Menu

All right, I think I've decided on Galore Park Science

LauraGB

I think.

Hate to bring up logic stage science again, but I would appreciate any experiences with these books: So You Really Want to Learn Science books 1 & 2 http://www.galorepark.co.uk/special-offers/31/ . I would like to keep with the 4 year cycle, so we would pull biology from these books this year, find something for astronomy next year, and pull again from the Galore books for chemistry and physics for 7th and 8th grades.

Is there enough in these books to accomplish all that thoroughly?

Thanks for any input!

Absolutely buy from Book Depository or from Ray at Horrible Books.

Are you wanting to take each portion of Books 1 and 2 and stretch it for the year? Like do the Life Science section of book 1, then follow it with the same section in Book 2? That would probably take the entire year.

I really don't see that this would be a problem. I imagine there would be some review, but review is good, right? But since book 2 is nearly double book 1, you'd get a whole lot of new material.

I don't own book 2 yet, but have used book 1 and we enjoyed it. Once dd veers off her rabbit trail (she wanted a whole year of Life Science because she was attracted to the cover of a text :D ), we will begin book 2.

Are you wanting to take each portion of Books 1 and 2 and stretch it for the year? Like do the Life Science section of book 1, then follow it with the same section in Book 2? That would probably take the entire year.

Well, my hope is to take the bio from book 1 and move right into the bio from book 2. I'm okay with subbing library books if my spine is meaty enough. Then, next year, I would shelf them and do a different spine for astronomy. Then, for 7th, take the chem from book 1, then move to book 2, and the same for 8th physics.

The price tag is huge, though; not for the books themselves, but the shipping is insane. Even with Book Depository, the shipping is included in the purchase price, and Horrible Books doesn't seem to have these science books (unless I somehow missed it). I'm okay with the investment if I can stretch it for a while, though.

Hence, the call for advice before I pull the final plug ;).

I second Ray. He is excellent and will get you a great price. The only issue EVER is waiting for his shipment (as he does it on a schedule). But as a person who also does a bunch of ordering books from Britain, it is so much better to do one large shipment than a bunch of little ones.

He is totally great!

...The price tag is huge, though; not for the books themselves, but the shipping is insane. Even with Book Depository, the shipping is included in the purchase price, and Horrible Books doesn't seem to have these science books ...

You don't have to have the answer books. At least, that's my experience so far (ds just finished chapter 7 of book 1). If you really need them for speed of checking answers and you're not reading the book, I suppose you might. But if you are following along in order to go over discussion questions, etc, it's fairly easy to determine whether your child is understanding the exercises and doing them properly. The prices for the books themselves aren't so bad. And my experiences with Book Depository have been very good. (My personal experiences with Ray at HB have been fine. But I've had several friends order from him and get the wrong books. It makes me hesitant to recommend him for books he doesn't stock.)

(My personal experiences with Ray at HB have been fine. But I've had several friends order from him and get the wrong books. It makes me hesitant to recommend him for books he doesn't stock.)
Ray once sent me the wrong book (Latin Prep Book 1 Answer Book instead of the Latin Prep Book 1 Workbook Answer Book). He promptly sent the correct book and threw in a Horrible Histories Magazine to boot.

Ray once sent me the wrong book (Latin Prep Book 1 Answer Book instead of the Latin Prep Book 1 Workbook Answer Book). He promptly sent the correct book and threw in a Horrible Histories Magazine to boot.

Yeah. My concern is that this has happened with his special orders. So if he didn't *have* the correct book with which to replace the mistake, the person ordering had to wait for his next order (months), or figure out a whole new plan. Time and hassle. If it had only happened once, I wouldn't have concerns recommending him. Now that it has happened to several friends, I just can't recommend him for anything but items he stocks any more. It's a shame. I once ordered nearly $1000 worth of stuff from him (for a class full of kids), and had a great experience.

Well, I have ordered from him several times, more than 5, less than 10.. and only ever had one problem and it was a fluke. The postage sticker was torn off. He had to re mail. I seem to remember getting a couple of free things in there.

That was when he first started this whole venture. I think it was on is second order.

On the whole, considering that he is one person making overseas orders for a bunch of people all over the country, he does a fabulous job.

Again, as I do british scholastic orders, it is a total pain, and I am glad when I can do some things through him instead of them. I do local orders which involve no mailing and I STILL get things screwed up!

I do understand that mistakes are easy to make, and that many of Ray's orders go off without a hitch. But I think anyone doing special order stuff with him for the purpose of saving a couple of dollars over Book Depository should recognize the trade-off they're making. They might get just what they ordered, just when Ray says they will. (I have, in the past.) Or they may end up with the wrong item and no way of getting the right one for months. If they're ordering for next year, that may be just fine. If they're trying to order for the near future, I can only recommend him for stuff he keeps in stock.

Does anyone know if the Book Depository is shipping as scheduled? (I seem to recall reading about a postal strike and Amazon just canceled a Galore Park book I was able to find on their website)

I ordered most recently from them on Oct 11 and they shipped on Oct 12. Haven't received the books yet, but expect to any day...

Does anyone know if the Book Depository is shipping as scheduled? (I seem to recall reading about a postal strike and Amazon just canceled a Galore Park book I was able to find on their website)

There are national strikes on Thursday and Friday this week. I don't know how much effect they will have.

Laura