Menu

Write with the Best? Anyone?

radiobrain

In my never ending quest to find a writing curriculum that I can implement...

Has anyone used "Write with the Best"? I am not finding too many reviews, comments or opinions.

I downloaded the sample lesson, which seems pretty good, but I am wanting a bit more input.

I also would be choosing between vol. 1 and 2. I would probably go with 1.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Caveat: I have not actually used this program.

However, I looked into it quite a bit a year ago. I was almost set to buy it, when I found a longer example of the first lesson. It was on how to write a descriptive paragraph, ostensibly copying as a model a paragraph from Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Lovely paragraph (though I was a bit perplexed why they'd chosse something that was a translation - not the author's original words). Then the assignment was to write a paragraph - with a topic sentence, three supporting sentences, and a concluding sentence. 5 sentences, no more, no less, with two repeating the same information. For a descriptive paragraph - not expository. Hm. I looked back at the "model". Not a single paragraph included had that structure - because good descriptive writing almost never follows that structure! And the model they point to doesn't either - what is the point here?

I realize I shouldn't judge the whole program based on one lesson, but it's the only lesson in the sample so it's all I had to go by, and that turned me off.

Caveat: I have not actually used this program.

However, I looked into it quite a bit a year ago. I was almost set to buy it, when I found a longer example of the first lesson. It was on how to write a descriptive paragraph, ostensibly copying as a model a paragraph from Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Lovely paragraph (though I was a bit perplexed why they'd chosse something that was a translation - not the author's original words). Then the assignment was to write a paragraph - with a topic sentence, three supporting sentences, and a concluding sentence. 5 sentences, no more, no less, with two repeating the same information. For a descriptive paragraph - not expository. Hm. I looked back at the "model". Not a single paragraph included had that structure - because good descriptive writing almost never follows that structure! And the model they point to doesn't either - what is the point here?

I realize I shouldn't judge the whole program based on one lesson, but it's the only lesson in the sample so it's all I had to go by, and that turned me off.

I did not see this as being the case. The author suggests that they write a paragraph with no less than five sentences. She also states that it certainly can be more. I do not see anything wrong her method. Anyone who wants to can download this example for themselves. In this lesson, a descriptive paragraph starts with a good topic sentence and then goes on to describe the object, ending with a concluding sentence that restates the topic sentence.

The author also has many other exercises that will help the student to develop their ability to use descriptive words. Lovely. LOL.

Please correct me if I am wrong. :confused:

We're using Volume 2 and LOVE IT!! My DD used IEW SWI-B last year and Write with the Best is the perfect follow up. IEW does an awesome job of teaching structure and organization, and WWTB is providing excellent examples of great writing to imitate (a la Classical method) and help my DD develop her style.

I also like the way WWTB breaks up the lessons into manageable chunks. Instead of saying "write this paper and it's due in two weeks" the lessons are broken out into days something like this (off the top of my head):

Day 1: Read the passage and refer to guide on how to write XYZ

Day 2: Brainstorm ideas about a topic

Day 3: Do research and take notes

Day 4: Write an outline

Day 5: Write the introduction

Day 6......etc..... until Day 10: Final Draft

As for the previous post - I believe the Jules Verne passage is intended to demonstrate "style" not "structure". The lesson provides guidelines for structure and the student is meant to imitate Verne's style of descriptive writing.

BTW - isn't the original Jules Verne written in French and that's why there's a translation?

I have held off posting on this thread because we haven't actually used it. But I do own Volume 1, so if anyone has any questions about it, fire away. We did use it for a week or two about three years ago, but my son didn't like the models. I'm sure he'd leap at the chance to use it now instead of Homer A! Homer A is enfuriating me with its models: "The son is come." My son, understandably, thought "come" was a predicate adjective. Bleah. Why is he even learning "is come" when nobody ever uses this anymore!!! OK, off rant. I feel so much better now. :)

Okay, one more Homer rant. Now bear in mind that I like this program, so I am allowed to rant at the models. But you might see why we certainly don't do dictation or copywork from Homer! The following is one sentence from a Homer model. One sentence. One. Uno.

"No sooner had the men in front ascended it and caught sight of the sea than a great cry arose, and Xenophon, in the rearguard, catching the sound of it, conjectured that another set of enemies must surely be attacking in front; for they were followed by the inhabitants of the country, which was all aflame; indeed the rearguard had killed some and captured others alive by laying an ambuscade; they had taken also about twenty wicker shields, covered with the raw hides of shaggy oxen."

I want a medal for sticking with this program (Homer). Seriously. No alloys, please.

Julie

Edited by buddhabelly
clarify that the rant is not about Write w/ the Best

I'm using volume 1 with my 10yo daughter. We are really enjoying it! We've finished up describing an object (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) and are now working on describing a place (Christmas Carol selection). My daughter is enjoying the focus on the actual literature.

The focus isn't on the in's and out's of structuring paragraphs and sentences so much as really starting to recognize and get a feel for what makes something good writing. They incorporate the selection and then have the child find additional examples from their own reading. It also does a great job of building vocabulary, at least I'm noticing that while we work on descriptive writing.

Writing with the Best has also peaked my daughter's interest in books she had not yet read. She is now reading Anne of Green Gables and wants to read the original Christmas Carol next.

Combined with R&S English 5 we have a wonderful mix of traditional grammar and more Charlotte Mason style writing.

I have used this for a few weeks with my 6th grade dd, and we both like it so far. I like that it is laid out for you, step by step, as someone else said. It also has quite a bit of grammar review which has been good. My dd has produced some nice writing based on the lessons.

She does enjoy writing, though, so I can't comment on how it would work if you had a reluctant writer. We'll see how it goes with ds in a couple of years. ;)

We're using Volume 2 and LOVE IT!! My DD used IEW SWI-B last year and Write with the Best is the perfect follow up. IEW does an awesome job of teaching structure and organization, and WWTB is providing excellent examples of great writing to imitate (a la Classical method) and help my DD develop her style.

I also like the way WWTB breaks up the lessons into manageable chunks. Instead of saying "write this paper and it's due in two weeks" the lessons are broken out into days something like this (off the top of my head):

Day 1: Read the passage and refer to guide on how to write XYZ

Day 2: Brainstorm ideas about a topic

Day 3: Do research and take notes

Day 4: Write an outline

Day 5: Write the introduction

Day 6......etc..... until Day 10: Final Draft

As for the previous post - I believe the Jules Verne passage is intended to demonstrate "style" not "structure". The lesson provides guidelines for structure and the student is meant to imitate Verne's style of descriptive writing.

BTW - isn't the original Jules Verne written in French and that's why there's a translation?

Good points!

I have held off posting on this thread because we haven't actually used it. But I do own Volume 1, so if anyone has any questions about it, fire away. We did use it for a week or two about three years ago, but my son didn't like the models. I'm sure he'd leap at the chance to use it now instead of Homer A! Homer A is enfuriating me with its models: "The son is come." My son, understandably, thought "come" was a predicate adjective. Bleah. Why is he even learning "is come" when nobody ever uses this anymore!!! OK, off rant. I feel so much better now. :)

Okay, one more Homer rant. Now bear in mind that I like this program, so I am allowed to rant at the models. But you might see why we certainly don't do dictation or copywork from Homer! The following is one sentence from a Homer model. One sentence. One. Uno.

"No sooner had the men in front ascended it and caught sight of the sea than a great cry arose, and Xenophon, in the rearguard, catching the sound of it, conjectured that another set of enemies must surely be attacking in front; for they were followed by the inhabitants of the country, which was all aflame; indeed the rearguard had killed some and captured others alive by laying an ambuscade; they had taken also about twenty wicker shields, covered with the raw hides of shaggy oxen."

I want a medal for sticking with this program (Homer). Seriously. No alloys, please.

Julie

:001_huh: :lol:

See, you guys have already helped me out a ton!

I was thinking that I was wanting to start with level 1 for 2 reasons... my boys are beginning "writers" but have a full and intense grasp of grammar and vocab (thank you Michael Clay Thompson!), but would enjoy the selections from 1 more than 2, so I might as well start there!

I like a lot of what I am looking at in the sample lesson (we were able to skip half of it, actually) but I needed a better idea of where it was going.

I had downloaded all these samples from different programs in an attempt to see which I would like and possibly get a full or half year of writing at the cost of ink & paper. I am finding that is not as easy to stick with as I had thought. :D

So it looks like I will be making a small Rainbow order in my future!

I am so glad that no one said it was horrible!

Well, yeah, that's my point. Part of studying great writing as a model, to me, would be seeing how the author chose his words, the sounds of the words, and the structure of the sentence. That was all done in French. The translation was written by someone else, who may or may not have been a great writer - there are certainly good translations and horrible translations of the same work. If words rhymed or had assonance or any kind of meter in the original, it would be very unlikely to survive in the English unless the words were cognates or the translator made up new words to fit. Sentence structure by definition must be changed. Something is always lost in translation - that's why I like reading the original wherever I can.

the curriculum does what I consider a cardinal sin in teaching. It shows an example of what they want the student to write, then tells them to implement it without enough foundation/explanation.

Personally, I love IEW! Structure AND Style are both taught gently with lots of practice. We're in our third year with IEW and my students continue to write heads and shoulders above their peers.

JMHO,

Teresa