a ton of clothes with elastic waist bands when I was young. I was small, but shaped the same way... elastic waist bands are a thing of the past now. Why? Why Why are our 7-9 year olds expected to wear the same types of clothes as a 16 year old. Really?

:lol: I thought that might happen. I think my reading comprehension needs some work!

Personally, I hated those old elastic waistbands. They were so itchy! :D

When we had this problem last summer, one of the things we had success with were the sweatpants they sell at Target in the girls' section. They're not the most appealing fabric, but they fit properly and were roomy. I also found some fleece pants at Target the other day that were roomier than most pants we find nowadays. They were a tad long, but easily hemmed. They fit everywhere else, and that's what mattered!

I'm going through the same thing with one of my girls. She seems to wear a different size in every store we go into. Last winter, I had gotten her a few pairs of jeans from JC Penney. They have half sizes instead of plus sizes, so I got her an 8 1/2. Even though she was wearing an 8 plus in the Target pants, these 8 1/2's were a little too big. Now she is wearing a 10 plus in the Target pants and those 8 1/2's are fitting.

Over the summer I had to get 12's and 14's for shorts and skirts. The 10/12 shirts have gotten too tight. I'm having to buy 14/16 shirts for her and the sleeves are way too long.

For pj's, I have been shopping the women's department. I can get her the women's XS or S pj shorts and they fit fine. The women's XS or S capri pants are just the right length to fit her like regular pants.

For her Halloween costume, I had to get her an adult small because all of the children's costumes were too tight.

Maybe little girl bones are smaller than little boy bones? I think that little boys will eventually be taller, so maybe their frames are bulkier...sort of like puppies with big paws. My 10yo daughter (who is ridiculously wirey) can wear the same shorts that are one size to big for my 4yo son. He's not heavy for his age (maybe 40-45lbs?), but their hips are pretty close to the same size.

As for elastic waist bands, gap, Old Navy, Gymboree, and others I'm sure have the elastic inside the waistband with buttons to attach it to. It's very handy and so much more comfortable and attractive than the old-fashioned sansabelts :lol:

Barb

My best friend has 2 girls. Her wirey 7 year old wears a size 5 in shorts, 6 in long pants. Her 3 year old wears a size 5 also.

I was always small, but I had a pot belly until the summer before starting my periods. I was 14. The clothing readily available for little girls seems to be only for the wirey ones.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

My best friend has 2 girls. Her wirey 7 year old wears a size 5 in shorts, 6 in long pants. Her 3 year old wears a size 5 also.

I was always small, but I had a pot belly until the summer before starting my periods. I was 14. The clothing readily available for little girls seems to be only for the wirey ones.

Hey!!! You are a Qualified BeeKeeper! I've never seen that tag before!

Is it ridiculous that I'm this excited? It's like a celebrity sighting :lol:

Barb

Hey!!! You are a Qualified BeeKeeper! I've never seen that tag before!

Is it ridiculous that I'm this excited? It's like a celebrity sighting :lol:

Barb

I hadn't noticed! I feel like I am accepting an award. LOL! I better slow down my post count... I want to keep this one for a while. :tongue_smilie: