Menu

If you plan to get the H1N1 vaccine, but refuse to get the mist...

why? I am especially interested to hear Perry's reason, if you don't mind sharing.

The mist is live, weakened virus, but my kids are healthy. My dh has asthma. Could them getting the vaccine make them shed it to him?

The mist has no thermirosal - so I would have thought that would be a plus.

I am just confused.

The virus is weakened, and although it can be shed, it's shed in low amounts and the rate of transmitting it to others seems to be very low. Also, while there is a theoretical risk of reverting to a more virulent (disease causing) strain, that hasn't been observed to happen. Flumist does seem to be somewhat more effective than the shot.

From CDC

Can people receiving the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) pass the vaccine viruses to others?

In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely. The current estimated risk of getting infected with vaccine virus after close contact with a person vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine is low (0.6%-2.4%). Because the viruses are weakened, infection is unlikely to result in influenza illness symptoms since the vaccine viruses have not been shown to mutate into typical or naturally occurring influenza viruses.

Can contacts of people with weakened immune systems get the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®)?

People who are in contact with others with severely weakened immune systems when they are being cared for in a protective environment (for example, people with hematopoietic stem cell transplants), should not get LAIV (FluMist®). People who have contact with others with lesser degrees of immunosuppression (for example, people with diabetes, people with asthma taking corticosteroids, or people infected with HIV) can get LAIV (FluMist®).

So the likelihood of transmitting it to a household member is low (<2%). There is a risk, but it's small. OTOH, if you have to wait for 2 months for the shot, there is a much higher risk of being exposed to influenza. It's a trade-off.

My dh already had the mist (and he's fine). I'm too old and they won't give it to me.

If it were available to the kids now, I'd give it to them, but it isn't and will probably be available (to us) at the same time as the shot, so time isn't a factor. The only reason I'd choose the shot over the mist is that my son had a lot of wheezing when he was younger. He doesn't have asthma, but I'm a little reluctant to take the chance that it's going to cause problems for him. Maybe I'll have my girls get the mist and ds the shot. I haven't decided yet, but I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other. We'll probably get whatever is available and most convenient.

I don't want to get a mist because I can't stand having things sprayed up my nose.

That struck me as funny. Legitimate, but funny.:D

Rebecca I am so glad you keep asking these questions!

Perry, my son has allergy-induced asthma, so he is only on his breather when it acts up, and not at all right now. I think I've decided we will get the vax, but not sure mist or shot. Sounds like since we have a son with asthma, and have close contact with severely immunocompromised grandparents (diabetes, arthritis, and more) that the shot is best for us? No?

We are all getting the shot. I have asthma, another disease that complicates respitory diseases, and have been on immunosuppressants just last week. My youngest tends to get asthma attacks only with some viruses and wasp stings. My dh has exercise and cold induced wheezing at times. ALl three of us need to get the shot. THe other two could get the mist but with my immunosuppressant history and high risk of complications, I will have them get the shot.

Perry, my son has allergy-induced asthma, so he is only on his breather when it acts up, and not at all right now. I think I've decided we will get the vax, but not sure mist or shot. Sounds like since we have a son with asthma, and have close contact with severely immunocompromised grandparents (diabetes, arthritis, and more) that the shot is best for us? No?

My son has very mild allergy induced asthma as well induced by a cold.. but mild, usually if he is having a coughing fit, I will give him his xoponex inhaler.

The only H1N1 available now (Nov 1) is the mist. I'm wondering if my ds should get the mist or wait for the shot. My dc HATES shots, probably more than the average child.

What did you decide?

why? I am especially interested to hear Perry's reason, if you don't mind sharing.

The mist is live, weakened virus, but my kids are healthy. My dh has asthma. Could them getting the vaccine make them shed it to him?

The mist has no thermirosal - so I would have thought that would be a plus.

I am just confused.

I haven't read through this thread yet, but did a search for h1n1 after a conversation with my health dept today.

I've been going back and forth over whether or not to get the vaccine and right now I'm leaning towards the shot. One of my girls is unable to receive flu mist due to previous reactive airway issues. I called our local health dept to find out if they had the shot yet and the woman started asking me questions. Basically I was told that the only way my girls could receive the shot was if there was a medical reason they could not get the mist. I hadn't heard anything like this before. Anyone else out there with similar a similar story?

I haven't read through this thread yet, but did a search for h1n1 after a conversation with my health dept today.

I've been going back and forth over whether or not to get the vaccine and right now I'm leaning towards the shot. One of my girls is unable to receive flu mist due to previous reactive airway issues. I called our local health dept to find out if they had the shot yet and the woman started asking me questions. Basically I was told that the only way my girls could receive the shot was if there was a medical reason they could not get the mist. I hadn't heard anything like this before. Anyone else out there with similar a similar story?

All I know is that our health department asked which we preferred and encouraged us go with the mist since our kids were healthy, so more of the shot could be used for those who need it. We could have gone with the shot if we really wanted to. We didn't have to show anything to prove that our kids were in a higher risk group (e.g., actually in the susceptible age range) either.

My son has very mild allergy induced asthma as well induced by a cold.. but mild, usually if he is having a coughing fit, I will give him his xoponex inhaler.

The only H1N1 available now (Nov 1) is the mist. I'm wondering if my ds should get the mist or wait for the shot. My dc HATES shots, probably more than the average child.

What did you decide?

I am writing with a migraine approaching -- pls forgive me if I don't make sense:

DS has asthma - allergy induced, seasonally induced (temperature swings), and we treat is as described above: xoponex inhaler and pulmicort inhaler with excellent results. I asked the Ped last week during a visit which she recommended. With Ds' asthma, she said all three children should receive the shot...which become problematic since this morning I received an email from Fairfax County Health stating thus:

News from the Fairfax County Health Department:

H1N1 Vaccination Clinic, October 24 at Fairfax County Government Center

Open to Children 6-36 months, Pregnant Women

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends a flu vaccine as

the single best way to protect against influenza illness, including the 2009

H1N1 Influenza virus. Due to delays in the production of 2009 H1N1 vaccine, the

Fairfax County Health Department (FCHD) has developed a mass vaccination plan

that matches the limited supply of vaccine currently available, which is

significantly less than anticipated. The Health Department currently does not

have enough vaccine available to hold the vaccination clinics that were

scheduled to be held in ten Fairfax County schools on October 24 and 25.

The Fairfax County Health Department will hold a mass vaccination clinic on

Saturday, October 24 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Fairfax County

Government Center (12000 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, VA 22035).

Approximately 10,000 doses of 2009 H1N1 vaccine will be available on October 24.

Based on the quantity of vaccine available, and in an effort to vaccinate those

at high risk of influenza-related complications, the October 24 clinic will be

open to all children 6 months to 36 months of age and pregnant women. Children

in this age range and pregnant women are among the target groups identified by

the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to receive the 2009 H1N1

vaccine when it first becomes available. The vaccine is voluntary and will be

offered on a walk-in basis, free of charge. Seasonal flu vaccine will not be

available at this clinic.

The October 24 clinic will not be the only opportunity to receive 2009 H1N1

vaccine. The FCHD is committed to vaccinating target populations, including

school-aged children, as quickly as vaccine becomes available. Depending on the

quantities of vaccine available each week, vaccine will be distributed through

the Health Department’s district offices or mass vaccination clinics.

Updated information, about the availability and distribution of 2009 H1N1

vaccine, including consent form and vaccination information statements, is on

the county’s web site at: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/flu/h1n1-vaccine-distribution.htm

For more information, visit the county’s flu information web page at

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/flu/ or call the Fairfax County Health Department

at

703-267-3511.

SO: I would imagine that the longer my children go without receiving the vaccine, the less likely I will be to have them vaccinated. I have no desire to stand in some line with thousands of people ahead of me (which in Fairfax County is quite likely) -- must go -- my head hurts!

[sO: I would imagine that the longer my children go without receiving the vaccine, the less likely I will be to have them vaccinated. I have no desire to stand in some line with thousands of people ahead of me (which in Fairfax County is quite likely) -- must go -- my head hurts!

That is what I am worried about! He can get the mist next week OR he will likely not be able to get the vax in time and may get h1n1.

Hope your head feels better! :)