Menu

What is the best tricycle or scooter?

Don't know how much you want to spend, but if you have a Performance Bike nearby, they have an AWESOME trike THAT IS ON SALE RIGHT NOW that will grow with your ds. Every time dds are at this store (which is a lot with a bike-commuting Daddy), they RUN back to the trike and hop on it. It was even easy for LLL when she was 2 to pedal.

We have a standard little red trike by Radio Flyer, and it was SO HARD for both girls to pedal, so they ditched it and we went straight to bikes...now they ride it, but they are way to big for it, and it's more of a funny thing...

What about scooters? Dd will be 7 at Christmas, would a razor-type be ok, or do I need to get her one with wider/bigger wheels?

I think the ability to balance is the key. My dd5 has been riding a bike without training wheels since last year, shortly before she turned five, and she can use a razor (standard skinny wheel kind).

I agree with the poster who mentioned Big Wheels. My DD5 got one last year for Christmas when she was 4. It is awesome!!! She got the Radio Flyer one on the link that was posted. It is really sturdy, the front wheel has grips on it so that it does not spin out when trying to take off, and the seat is adjustable. I dont think your two year old could handle it yet....I know that mine can't. But my five year old rides it often. I like it better than a tricycle because there is no tip-over danger. Last year for Christmas, I got DD a scooter, but then took it back and got the Big Wheel.

I would say razor scooter because my boys 6.5 and 5 love their razor scooters. They got them last year for christmas and they are a hit.

If you wait until the end of Oct early Nov you can get the razor for $20.00 from BJ'S or Toys R US.

Side note:Now they want skate boards! I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

What about scooters? Dd will be 7 at Christmas, would a razor-type be ok, or do I need to get her one with wider/bigger wheels?

Honestly, I think the Razor type is fine. My four year old uses the Razor scooter with one leg high in the air and she can go the entire driveway like that. Because of the scooter, she's can ride a two-wheel.

We just had a regular Radio Flyer tricycle. All my kids started on it at 2 and had no problems.

Louise

My 3 and 6 year olds both have Razors. The 3yo has this one (the pink one is $29), and the 6yo has this one ($45). I got the more expensive one for my older daughter only because I wanted to have one that could also support DH's weight. The Razor Pro's max weight is 220lbs, while the Razor A's max weight is 143lbs. The Pro's handlebars go a few inches higher than the A's as well.

Note: helmets are essential with scooters, much more so than on tricycles. If a child hits a bump going too slow, she'll pitch right over the handles and land on her face/head. So if you don't have helmets yet, that should be part 2 of the birthday gift!

Edited by jplain
added more detail

How close to 3 is she?

On the younger side of 2 I would get a trike with a parent push bar. We had a kettler which held up well through 2 kids. You could lock the pedals when they just wanted to ride or unlock them and let them pedal while you helped steer. Once they were riding comfortably the parent bar detached.

If she is closer to 3 I would recommend something like a big wheel or a 12" bike if she has experience pedaling something. Our younger girl has been able to ride the hand me down bike she got from her sister fairly well since about 2 1/2 and at 3 (in less than a month!) can race back and forth on it with no problem (with training wheels of course).

We got my daughter a Big Wheel when she was three. I loved the idea and that they are close to the ground, but my daughter wasn't able to pedal them. You have to pedal with your legs up in the air, rather than pushing down. It's a more challenging action. I would try to have her try one before you got a Big Wheel.

We wound up getting a radio flyer trike. The other thing you might consider is a pedal less bike.