Menu

Vision Therapy

Jkodman

We did. It made a huge difference for my son. I think a big part of that was our in home work. I did everything they told us to do regularly. But the change was dramatic. He can track now (he couldn't at all prior) and focus in on close work without fatigue. He was so weak in convergence that he couldn't even catch a ball. Huge changes here.

Thanks, dr. says he has disorder of written expression and ADHD. He is having a problem in writing and math. His reading and reading comprehension is above grade level. She seems to believe he may have a problem with symbols and processing and then putting it on paper. He also has really bad eyesight. Has worn very strong glasses since 22 months. He also had eye surgery 3 years ago to adjust muscles in eye. One eye is considerably stronger so the weaker eye will turn in when he doesn't wear glasses. I am wondering if therapy can help these issues?

Thanks.

My youngest had vision therapy at 6yo. Before VT, she was always crashing into door frames and clipping the corners of furniture tha tshe walked past. She had double vision, eye suppression, limited depth perception, eye jerking when attempting to follow a moving object or sweep eyes, and difficulty with changing focus near-to-far or far-to-near. VT corrected all of that.

VT does NOT correct dyslexia. Visual efficiency issues can often look like dyslexia. If your child's reading issues go away completely with nothing other than VT, then you know that your child is not dyslexic. In my dd's case, the visual efficiency problems were corrected, but it became clear that she was also dyslexic.

I don't think my dd would have been able to learn to read as quickly as she did (on grade level by the end of 4th grade) if she hadn't had VT.

VT was amazing for our DD. She was barely reading at a 1st grade level, skipping words and whole lines, flipping letters, reading the first and last letter of a word and guessing at the middle, unable to follow a math problem, etc. After accelerated VT (we did 9 months worth in 3 months, double sessions 3x a week), she gained 2 1/2 grade levels in reading, went to grade level on math and became much more confident in school. It was well worth every penny in her case.

VT can't solve every vision problem, but it is definitely worth having a developmental vision evaluation done and finding out exactly what you are dealing with. A good VT will be able to tell you how much it will benefit your child.

Thanks, dr. says he has disorder of written expression and ADHD. He is having a problem in writing and math. His reading and reading comprehension is above grade level. She seems to believe he may have a problem with symbols and processing and then putting it on paper. He also has really bad eyesight. Has worn very strong glasses since 22 months. He also had eye surgery 3 years ago to adjust muscles in eye. One eye is considerably stronger so the weaker eye will turn in when he doesn't wear glasses. I am wondering if therapy can help these issues?

Thanks.

Disorder of written expression is another way of saying dysgraphia.

There are other websites out there but covd.org is the place I began and it explains so much about vision therapy.

For my son vision therapy has been wonderful. It has definately changed our lives for the better. He has serious tracking issues among some other issues. He also has one eye that is much stronger than the other. To help correct that he has done activities wearing special glasses, patches, prisms, and more for a few minutes at a time. The vision therapist is the only one that addressed his vision in this way. Since beginning VT his reading has improved, his math has grown in leaps... I believe it is all because he can finally see the symbols enough to comprehend them. I can't recommend VT enough. Before we began we were told that our son was likely profoundly dyslexic. Now, he still has some dyslexic tendancies but the vision has improved so much that he is like a different kid.

She seems to believe he may have a problem with symbols and processing and then putting it on paper. He also has really bad eyesight. Has worn very strong glasses since 22 months. He also had eye surgery 3 years ago to adjust muscles in eye. One eye is considerably stronger so the weaker eye will turn in when he doesn't wear glasses. I am wondering if therapy can help these issues?

Thanks.

Vision therapy won't help the acuity problem. If he needs glasses for that, he will likely always them. However, it's possible that both eyes aren't working well together, even with the glasses, and that he's experiencing some visual confusion as a result. At a minimum, I would have him evaluated by a developmental optometrist.

Rod Everson

OnTrack Reading

Has anyone here every used vision therapy for their child? My son had an evaluation from a psychologist and she recommended this. Thanks.

We are just now beginning vision therapy with my dd 8.

I have great hopes that it will help her because I have read about and personally seen soooo many cases where it changed kids lives.

It's too early to tell though how my dd will do with it. We just had our 1st official session yesterday. Perhaps we'll know more after a few more sessions.