Menu

History lovers, I just finished a great book.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

I checked it out because it was a mystery by a British author from the first half of the 20th century. Boy was I surprised!

This book is like a subtle treatise on the nature of historical accounts and history books through the investigation into the deaths of the princes in the tower. I learned so much! I think that was the whole point.

Highly recommended.

Is this book appropriate for a mystery loving just-barely teenager?

ETA: Yes, I do know the story revolves around Richard III and whether he killed his nephews, so obviously a bit gruesome....but is it too much for a teen? We have already studied Richard III so they know of the story, and we've seen the Shakespeare play.

Edited by ConnieB

Guest Virginia Dawn

It doesn't get gruesome at all, as far as I can remember. The background setting is modern, a policeman who is laid up in the hospital becomes interested in Richard III and decides to try to solve the mystery with the help of a researcher friend. It has lots of British history. I did have to read through parts more than once to understand which Edward or Elizabeth the author was talking about in a given conversation.

Is this book appropriate for a mystery loving just-barely teenager?

ETA: Yes, I do know the story revolves around Richard III and whether he killed his nephews, so obviously a bit gruesome....but is it too much for a teen? We have already studied Richard III so they know of the story, and we've seen the Shakespeare play.

I first read it as a teen (don't remember how far advanced into the teen years I was, though, sorry). I didn't find it gruesome at all. A really wonderful book!

• 2 weeks later...