Menu

Would you go to the hospital?

My mom had surgery on Tuesday. We were all at the hospital all day Tuesday being exposed to all those germs! YUK! We were planning on going to visit her today, but the hospital now isn't allowing children under 18 due to the flu. I have a 10 yr old dd. I could leave her with a friend. Should my dh and I still go visit and risk catching something? Or just keep in contact via the phone? She should be release either tomorrow or Saturday. My mom says she's ok if we don't visit, but does she really mean it is the question. My dad did visit her this morning. I really love my mom and would like to see her, but I also don't want any of us to get sick. Please help me decide!

Hmmm, tough call. I'd leave DD with the friend....kids are not very good at not touching things. They touch their faces a lot too. If you went, I'd just not touch anything till you got into her room and then use hand sanitizer. Same for leaving her room....try not to touch anything and then use hand sanitizer once at your car.

My mom had surgery on Tuesday. We were all at the hospital all day Tuesday being exposed to all those germs! YUK! We were planning on going to visit her today, but the hospital now isn't allowing children under 18 due to the flu. I have a 10 yr old dd. I could leave her with a friend. Should my dh and I still go visit and risk catching something? Or just keep in contact via the phone? She should be release either tomorrow or Saturday. My mom says she's ok if we don't visit, but does she really mean it is the question. My dad did visit her this morning. I really love my mom and would like to see her, but I also don't want any of us to get sick. Please help me decide!

If you're healthy, I'd go. That rule is more to protect the patients from the visitors than the visitors from the patients.

I'd go unless you have a preemie baby or some other health reason that you shouldn't be exposed to germs. I would venture to guess that you are probably more likely to catch swine flu from church or a playgroup than at the hospital. Most people in the hospital aren't there for flu...in fact, most people in the hospital aren't there for "catchy" things. I'd go see your mom.

Personally I would get some N95 masks and go. The hospital is a lonely place, and you can get sick from anywhere (you mom could be a carrier for days after coming home even). We have spent a good bit of time at the hospital and clinic this year without getting sick. If you take precautions, then you should be fine. The no kid rule is more to protect the patients than the kids, so there should be less exposure that way.