Menu

"Recalculating Route"

Do you hear this from your GPS device frequently? Why doesn't the ding-dong thing tell you that, besides the fact that you have to turn left at the next intersection, that the road you just turned right onto is a four-lane one-way street??? That would be kinda helpful to know since you plan on turning left, don'tcha think?

I don't have a GPS device and now I'm thinking I may not ever bother. A dear friend took Dd17 and me to Baltimore Saturday night and her GPS kept giving us the lamest directions. We ended up entering the parking lot at RFK Stadium at one point because we "kept to the left" as the GPS kept repeating instructions to do so, only to find that it meant the left lane of the right part of the highway that was splitting into two major sections. Ohhhhhh, I see, not the left-left, the right-left.:tongue_smilie:

Just curious what y'all think of the value of these new-fangled techno gizmos.:D

Mine does the left-left vs the right-left thing, too, but I've learned to recognize it. To handle the left-left vs right-left thing, I figured out that my GPS has a little map on it showing where my car is in relation to the road. So, if I'm not sure if it's a left-left or a right-left, I can glance at the map and immediately see.

As far as letting you know when you have to get into the far left lane of a 4 lane road to make the turn...well, you wouldn't know that anyway if you used a map or mapquest, so you can't really hold that against the GPS device. My GPS hasn't ever taken me the wrong way on a one-way road. That's odd.

With a GPS device, you're not having to keep taking your eyes from the road to read your map or directions. You only have to glance at the GPS occasionally and it shows you exactly where you are, if it's a complex road. On a simple road you never have to look at the thing. That makes it safer in the long run.

Also, if you're in an entirely foreign city or place, you know you'll eventually find a way out of it because the GPS will lead you out. If you only have a map or your printed directions from mapquest to lead you, it can be a lot harder to find your way out.

I love my GPS, now that I figured out the left-left right-left thing. Other than being confused by that for a few times, my GPS hasn't led me wrong. And mine doesn't tell me it's recalculating. It just does it.

You were in Baltimore. I'll be visiting there on Thursday. (We live in PA) Do you live in VA or are you in the Baltimore area now? (Your name is Kathleen in VA.)

My Tom Tom is a huge source of stress for me. I wanted it to help me get to all our field trips, but I'm still having to do google maps because the TT can send me in the regular direction frequently.

The recalculating route happens some but not often.

Technology is a huge source of stress for me. When it's not working right, I really get angry! I know it's really stupid but I do it anyway.

:glare:

Mine does the left-left vs the right-left thing, too, but I've learned to recognize it. To handle the left-left vs right-left thing, I figured out that my GPS has a little map on it showing where my car is in relation to the road. So, if I'm not sure if it's a left-left or a right-left, I can glance at the map and immediately see.

As far as letting you know when you have to get into the far left lane of a 4 lane road to make the turn...well, you wouldn't know that anyway if you used a map or mapquest, so you can't really hold that against the GPS device. My GPS hasn't ever taken me the wrong way on a one-way road. That's odd.

With a GPS device, you're not having to keep taking your eyes from the road to read your map or directions. You only have to glance at the GPS occasionally and it shows you exactly where you are, if it's a complex road. On a simple road you never have to look at the thing. That makes it safer in the long run.

Also, if you're in an entirely foreign city or place, you know you'll eventually find a way out of it because the GPS will lead you out. If you only have a map or your printed directions from mapquest to lead you, it can be a lot harder to find your way out.

I love my GPS, now that I figured out the left-left right-left thing. Other than being confused by that for a few times, my GPS hasn't led me wrong. And mine doesn't tell me it's recalculating. It just does it.

You were in Baltimore. I'll be visiting there on Thursday. (We live in PA) Do you live in VA or are you in the Baltimore area now? (Your name is Kathleen in VA.)

I didn't have the advantage of being able to glance at the map so maybe that's what the problem was. I was in the passenger seat and the GPS was titled towards the driver.

It didn't take us the wrong way on a one-way road. It just said something like, "Turn right on Oak Street." After we turned on Oak Street it immediately said, "Turn left on Maple Street." The problem was that Oak street was a four-lane one-way street - you know, four lanes all going the same direction. Well, of course, if you just turned right onto a street you will be in the right lane. "Maple Street" was the very next intersection only a about 50 feet away so when we needed to turn left we were still in the far right lane of four lanes. It took us a few seconds to even realize we were on a one-way road. Does that make sense? Needless to say we went right through the intersection as it was impossible to get over three lanes in 50 feet with all the traffic.

No, I'm not in Baltimore now - just drove up to go to a concert.:)

I definitely see the advantage of being able to work oneself out of a hole if you get turned around. I guess it was just driving me nuts that we kept getting in holes.

ETA: We were driving in pouring rain in rush hour traffic, too, so glancing at the GPS probably didn't seem like the safest option for my friend, ya know?

Edited by Kathleen in VA
one-way, not one-lane, lol

They have their glitches, but without one I would barely leave the house. Seriously. I was doing relatively okay without one by printing off directions from the computer, but if the directions were wrong, or I missed a road there was no "recalculating." I'd usually pull over, have a panic-attack (being lost is one of my biggest fears) and call DH hyperventilating and crying so he could either come find me, or give me directions over the phone so I could get myself home. I know with my GPS that if all else fails and I can't find my destination for whatever reason, I can at least hit the "home" button and get back home! We inherited an old one from FIL when he upgraded, and that one was really slow and buggy. I got a new one last year for my b-day, and it's just all kinds of wonderful! It's not always 100% accurate, but I haven't gotten lost to the point where I've had to hit the "home" button. Yet.

If your sense of direction is anywhere near as bad as mine, a GPS truly is more of a necessity than a luxury! It gives me the confidence to venture out there into the world.

They have their glitches, but without one I would barely leave the house. Seriously. I was doing relatively okay without one by printing off directions from the computer, but if the directions were wrong, or I missed a road there was no "recalculating." I'd usually pull over, have a panic-attack (being lost is one of my biggest fears) and call DH hyperventilating and crying so he could either come find me, or give me directions over the phone so I could get myself home. I know with my GPS that if all else fails and I can't find my destination for whatever reason, I can at least hit the "home" button and get back home! We inherited an old one from FIL when he upgraded, and that one was really slow and buggy. I got a new one last year for my b-day, and it's just all kinds of wonderful! It's not always 100% accurate, but I haven't gotten lost to the point where I've had to hit the "home" button. Yet.

If your sense of direction is anywhere near as bad as mine, a GPS truly is more of a necessity than a luxury! It gives me the confidence to venture out there into the world.

Which kind do you have? (brand, that is)

I love my GPS and it's the only reason I'm able to travel here in Europe without my husband. The only time it gives the recalculating route prompt is when I didn't take the turn it prompted me to to begin with, or there's a traffic problem ahead and it's going to let me choose to bypass that with a different route.

I love my GPS and it's the only reason I'm able to travel here in Europe without my husband. The only time it gives the recalculating route prompt is when I didn't take the turn it prompted me to to begin with, or there's a traffic problem ahead and it's going to let me choose to bypass that with a different route.

I meant to put a goofy smiley with that thread title. I know the reason we kept getting that message was we kept messing up and not doing what it was telling us to do. After a while it got to be pretty hilarious and we would bust out laughing.:D It was just going so fast and we'd miss the turn (see above about one-way street incident) and then we'd hear it say "recalculating route." The one-way street problem occurred more than once. Fortunately we didn't run into any traffic problems - just couldn't keep up with the thing!

Edited by Kathleen in VA

I have that message from mine when I take a wrong turn, choose my route, or if the map has not been updated to a new road. For example, we have a new bridge built about 100 feet from the old one, which was torn down. I still get fussed at by "GyPSy" for not taking "her" route, but it's the same silly road! When the maps update it should clear up the problem.

I highly, highly recommend a Garmin. I've had other brands and they've gone straight back to the store. My informal research led me to a Garmin by overwhelming favorable information. I'd never purchase a GPS based on features, but on its accuracy. I have three Garmins now; one for my car, one for dh's vehicle, and a handheld unit for geocaching. You'll find people brand loyal to others but, I will stick to Garmin as long as their accuracy is very high and their mapping is kept current.

It's not perfect, but it is so much better than printing off maps and trying to read them while driving. I wouldn't go back to not having one.

I have a Garmin, also, but it does some crazy things here in Austin. I understand that it is the fault of the humans who entered data into whatever database the GPS gets its info, but still...when I'm driving down Loop 1 (AKA Texas 1, AKA Mopac) and the GPS says "exit left on Duval," when (1) there is no left exit and (2) I'm going south and Duval goes east/west, I want to hurt the GPS.:glare:

I also print a map before I leave the house, just in case.