Menu

Does this sound like a normal dosage of Amoxicillin?

I was just looking at my dd's prescription for Amox. and I noticed that it is 875 mg. per tablet twice a day. I am pretty sure that the standard adult dosage is 500 mg per tablet per day for an adult and my dd is 10. Is it possible that the doc miscalculated the dosage? The pharmacist didn't question is but I wonder. Does anyone know?

My ds (age 10) is on Amoxicillin (liquid) right now. There are 250 mg/5mL of his medicine and his dose is 3 tsp/15 mL (750 mg) twice a day. The dosage is based on weight and he weighs roughly 95 pounds. I'd call your pharmacist just to double check! Your prescription does sound a little higher than normal.

I was just looking at my dd's prescription for Amox. and I noticed that it is 875 mg. per tablet twice a day. I am pretty sure that the standard adult dosage is 500 mg per tablet per day for an adult and my dd is 10. Is it possible that the doc miscalculated the dosage? The pharmacist didn't question is but I wonder. Does anyone know?

It's fine. The recommendations have changed in the last few years. Twice a day recommended dose is 60-90 mg/kg/day (depending on who's talking). Average 10 year old girl weighs about 75 lbs or 32kg. 32*60=1920, 1920/2=960 mg twice a day. (I don't know what your dd weighs so am using this as an example) Doses are approximate, they don't have to be exact at all. Pills come in 500mg and 875mg, so they chose the 875mg.

epocrates

otitis media, acute

[>3 mo]Dose: 80-90 mg/kg/day PO div q8-12h x10 days; Alt: 40-50 mg/kg/day PO div q8-12h

It's fine. The recommendations have changed in the last few years. Twice a day recommended dose is 60-90 mg/kg/day (depending on who's talking). Average 10 year old girl weighs about 75 lbs or 32kg. 32*60=1920, 1920/2=960 mg twice a day. (I don't know what your dd weighs so am using this as an example) Doses are approximate, they don't have to be exact at all. Pills come in 500mg and 875mg, so they chose the 875mg.

epocrates

She weighs right at 100 so I guess that's about right then. Thanks. Now I can move on to worrying about the puking child. :crying: By the way, if your children have never gone to PS and then start when they are 12, it seems they will get sick with every illness that they have missed in the last 12 years at home. Fun times I tell ya.

It's fine. The recommendations have changed in the last few years. Twice a day recommended dose is 60-90 mg/kg/day (depending on who's talking). .......... Doses are approximate, they don't have to be exact at all. Pills come in 500mg and 875mg, so they chose the 875mg.

epocrates

:iagree: In pharmacy we see doses this high, and higher, depending on the infection and how severe the infection is. We sometimes call and verify high amoxicillin dosages, but I personally, have never had a time when the doctor didn't have a reason for the higher dose.

Amoxicillin is a good drug, been used for years and has fewer side effects than a lot of other antibiotics.