Menu

S/O: What is the BEST toy you've bought for your kids?

Add age and gender too for easy list making moms :)

DD (10) and I made a doll two years ago and we are still making dresses, tiny books, etc. for her. Her birthday presents have been a doll bed, a little pet for the doll, etc. This year she is hoping for a "friend" for her doll (read: another doll just like it). So 66 cents later (less than 1/3 yard of material) I'm making another one for her for Christmas.

DS (12) an electronic chess board (so you can play by yourself against the computer or with someone else).

Other two DS' really haven't had any homeruns yet...

Edited by ezrabean2005

Well, I don't think I can pick just one, but here are some things that have been played with over and over at our house:

DD8:

• Littlest Pet Shop playsets and pets. She started playing with and collecting these when she was five, and she still plays with them by herself and with her friends.
  • Polly Pockets. Same as above.
  • Play dishes. She got them when she was 19 months old and she still loves them.
  • Legos. She just got these last year for Christmas, but they definitely get played with.
  • Uno cards, regular playing cards, and Connect Four.

DS6:

• Tinker Toys
  • Lincoln Logs
  • Melissa and Doug Wooden Block set
  • plastic deer, moose, and hunter set from Cabela's
  • Nerf dart guns
  • Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars
  • plastic dinosaurs
  • Pirate Ships

HUGE hits here have been...

Legos & K'Nex

Playmobil sets (especially the knights)

Hot Wheels cars with plain tracks, none of their fancy sets

Bruder trucks

Connect Four

Blokus

Mr. Potato Head

Play food & dishes

Dress-up clothes (from Imagination - Toys R Us - Grandparents bought 8 outfits for ds6 when he was 3, and they both LOVE them)

Guest janainaz

My ds's are 9 and 4.....

Last year I bought my son's the Wild West Gun Slinger (Electronic Target Shooting Set). It has an artificial log with four pegs you can put a target on (comes with plastic cans). The gun makes a cool noise when you aim and hit the target (there are four sensors right below the target points). They put other little targets on it and play with it all the time. Even I have fun with it. http://www99.shopping.com/xPO-Jasman-Wild-West-Gunslinger-Target-Shooting-Set~linkin_id-8046646 I only paid around $20.00 for it at Wal-Mart. (I could not find it on the Wal-Mart site, but they still have it in-store). Not sure why it's listed for so much on other sites.

I also bought them a 4-lane Hot Wheels race track http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Wheels-4-Lane-Raceway/dp/B000JSI63G

This one has also really gotten used (they've had it for 3 years).

Two years ago they got the Imaginext Castle and Pirate Ship. They are great toys.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-J5099-Imaginext-Adventures-Castle/dp/B000EULXBG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1256332203&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Imaginext-Adventures-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B001B2MU3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1256332283&sr=1-1

Other favorites have been:

Rush Hour Deluxe (great car game)

Lincoln Logs and Legos

Stratego

No Stress Chess

What's In Ned's Head?

Tipover

Horton Hears a Who

The Cat in the Hat Game

Uno Flash (and the one that spits out the cards)

Nerf Guns - any of them

Edited by janainaz

What my children play with the most are small action figures. They could play (and do) for hours with a couple of those in their hands. What's fun to do if your kid likes that kind of thing is to find cool ones on ebay that are no longer sold in stores--we found some great Flintstones ones, Toy Story, etc. You can almost always find a character you want on ebay.

Legos

Decent to better-than-decent quality art supplies

Toy kitchen

wooden toy food (Haba brand)

oddball musical instruments (various brands; not toys)

Rat-a-Tat Cat

Set

No Stress Chess

Plastic horses/other animals from Schleich (and a nativity set)

some vintage Barbies with elegant outfits

and a few loyal Teddy Bears

Our Kangaroo Klimber was a consistent hit for at least 6 years.

It's one of those colorful, plastic indoor/outdoor climber/slide combination toys. I think it was about 4 x 4 feet plus the slide. It was about 100 bucks at Toys R Us, but it was used daily by the toddlers/cruisers all the way up until about 1st grade. Every kid who came over wanted to play on and in it, too.

Handed it off to my twin nephews, and they love it now, too.