Menu

Amish heaters from paper

My parents had purchased one the year before and after seeing their's last Thanksgiving we decided to purchase one for our living room. We really enjoy it and it is so nice not to worry about the kids getting hurt on it. The top is cool enough for the cats to lay on if they want to. The glass in the front is cool enough to place my hand on if I wanted to. We didn't see much of an increase in our power bill at all.

I also worried about it looking "tacky", but ours looks nice and the fireplace effect is not too fake looking. :) It sure makes our living room cozier. Hope this helps.

Cindy

My parents had purchased one the year before and after seeing their's last Thanksgiving we decided to purchase one for our living room. We really enjoy it and it is so nice not to worry about the kids getting hurt on it. The top is cool enough for the cats to lay on if they want to. The glass in the front is cool enough to place my hand on if I wanted to. We didn't see much of an increase in our power bill at all.

I also worried about it looking "tacky", but ours looks nice and the fireplace effect is not too fake looking. :) It sure makes our living room cozier. Hope this helps.

Cindy

Does it actually warm the room in a noticeable way? Can you feel heat if you stand in front of it? Or is it just ambience?

I saw them on QVC or HSN, can't remember which last week. They were claiming to be wonderful, I think even free shipping..possibly cheaper than the price in teh paper. Quite often there are customer reviews on those websites. They had a cut a way and it was solid wood. Looked nice.

When I looked into supplementary heating for one of our basement rooms, the oil filled electric space heaters (kind of look like an old fashioned radiator) were recommended as the most energy efficient. I think you can get them for under $100. They're quiet, they have a thermostat so you can set it and just leave it on. They do take a while to warm up but once warm, they put out a reasonable amount of heat but they are not hot to touch.

I agree with googling for the scoop on the amish heaters.