Menu

So, HE washer users, which detergent??

I've been using Tide HE anyway because it's the only one I could find in original scent and dh wanted Tide (I used Melaleuca for years but he is certain that is why his clothes smelled like sour milk - but, of course, it wasn't).

Which ones do you like/dislike? Also, how much do you wind up using in a load to get your clothes smelling fresh?

I actually make my own detergent out of ivory soap, borax, and washing powder. You can add essential oil for smell. It took less than $10 in start up materials and I don't forsee myself buying detergent for a good while. I use 1/4 cup per load. I was skeptical that this would work, but it got out the 3 day old chocolate milk stain from my youngest's shirt-so I am sold.

Here are the only 3 brands I use. Now remember I have had mine 6 years and it has never, ever been moldy or left a bad smell. I use less detergent than is recommended and found that the clothes actually come out cleaner.

For Powder:

Sears HE unscented

For Liquid:

Tide Unscented HE (I use about 1/2 of what it says to use)

Costco HE Liquid Unscented

Sears HE Unscented

For Fabric softener I use never more than a tablespoon, I was told by the service man at the beginning that to much laundry soap and to much fabric softener were responsible for many of the mold issues. Not sure if that is true, but it has held out true in my case since I have not had issues.

Several years ago Consumer Reports rated the Sears and Costco HE detergents the best buy.

I only use ALL Free & Clear, mainly because of allergy issues. I've noticed that if I leave the washer door open after the last load until the drum is dry, I don't get that moldy smell. Also, it takes MUCH less detergent than the bottle says. But that only saves me even more money. :)

and only use 1/2 a scoop. Its the only HE detergent available around here so I haven't compared it to any others.

I've found it especially important to use powder because the liquid builds up and causes (its actually one of several causes in our case) a moldy smell. Liquid fabric softener will cause the same problem.

Hope this helps!

I actually make my own detergent out of ivory soap, borax, and washing powder. You can add essential oil for smell. It took less than $10 in start up materials and I don't forsee myself buying detergent for a good while. I use 1/4 cup per load. I was skeptical that this would work, but it got out the 3 day old chocolate milk stain from my youngest's shirt-so I am sold.

I would love to give this a try. :001_smile: