Menu

Please list your ONE favorite not-to-be-missed Civil War book for 8th grade. Thanks!

Janie

Thanks! When I was homeschooling, we probably read 2 dozen CW books. Now that I'm teaching in a traditional classroom, I've used Across Five Aprils one year (most students didn't respond well to that one) and Rifles for Watie for the past two years. Rifles is ho-hum also with most students.

I wish the students were advanced enough to use Shaara's books, but they aren't.

I'm thinking of changing the book for next year, and I like the idea of Red Badge of Courage. Thanks, Christy! That's a real possibility. :)

Across Five Aprils

Blessings,

Lisa

:iagree:

It does make a difference if it's a read-aloud vs. an independent reader. I read this aloud to my ds, with as much southern expression as I could come up with, and with a lot of conversation during the first chapter. We both loved it. It illustrates so many different viewpoints and situations, all in one book.

Julie

I recently went to a Scholastic Warehouse sale and picked up a book by Avi... "Iron Thunder".

It was a great book about the battle between the Monitor and the Merrimac...written through the eyes of a young boy that was hired on as a crew member.

I *REALLY* liked it -- I think I read it in two evenings!! :)

Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Thunder-I-Witness-Avi/dp/1423104463

I second The Red Badge of Courage. It is a bit harder to read because it is more stream of consciousness in style (though beautifully written!) but it is a powerful book! And it is a short book! So I think an 8th grader could read it. I think of Across Five Aprils and Rifles for Watie as more for 6th grade or so. Though both are excellent books and could definitely be used in 8th grade as well.

I second The Red Badge of Courage. It is a bit harder to read because it is more stream of consciousness in style (though beautifully written!) but it is a powerful book! And it is a short book! So I think an 8th grader could read it. I think of Across Five Aprils and Rifles for Watie as more for 6th grade or so. Though both are excellent books and could definitely be used in 8th grade as well.

I agree with this. We did Across Five Aprils as a read aloud, dd read Rifles for Watie in 6th or 7th grade, and The Red Badge of Courage as an 8th grader.