Menu

I am confused...how many in the US have died from H1N1???

The CDC has a chart on their weekly update that has over 2500 deaths listed there However, today the story in all the newspapers is that "the US death toll has gone over 1000" - most of those in the last few weeks. So...what is it?? 2500 or 1000? Why is it that NOTHING about the statistics on this virus is making sense? Millions of people have had it and 1000 have died - that is a bit different than millions have had it an 2500 have died. I mean, really, it would be nice to get something remotely close to the truth here!

I was also reading than in China, only 2 people have died and that ALL of the people who have gotten H1N1 were under 30. I wonder if they just have much better reporting and tracking methods in China. The reports coming out the US are severly lacking, IMO. It is the most frustrating thing, IMO.

I read and watched both of those yesterday. ;) I read an article 5 mins ago saying that, of the 5000 specimens tested, almost all were swine flu. However, in the report above about it being over-estimated, it said that in the same 5000 specimens, 60-80% were NOT swine flu. I am seeing a HUGE issue in reporting here! This is ridiculous. How do Americans make good informed decisions and protect their families if they can't even get information that doesn't contradict itself???

As a hypochondriac, I have spent a LOT of time researching and reading about swine flu. What I am seeing is a LOT of information that does NOT match up, that does NOT make sense, and more conflicting "data" than ever before in anything else I have researched.

I believe fully that H1N1 poses a threat not normally seen with seasonal flu. I also believe that being vigilant is important when someone gets the flu...but I am seriously starting to wonder why the lines between hype and threat are starting to blur so much!

this site exists to sell Mercola products. This site does not exist to inform or give facts. Any and all information from this site should be verified through an independent source, or at least a website that is not set up solely to sell products. Having ads on a website is one thing. This website is *designed* for the purpose of selling the products, and all information/psudoinformation is designed to channel the viewer to their products page.

The CDC has a chart on their weekly update that has over 2500 deaths listed there However, today the story in all the newspapers is that "the US death toll has gone over 1000" - most of those in the last few weeks. So...what is it?? 2500 or 1000? Why is it that NOTHING about the statistics on this virus is making sense? Millions of people have had it and 1000 have died - that is a bit different than millions have had it an 2500 have died. I mean, really, it would be nice to get something remotely close to the truth here!

I think it would be really helpful if you included links so others could view them and help you sort this out. Claims without links isn't really helpful.

I think I found the CDC page you mentioned here but you need to take another look. It's a chart detailing deaths from, "Influenza and Pneumonia-Associated Hospitalizations

and Deaths," NOT simply H1N1.

Again, those figures are NOT for H1N1 but flu and pneumonia. The figure of 1000 H1N1 deaths could fit into the figure of 2500 as a subset.

The statistics make sense with a careful reading.

I was also reading than in China, only 2 people have died and that ALL of the people who have gotten H1N1 were under 30. I wonder if they just have much better reporting and tracking methods in China. The reports coming out the US are severly lacking, IMO. It is the most frustrating thing, IMO.

It's China. China. They're rather notorious for misreporting things such as this. Regardless, even if it's true China is still half a world away with a very different demographic so it's not useful to attempt to directly compare their experience with it to that of the USA.

That's why we decided to do the vaccinations... so we can stop worrying about it. If you are this worried, maybe you should get the vaccine... it will be a load off of your shoulders, like it was off mine.

*I* can't take the vaccine. My husband and I are disagreeing about the vaccine right now and he won't let the boys get it. It is literally making me a crazy wreck. :(

Why can't you get the vaccine? What about the vaccine does your husband disagree about? I wasn't sure about it at first, and my husband wanted it done. After hearing about all the pediatric deaths, and our doctor highly reccommended it, I changed my mind. Try showing your husband the link with all the children that died... that might change his mind.

He won't even look. He refuses to get concerned about it at all. I have no idea what about the vaccine he isn't sure about (other than that he just says he doesn't trust it). I can't take it because I had a reaction that may have been from the flu shot. I am not willing to "risk" that it was and have it be worse this time. It was an odd reaction, and most doctors say it wasn't the shot...but I was fine until I got the shot and the pain started in my arm and became constant stiffness down my arm, then into my neck, then into my legs. By the next day, I couldn't get out of bed. I couldn't stand in the shower. The soreness and stiffness went away over a week long period, very slowly. I have never experienced anything like that since (nor had I before). Because the shot can't be ruled out, I can't take that chance (or better, I WON'T take that chance).

The kids have their seasonal flu shots each year. They have never had a reaction. I worry about them getting the vaccine and any side effects, but I am hopful that if they did get the vaccine, it would be just like seasonal for them and cause no issues. My dh has asthma, arthritis, and is overweight by 20-30 pounds. He REFUSES to take the shot and I am terrified for him.

I definitely would not take the shot if I were you, but I would continue to talk to your husband about letting the kids get it. My kids had the mist and were perfectly fine, and I haven't heard about any side effects (and quite a few people have had the vaccine so far). Ask him if it's fair to decide about your children's health without considering your opinions. Even if he is right, he should at least hear you out, right? That means looking at whatever you have read to come to your conclusions.

He has listened to me...but I don't feel comfortable making the decision to vaccinate without his approval. To be honest, if something happenes, either way (vaccine or with the flu) I will never forgive myself. I am in a very bad place right now and feeling much like I am darned if I do, darned if I don't. If I thought crying would help, I would do that. :(

No, I wouldn't do it without his approval either. Just curious what do you think can happen from getting the vaccine?

I know how you feel... I felt the same way before we got it. I hope the two of you can work something out. Don't panic though, becuase even if you did get the swine flu, chances are you will be just fine.

Just the chance that they could be one of the ones who will have a reaction to the vaccine is my only concern. I felt they were very safe until I had that happen to me...now I do worry. :(

Just curious what do you think can happen from getting the vaccine?

QUOTE]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/18/nurses-swine-flu-vaccine-safety

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/aug/24/doctors-refuse-swine-flu-vaccine

On the fda . gov website, it states that usual standards for limits on the amount of thimerosol (mercury-based preservative) were lifted completely to speed along the manufacture of this vaccine. It says they will be reinstituted after this vaccine has been made. If you want to know specifically why I am worried about higher levels of mercury, it's because autism is one of the things linked to it. What they are allowing for the H1N1 vaccine is far higher than what they allow for yearly flu shots.

http://www.healthfreedom.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=907&Itemid=1

--

Here is an article written by a neurosurgeon by the name of Dr. Russell Blaylock concerning the swine flu vaccine:

http://socioecohistory.wordpress.com/2009/07/15/dr-russell-blaylock-vaccine-may-be-more-dangerous-than-swine-flu/

Here is a link from an infectious disease doctor on mainstream news saying NOT to take the swine flu vaccine:

Vaccine has 25,000 times the accepted levels of mercury for food.

On the fda . gov website, it states that usual standards for limits on the amount of thimerosol (mercury-based preservative) were lifted completely to speed along the manufacture of this vaccine. It says they will be reinstituted after this vaccine has been made. If you want to know specifically why I am worried about higher levels of mercury, it's because autism is one of the things linked to it.

No, it's not. Most research, and there's been quite a bit of research on this, has failed to reveal any link between autism and thimerosal.

Here's a good article from Newsweek and Factcheck.org on some of the misinformation surrounding the H1N1 vaccine.

What they are allowing for the H1N1 vaccine is far higher than what they allow for yearly flu shots....

...Vaccine has 25,000 times the accepted levels of mercury for food.

Could you please post the links that would support your claims?

Important things to know are that the mercury (ethylmercury) in vaccines is not the same mercury (methylmercury) that we generally have concerns about as a neurotoxin.

The dosage of ethylmercury in vaccines falls far, far, far below the daily allowable limits. You'd get more mercury in a canned tuna sandwich and it would be methylmercury to boot.

Information on this and thimerosal in general can be found at this link from the Public Health Agency of Canada.

If someone wants the vaccine but IS concerned about mercury they can ask for a single dose vaccine or the nasal mist, neither of which contain thimerosal.

The dosage of ethylmercury in vaccines falls far, far, far below the daily allowable limits.

If someone wants the vaccine but IS concerned about mercury they can ask for a single dose vaccine or the nasal mist, neither of which contain thimerosal.

Right. Here's a table with thimerosal content. Scroll down to Influenza A - H1N1 2009 . The highest concentration is 25 mcg/ml, same as all the other thimerosal containing vaccines.

On the fda . gov website, it states that usual standards for limits on the amount of thimerosol (mercury-based preservative) were lifted completely to speed along the manufacture of this vaccine. It says they will be reinstituted after this vaccine has been made. If you want to know specifically why I am worried about higher levels of mercury, it's because autism is one of the things linked to it. What they are allowing for the H1N1 vaccine is far higher than what they allow for yearly flu shots.

http://www.healthfreedom.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=907&Itemid=1

Can you provide the link to the FDA page? The article you linked selectively quotes a news article about what Washington State is doing about the vaccination. Apparently, from reading the article, pregnant women and children under 3 in Washington are not allowed any level of themierosol in their vaccinations, but that is suspended, as the thimerosol-free vaccine is in short supply. The usual limits on the thimerosol-containing vaccination will still be in effect.

We won't be getting the vaccination, as we don't get any flu vaccinations, but I still dislike hype.

RE; China - I doubt the facts the OP listed are accurate. Remember how they denied there were any cases of SARS in China, and then - after intense global pressure- they released more information and we learned that SARS was sweeping through China? I'm going to assume they are supressing information.

Area doctors here report anything with flu-like symptoms as the H1N1. If they test for INfluenza A or B, and it's negative, they still have to report it as H1N1.

I'm very suspicious of ANY of the numbers out there.

RE; China - I doubt the facts the OP listed are accurate. Remember how they denied there were any cases of SARS in China, and then - after intense global pressure- they released more information and we learned that SARS was sweeping through China? I'm going to assume they are supressing information.

Area doctors here report anything with flu-like symptoms as the H1N1. If they test for INfluenza A or B, and it's negative, they still have to report it as H1N1.

I'm very suspicious of ANY of the numbers out there.

I wasn't giving the China numbers as fact - I was just throwing out something I had read....mostly my thread was started as a bit of a rant about poor reporting and incorrect statistics. Sorry if it came across any other way.

I could prove that the moon is made of cheese from the internet. There's even news reports that mercury is good for you. The answers are not in the news or the internet or in other people's opinions. The answers are within. If you believe in God, pray and trust in the Lord, and all that is meant to be revealed to you will show the way.

I could prove that the moon is made of cheese from the internet. There's even news reports that mercury is good for you. The answers are not in the news or the internet or in other people's opinions. The answers are within. If you believe in God, pray and trust in the Lord, and all that is meant to be revealed to you will show the way.

:iagree: If only my health anxiety could understand this! Perhaps if I quit feeding it...

The kids have their seasonal flu shots each year. They have never had a reaction. I worry about them getting the vaccine and any side effects, but I am hopful that if they did get the vaccine, it would be just like seasonal for them and cause no issues. My dh has asthma, arthritis, and is overweight by 20-30 pounds. He REFUSES to take the shot and I am terrified for him.
According to Perry the H1N1 vaccine is exactly the same as the seasonal flu vaccine. If you can confirm that then maybe your DH will relent.

In the meantime, are you doing what you can with natural methods to boost immunity and control cYtokines? I am on a highly concentrated juice with pomegranite, acai berry and green tea. It is called Tre. My doctor looked it over and says it is the best she has seen, with much more in it because of being concentrated. It contains green tea, one of the natural methods to fight H1N1. It also helps arthritis! You can also test Vit. D and get their levels optimal. Spend your time researching how to help instead of researching how bad it is.;)