Menu

Kids Earning Money for Ministry

Our church presented the kids with a ministry opportunity in which they are o fill a little cardboard bank with loose change (I don't normally use cash so there isn't usually loose change around), allowance (we don't give our kids an allowance), or money earned for doing a chore for me (I don't normally pay for doing chores). The money will be donated to an organization which will stuff stockings for children in Russia. Further, they gave the kids a piece of paper with something written in Russian on it (I have no idea what it says) which has room for the kids to affix a picture of themselves and write a letter. These will be included in the stockings, and the Russian child who receives the stocking may write back. It would have been easier to just tell me to give the kids x amount of money, but I understand that the idea is that they worked for it.

So, how much money would be an appropriate amount for the kids to try to earn for their banks? They have just under a month to fill their banks. And how much would you pay for what chores? Normally, they just do what they are suppose to do without pay so I'd have to tell them that this was pay for a special circumstance.

I really HATE the subject of kids and their own money...whether it is allowance, pay for chores, gift money, or church wanting the kids to give their own money.

Could they rake leaves for a couple hours for $10? That seems like plenty to me.

My kids have chores they do just for the pleasure of being in the family, plus extra opportunities to make a little $. .50 each for cleaning a bathroom, vacuuming the family room, sweeping the garage. They tithe and save 10% on the money they make and have 80% left for spending money.

I think this is a wonderful way for children to develop a heart for giving. I wouldn't pay for normal chores but would offer my children the opportunity to do extra chores for money.

We live in an area where we can take our recycling and be paid for it so I would let my children collect cans, plastic bottles, etc. They could go to the neighbor's houses who don't recycle and ask if they might turn their cans in for redemption.

We've held a yard sale and let the children keep the proceeds.

We've allowed the children to withdraw money that they had saved from birthdays & Christmas to give towards a missions offering.

We use all cash in our house so there is always change around but I'd still make my children work for it. That is part of giving. Learning the sacrifice.

We did not give our children an allowance, nor did we pay them to do chores. Any chores; regular or extra.

My dh did, however, empty out his pockets of any loose change into a bowl each evening, and on Sunday morning my dc would take that money to church and give it in the offering. It was never a large amount, but we managed to split it up between the three of them and they were so proud to be able to give money to the church.

So........having the above already in place........when these issues of children giving for projects like this came up, I would simply tell my dc that they would not be participating, and then I'd follow that up with a call to their teacher so she wouldn't make them feel bad about it in class. We just didn't 'do' this sort of giving.

However, I looked for ways my dc could give of themselves and their possessions. Our public library sets out a box for children to put their used stuffed toys into and then the library gives them to the fire department so firemen can give a 'comfort' stuffed toy to victims of fires. My dc loved their stuffed animals, but they always gave selflessly.

Also, our dentist took once-a-year trips to Belarus to give free dental care to several orphanage as his ministry, and he would collect clothes and toys to take to the children. He said most of the children didn't have any toys except the 'one' treasure they would receive when he took these boxes out with him. My kids filled two boxes so that other children could have toys.

Anyhow....look for things like this: things where your children are actually giving of what they already have and value. That teaches a true heart for giving.

Ok so you expect to have your kids do extra work for money (and they don't normally earn any money) then you will tell them they have to give the money away? That doesn't seem quite right to me either.

I wouldn't be making my children do anything. I would give them the opportunity.

Other ways for children to give were mentioned by a pp and they are wonderful ideas. Many of which we have incorporated into our giving in the past.

The op's situation is just one of many opportunites our children would have to participate in charitable giving. Working hard to earn money only to turn around and give it away is, imo, a great way to teach children how wonderful it feels to break a sweat for someone in need.

Lastly, no one at my church would make a child feel badly for not participating.

Ok so you expect to have your kids do extra work for money (and they don't normally earn any money) then you will tell them they have to give the money away? That doesn't seem quite right to me either.

Oh, definitely. I guess I don't look at it as the adult assigning extra chores and forcing them to give the money away, but as a chance for the kids to earn money specifically for charity. Again, this is for things above and beyond the normal chores expected. And it is the child's choice to do them.

My kids have done this to raise money for various charities through church - Pennies for Peace (for Greg Mortensen's Central Asia Institute), Nothing But Nets to buy bug nets to protect against malaria in stricken countries, Feed My Starving Children, as well as our Christmas Adopt-a-Family program. Also, during Lent, our church participates in the Rice Bowl project where we plan simpler, less expensive meals and put the savings in the box to be turned over to charity to fight hunger. Participating in these projects has helped my kids connect with an issue that has meaning for children and help them see beyond themselves.

I would absolutely allow them to raise the money themselves.

Recently when we were back in the US on a visit, my dds put together a presentation that raised over $3000 for a malnutrition center here that they work at. It was their thing and had nothing to do with us and our mission here.

I wouldn't ever force my dc to participate in something like that. But, what I would do is have them think about whether or not they want to participate and then brainstorm ways to make it happen.

We don't do allowance or extra money for extra chores either. But, they are able to work for a neighbor helping out if they let that neighbor know what the money will be for. I also have allowed them to sell things. We've also done giving of their toys and clothes. The result is that they now voluntarily will clean things out periodically and give them to families here that need it. They aren't attached to stuff.

I would encourage them to do chores for neighbors or friends that you know would support what they are raising money for. It's a lot of work for you, maybe, but, in the long-run it's worth it.

An alternative: When our dc are asked to give for a kid's offering, dh gives them some money to donate. We use the concept of family money, as opposed to each individual having money. When they have a need, it comes from our family money. It is the privilege of living in this family and completing their daily work, day in and day out, as opposed to one-time chores. They don't have to earn it for a one-time event, as they have already earned it long-term. They understand that each time we give, we give up something else that our family may have spent the money on. We talk about it with them when dh and I give, as well, so it is a constant reminder that they are giving every day.

An alternative: When our dc are asked to give for a kid's offering, dh gives them some money to donate. We use the concept of family money, as opposed to each individual having money. When they have a need, it comes from our family money. It is the privilege of living in this family and completing their daily work, day in and day out, as opposed to one-time chores. They don't have to earn it for a one-time event, as they have already earned it long-term. They understand that each time we give, we give up something else that our family may have spent the money on. We talk about it with them when dh and I give, as well, so it is a constant reminder that they are giving every day.

This sounds like a nice compromise. I can tell you that not participating in things like this, regardless of what you tell the children, can make a serious impact.

Mine was a bit different, but my parents wouldn't join the PTA at my school when I was 6, and didn't realize that it kept the class from having an icecream party... thus... I was the one who... needed to ask their mom and dad to join... (didn't happen... no icecream party for my class)

You wouldn't think I'd remember it... but I did...

Carrie

As it stands now, they want to participate. They just raked some of the leaves outside. It was a chore that we (my husband or I) weren't getting to. They ran out of room in the bin before they were done, which will give them opportunity to do it again after trash day.

Maybe I'll find other lawn care for them to do, or they can ask our neighbor about doing hers. She's trying to sell her house so keeping up with it, and us keeping up with ours, would help her too.

A funny thing to add:

My son made this comment about filling these banks for stockings for Russian children: "And if we have another big war, like World War II, then maybe Russia will be our allies because we did this."

As it stands now, they want to participate. They just raked some of the leaves outside. It was a chore that we (my husband or I) weren't getting to. They ran out of room in the bin before they were done, which will give them opportunity to do it again after trash day.

Maybe I'll find other lawn care for them to do, or they can ask our neighbor about doing hers. She's trying to sell her house so keeping up with it, and us keeping up with ours, would help her too.

A funny thing to add:

My son made this comment about filling these banks for stockings for Russian children: "And if we have another big war, like World War II, then maybe Russia will be our allies because we did this."

You have wise children, Joanne. How sweet. My daughter said something similar when she collected pennies for Pennies for Peace.