Menu

Neglecting pk/k

rwjx2khsmj

I'm in my first year homeschooling my 4 dc (13,10,7,5). So far, so good...except for dd (5). She's being totally neglected educationally. A wild child by nature. The only thing she writes is the number 8, and O-H-I-O (guess who dh is routing for in football?!) She's not great at doing anything remotely "work" related without lots of hand holding and encouragement and, frankly, it's easier to let her play. Any advice, recommendations, support, encouragement for those that have BTDT?

The only subjects I would really worry about in kindergarten are the 3 R's (plus religion if that's important to your family). You should be able to get that done by devoting 30 minutes daily to it. Your other kids are old enough that they should be able to do a half hours' worth of independent work while you teach your youngest.

If she's a "hands-on" type of kid, look into materials that use that approach: All About Spelling, Right Start Math, etc.

I say, get on your feet with the other three and then get started with her next year, especially if you think she's going to be a challenge (which she sounds like she's going to be). You're first year of homeschooling will be challenging enough with just the other three.

As for her, you might want to consider making it a point to read her lots of stories to get her used to sitting down and listening to you as you read aloud to her. I would suggest Ambelside Year 0, Simply Charlotte Mason Early Years and Honey for a Child's Heart (Gladys Hunt) as great places to find titles of good books to read.

If she's happy playing while they work, I say, let her play.

My youngest was in the same boat as yours. He had lots of free time to play and do his own thing while I was focused on the older ones. I would try to give him things to do independently, but he was basically *unschooled*:D. He would do Starfall, or do some peg puzzles for math. I tried to implement a phonics program and go through a math book with him, but it was spotty at best. He is in second grade now, and the test he took at the end of his 1st grade year showed him at 4th grade or above for everything but spelling! In fact, the woman who tested him said she had to cut him off from attempting any more math problems! Normally the kids get to a question level where they say they don't know the answer, but he would talk it out and draw things (taking FOREVER!) until he got the answer. So, be encouraged! These younger kids who are straggling along ARE learning. Often, much more than we think they are, and in spite of the "neglect." I am inclined to think it's because of it! He is happily doing formal school now, and since my oldest is more independent, he's getting plenty of one-on-one instruction and thriving.

I'm in my first year homeschooling my 4 dc (13,10,7,5). So far, so good...except for dd (5). She's being totally neglected educationally. A wild child by nature. The only thing she writes is the number 8, and O-H-I-O (guess who dh is routing for in football?!) She's not great at doing anything remotely "work" related without lots of hand holding and encouragement and, frankly, it's easier to let her play. Any advice, recommendations, support, encouragement for those that have BTDT?

Most kids are going to need a lot of hand-holding for K and 1.

I skipped K completely with my extremely hyper wild child. He started 1st grade not knowing his letters or numbers and was reading Charlotte's Web by the end of the yr. (obviously didn't hurt his progress!)

For the rest of my kids, I have spent 30-60 mins 1-on-1 doing phonics, handwriting, reading, and math. I work with the youngest 1st so that they can then go and play the rest of the day and I can focus on the older kids.

FWIW......my 2nd grader still can't focus without my physical presence. I have to sit beside her for her to get her work done. All kids are different. I just meet them where they are/who they are.

My youngest (4yo) is in half-day UPK this year but last year I had a hard time keeping him occupied. I agree that it helps to have your older children set up first so they know how their day is going. I have never really been attracted to time and work schedules but it has really made my days more organized. I do not schedule my children till 1st grade.

It is amazing how much they learn just hanging out at the table with everyone else. I do start with some simple workbooks like the Explode The Code series called Get Ready For The Code. This teaches the basic consonants and letter formations and does not require a lot of one on one. I also do not allow "just for fun" computer or TV games during school hours. Those are a privilege. I do allow computer activities like JumpStart K or other educational games or websites but not everyday.

Also, older children can be great teachers. I find my 2 oldest have far more patience than I do when it comes to teaching reading to my sometimes stubborn 1st grader. It is also a learning experience for them.

I find that it is much easier with the younger children to squeeze in 5-10 min chunks of time throughout the day to work with them. They tend to glaze over after that anyway.

Forgot to add - the line from Jessie from the WTM book works wonders for the resistant child. "Would you like to take a nap or learn how to read?" Mine always choose schoolwork.

Edited by Blossom'sGirl

I'm in the same boat now with my 5yo ds. I didn't do anything with him. I tried to make him watch Leapfrog videos but he had no interest. Prior to starting school a few weeks ago, he knew no letters or numbers and was even spotty on shapes (thought he knew these). He could write some letters which he learned on his own but other than that, he knew nothing.

He's doing pretty well but definitely way behind where my dd was at this age. I did basically zero with him so it's not his fault. He's learning every day and he's so proud of himself! We do some phonogram work and practive writing them in salt or on the chalkboard and then we do some math. That's it and then I set him free. lol

Sandy

I don't have older students, just the 5 yo and the 3 yo twins tagging along. It's hard to know how to juggle all your responsibilities, but if I were in your shoes, I would focus on the academic needs of your older students -- but not necessarily give them 1-on-1 time first.

What I mean is this: Spend time with the little one first thing in the school day, and then it is DONE! If you can establish your olders (13, 10) in the habit of doing some independent work/instrument practice/Bible reading/independent reading first thing in the morning, you might get a 20-30 minute block of time to work 1-on-1 with your K'er. Here, we only do about 2-3 "teaching times" per week, but we do a little more now, maybe 40-50 minutes. It seems to work, even with all the interruptions from two little ones who think they should be "doing school, too!" ;) I do NOT think that you have to do Kindergarten every day, or all day -- just try to get in the seatwork 3x/week for 30 minutes, read aloud to her, let her play, and she'll be fine.

We really only focus on basic stuff during "seatwork time" -- handwriting (I NEVER try this with the twins in the room, completely pointless, so they are trapped by the gate in their room with toys and music); phonics (oral); spelling (written); math fact drill (oral); and math lesson (written). I try to alternate something written with something oral, or the little hand gets tired.

Then we "cover" the other subjects with Read Alouds, whenever we can fit them in -- Bible, Geography, Science (currently reading about biomes), Literature (currently reading nursery tales), and Poetry (currently reading A. A. Milne's books). The Read Alouds usually include all the girls, but sometimes I take my oldest in the evening and read to her separately, while my husband reads to the twins. In this case, we can read at a little higher/older level, but I don't think the review of "Hickory, Dickory, Dock" is hurting her, either.

You have your hands full this year with 13, 10, and 7 year olds and this being Year 1, so don't beat yourself up about the 5'er (I'm talking to myself here, too, LOL! I know, it's hard to not feel the urge to sit her down and pump in the ABC & 123, but I'm learning how to let TIME and PLAY -- interspersed with a consistent bit of "school" -- work to our advantage). She's only 5, she'll come along in time. Go O-H-I-O! :D

The only thing you mentioned was that she doesn't write a lot (except for 8 and OHIO). I don't think that is a big deal at all.

If you look at, say, the reception year of the MEP math program (free online), they don't have writing per se in that year at all -- actually they are opposed to it, but they do have quite a bit of line drawing and other fine motor activities to build skills in that area, as opposed to Singapore's Earlybird, which has kids writing numbers (1, 2, ...) and words (such as "twelve"). MEP is quite a good program. Right Start also can be done with the abacus primarily, not writing (I think!), and one could just adapt the Earlybird to her ability to write, and skip anything too complicated.

I'd look into a small amount of that sort of good academic program completely separated from the writing component, coupled with lots of play and reading wonderful books, including non-fiction books on interesting topics to her. She'll learn quite a bit that way.

Forgot to add - the line from Jessie from the WTM book works wonders for the resistant child. "Would you like to take a nap or learn how to read?" Mine always choose schoolwork.

I agree with this in one way -- don't make doing a school task a choice for the child -- because you are the parent in the lead. However, I would add that we have NOT had good experiences with doing schoolwork too close to nap time. In other words, we work in the morning, when the child is NOT hungry or tired, because teaching a tired/hungry child to read, write, spell, count, or add is NOT fun or pretty. (Ask me how I know). :glare:

Mornings work best for my 5'er, usually 11 am-12pm. HTH.

Thanks all! It's good to hear that I'm probably not damaging her for life by not working with her extensively on math and phonics. She's with us all the time so, by osmosis, she's bound to pick up more information on the ancient world and biology than most 5 year olds. We read aloud all the time so we are good there.