Menu

Okay what does "IU" mean in vitamins?

Currently, I am taking Omega-3, Garlic, and Grapeseed Extract. Since I live in New England, we get very little sun and it is to cold to be outside. I had "heard" that taking Vitamin D could be good. Plus I have borderline Hypertension and heard that it might good for that as well. I saw a bottle of Vitamin D3, 1000 IU. But I do not know what that means,(D3 and IU??) and can I take that with the other supplements I am taking?

Currently, I am taking Omega-3, Garlic, and Grapeseed Extract. Since I live in New England, we get very little sun and it is to cold to be outside. I had "heard" that taking Vitamin D could be good. Plus I have borderline Hypertension and heard that it might good for that as well. I saw a bottle of Vitamin D3, 1000 IU. But I do not know what that means,(D3 and IU??) and can I take that with the other supplements I am taking?

IU stands for International Units - it's the measurement for used for vitamins among other things (kind of like mg = milligrams). D3 is the form of vitamin D which is in your pill.

As for you last question, I *think* taking D with your other supplements is OK; but, if I were you, I'd double check that with a more reputable source than me. :tongue_smilie:

International Units is I.U. :D

Sheryl