Menu

History Pockets?

Mommamia

in fact, I bought the same set twice! I forgot that I tried them years ago with my oldest. I keep thinking that they will love them. It will start out enthusiastically, but it always ends up that I am doing all this prep work and they grow tired of it before the project is done. It really ends up being busy-work for us. They like hands-on projects, just not the pre-scripted, non-creative kind.

I just purchased the Native Americans set for gr. 1-3 for my ds8 and ds6 to go along with our Native Amer. study. I'm hoping they will like it. It's a bit different than lapbooks...which they both hate. So, I'm praying it'll be a nice "change of pace" form simply reading and doing narrations and notebook pages.

We're doing the Native American one with my first grade boys. We won't be doing every single one of them, just the tribes that tie in with the regions we're studying in our BJU Heritage Studies 1 book. My boys do like color, cut and paste, which is what a lot of this is. We'll see how it goes. We just started it and they seem to be liking it all right. I'm thinking about doing the Plymouth one later on in the year, but I'll decide after we finish this one up.

We have copies of Nursery Rhymes, Egypt, Explorers, and Greece. The children love doing them on their own after reading from many of the books suggested in the Veritas Press catalog. I just print out the pages and turn them loose with construction paper, glue, markers, staplers, etc. Just today they were gathering black and white beans to play Senet.

My son likes these, and he is not a hands on crafty guy. He needs alot of help with them - he is 11, but he has some fine motor issues and can't handle alot of cutting, pasting and coloring, etc. It is a project that we work on together. We are using Ancient Civilizations, and each section we do goes into a pocket divider. So far we have Mesopotamia and Egypt. Any mapwork, copywork, drawings, notebooking pages, etc. go behind the divider it belongs in. He is very proud of the way his history notebook is shaping up. It's a lot of work for me, but I think it is worth it - it really adds to his notebook. Dana

All 3 of my kids adore these! My 11 yo really, really, really did not like lapbooking but she enjoys the pockets. Last year, she did the Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome books along with her history studies. Her finished pockets were her favorite part of her portfolio -- she pulled out each item and used it as a springboard to explain everything she learned about that topic to her evaluator. However, the pocket activities were simply extras -- she did all the Tapestry of Grace readings, etc. She will be doing several of the Time Travelers CDs this year as her supplement instead of hist pockets since the topics fit better, they are more in-depth, and can capture higher level thinking.

My two little ones also enjoy both these and the lit pockets. They did the Ancient Civ book last year and still play with the stick puppets they made for each civ. They did narrations on the postcards and can still remember what they narrated when they pull them out to look at them again. We're doing the Folktale and Fairy Tale lit pocket now. The stories are all easy & familiar but they like having the activities in their pockets so that they can pull them out and re-tell or act out each one.

My two kids like them. We are doing Ancient Civilizations.They enjoy showing everyone. Some parts of the pockets they don't get, but that is okay they are having fun with them. I use them for extras also to go along with our studies. We also like lapbooks and to cut and paste.

I just taught a history class about Paul Revere and I used the American Revolution packet and my kids had to do one for themselves at home.

It does add extra busy work, but it breaks up the day and I think the hands on for my kids is a plus and they remember more and have put it together with the other reading we have been doing on Ancient Civilizations.

My boys don't really like crafts either and they both have fine motor issues but that is why I make them do the pockets. Along the way they usually have a reasonably good time and learn something and I like integrating something more than just reading and writing.