Menu

Mystery of History what is the attraction?

love2read

It's written in conversational/narrative style, integrates biblical and historical events, and includes multiple levels of enrichment activities (lower, middle, and upper). There's actually a lot to like about MOH. MOH1 isn't as rigorous as what you'd expect for the target age (junior high), but there's a big step up from MOH1 to MOH2. Personally, I think MOH1 would have been right on for us about 3rd or 4th. We're using it as a supplement now as we read through the Guerber's Story of the Ancient World. MOH1 will clue me in to something interesting Guerber skipped or give me ideas for hands-on. I don't care for the writing style, and it doesn't have enough content at this point to be our spine. But I can see how some people would flesh it out a bit and use it quite happily. All depends on what you've covered in the past, what your kids want, etc.

It's written in conversational/narrative style, integrates biblical and historical events, and includes multiple levels of enrichment activities (lower, middle, and upper). There's actually a lot to like about MOH. MOH1 isn't as rigorous as what you'd expect for the target age (junior high), but there's a big step up from MOH1 to MOH2. Personally, I think MOH1 would have been right on for us about 3rd or 4th. We're using it as a supplement now as we read through the Guerber's Story of the Ancient World. MOH1 will clue me in to something interesting Guerber skipped or give me ideas for hands-on. I don't care for the writing style, and it doesn't have enough content at this point to be our spine. But I can see how some people would flesh it out a bit and use it quite happily. All depends on what you've covered in the past, what your kids want, etc.

What level/grades do you consider MOH2? I was very disappointed with the lack of content in 1 (had planned to use it as our spine), and thought it was light even for my younger boys. So how big of a step would you consider MOH2 to be?

I'd have to go back and look at it again (it's downstairs in the closet), but it's a big step, almost into the dry territory. I recall having a singular yuck reaction, but I don't like history. With your ages, you might prefer CLP's Story of the Middle Ages. That's what I plan to read to dd next year along with our continuing enjoyment of the Guerber books. I guess that's nutty to read both ancients and american, but she enjoys it. Next year should be the middle ages plus a country survey, provided we ever finish american.

So I own MOH2, but it hasn't really called to me to use it. I'll probably use it as a supplement, drawing activity ideas and whatnot, next year, but I doubt I'd use it as a spine. And yet the books have attracted me enough to make me keep them all these years, go figure. I think it's one of those things where you have to time them just right. I'm not sure when MOH2 would seem right to me.

I'd have to go back and look at it again (it's downstairs in the closet), but it's a big step, almost into the dry territory. I recall having a singular yuck reaction, but I don't like history. With your ages, you might prefer CLP's Story of the Middle Ages. That's what I plan to read to dd next year along with our continuing enjoyment of the Guerber books. I guess that's nutty to read both ancients and american, but she enjoys it. Next year should be the middle ages plus a country survey, provided we ever finish american.

So I own MOH2, but it hasn't really called to me to use it. I'll probably use it as a supplement, drawing activity ideas and whatnot, next year, but I doubt I'd use it as a spine. And yet the books have attracted me enough to make me keep them all these years, go figure. I think it's one of those things where you have to time them just right. I'm not sure when MOH2 would seem right to me.

Thanks. We're using BiblioPlan this year and loving it, but I'm looking ahead and trying to decide if I want to buy MOH 2. I'm leaning towards no, but I've got an entire year to change my mind :lol:.

I like the story-telling style, but some of the lessons seem to be a bit short. Sometimes we stop and take a few days to add library books to a lesson. I love the activities and time line ideas though. I also love the biblical view. I am using it with my 6th grader and k'ner. We add SOTW cds, a lot of library books, and You Tube videos. We also have Usborne Encyclopedia of World History, but don't use it much. It mostly repeats MOH and SOTW so the boys us it to look at the pictures.

We are only in MOH 1. I wonder about MOH 2. I have heard it is different from the first.

I've never seen this except for the samples and I'm wondering what attracts you to this book over other books that are written in a story-like fashion?

I do also enjoy SOTW, and CHOW. I enjoy MOH the most because it treats the Bible as fact, thus I can just relax and enjoy it more.

Volume 2 is a step up, and doesn't work for most young children. My oldest was one of the exceptions. It was her favorite text in 2nd grade. :)

Heather

I am using MoH2 with a 7th and 9th grader. It provides activities at the three levels of the trivium yet allows for different learning styles. There is the potential for a topic to be encountered a minimum of 12 times if you follow the program as written. This makes the program more than just memorizing a fact for a test then forgetting it. It lends itself toward adding living books but still has the traditional quizzes and tests if you prefer that. Yet it can be complete all on its own without supplementing.

We have used both book 1 and 2 and are currently reading 3. We really love these books. Book 1 was my least favorite as far as writing style (as it was much more informal than the subsequent books) and the lessons were shorter. However, she covers a lot of ground and a great many subjects all with biblical accounts woven into it. This was wonderful! She covered every prophet too. By the end of it my children could tell me what each prophet was known for and why he was important. We really got a good overview of the ancient world. We did use it as a spine and wove into it other books (fiction and non) and fleshed out what she shared. I loved how she ended the book - very Christ-focused.

The second book was more detailed and the lessons were longer. This book was wonderful. We also used it as a spine and did the same thing with other books to bring the people/events to life. http://www.historylivesseries.com/ series was especially good for this as they are biographies of the church and its people turned into story format.

While her quizzes and tests and such are not difficult, they serve to reinforce the information the author is conveying to the students. My children enjoy them because it gives them jumping off dates/events/people that are to be remembered. It makes for funny conversation sometimes too as they quiz each other on the who's who of history. MOH has made history time for us much more real and intimate. These are real people, real events, and worth knowing about. Linda Hobar has a way of writing that ignited the interest for us more than any other curriculum we have used.

The third book is just beautiful. We have only just begun it, but wow, it just gets better and better. The lessons are even longer than the second book and much deeper with a lot more information. The color/hardback format is due to the paintings of the Renaissance and are worth the extra $.

There are so many good products around that go well with MOH, from lapbooks on the Old Testament to timelines to historical fiction and biographies. We are super happy with it! (Can ya tell?) :D

I like that it's a well rounded program, with the inclusion of lit suggestions, memory cards, map work, etc. I love that it's a Biblical worldview. I think you can beef it up by using all that's included, or use it as a supplement or spine without the extras.

MOH3 looks wonderful, btw.

Blessings,

Lisa

I've only used Vol. 1. I didn't like it. My son was in third grade. I didn't like the writing style and thought it was just too simple, even for his age. I appreciated the integration of the Bible as history but it just lacked the living book quality that I was looking for at the time. We will use MOH 3 in the future because Heart of Dakota will be using it in a future guide. I know they'll pull it together in a way that will be great. And, I have heard the writing quality seems to improve after Vol. 1.

I like the story-telling style, but some of the lessons seem to be a bit short. Sometimes we stop and take a few days to add library books to a lesson. I love the activities and time line ideas though. I also love the biblical view.

:iagree:

I am using MOH1 with my 2nd and 4th grader. We are adding notebooking pages for each lesson and as Christielee said, I add other books when we cover a topic in which I want to go deeper. Right now we're taking a week off to go back and study the ice age and next week we'll be reading extra books about Egypt.

My eldest is doing the quizzes as written in the book, but my youngest was quickly burnt out them so I am saving them for a few years from now when he will review ancient history again.

I am not doing the note taking cards that the author suggests and we are skipping most of the projects so far... I like it better my way but I can see where it would be great to have everything laid out by the author as well.

I haven't seen MOH2 yet so can't comment on that.

Hidden Jewel, Are you using MOH as your spine? It seems that many use at as a supplement rather than a spine. Just wondering.. I have given thought of using it as a spine and adding some living books along with it.

Yes, I am using MoH as my main program. I also have weaved in TruthQuest History so I am doing all lessons from both curriculums. We used TQ last year and it went really well. But I wanted the mapwork, timeline, and activities from MoH. So since I wanted to use MoH but didn't want to give up the richness we found in TQ, I decided to do both.

From what I have seen so far, MoH is plenty on its own except for perhaps high school. I am adding in more reading. The upper level activities can either be light research/writing or heavy depending on how much detail you require from your student.

I tried MoH when my girls were in elementary and I didn't like it for that level. I am not very good at hands on stuff. However, I do like it for the logic stage, and so far it looks good for my 9th grader as well.

I think it would work great as a spine and adding living books.

I'm using MOH also for and I like that it is in chronological order and that it incorporates the Bible but I too am feeling that the lessons are too short and thin on content. What books do you all use as supplements?? I'd love some suggestions as it will save me time weeding through the ones in the library. Thanks.

I'm using MOH also for and I like that it is in chronological order and that it incorporates the Bible but I too am feeling that the lessons are too short and thin on content. What books do you all use as supplements?? I'd love some suggestions as it will save me time weeding through the ones in the library. Thanks.

The MOH 1 yahoo group has tons of files where people have added. You might check that out. Even if you go no mail the files are a wealth of info (there are some great color timeline figures for free also).

Heather

Hidden Jewel, Thanks for the information, I've been thinking about changing things up a bit and had thought about using my SIL's MOH as a spine as one of my options. She has lent it to me for the school year. Now I just have to decide if and how I am going to use it.

We use it as a supplement along with AWOA. My girls really like it but even for my dd9 the lessons can be short. Most days we will do a few lessons at a time then find extra resources (ex. books, internet) to beef up what we covered. They are doing the wall timeline and that is their favorite part. The activities included are really good.

The MOH 1 yahoo group has tons of files where people have added. You might check that out. Even if you go no mail the files are a wealth of info (there are some great color timeline figures for free also).

Heather

Heather, thanks for this link. What a wealth of info. I wish I'd known about it before I had done all my planning. It would have saved me oodles of time. BTW, are you the siloam... that posted all those beautiful pics? Thank you for sharing that! It's wonderful!

Jennifer

Heather, thanks for this link. What a wealth of info. I wish I'd known about it before I had done all my planning. It would have saved me oodles of time. BTW, are you the siloam... that posted all those beautiful pics? Thank you for sharing that! It's wonderful!

Jennifer

Jennifer,

I am the Siloam that uploaded them, but I didn't make them. ;) We had problems a while back with spammers putting stuff in the files, so now only a few of us moderators can upload. :)

Heather