Menu

Help me plan for my DD's 16th b-day....

I have a dd turning 16 in Feb. She has two close friends so I am thinking of taking them for a fancy dinner & play/musical at our theatre.

For family, we will probably do what we've always done -- birthday child picks a "fun activity" and a "favorite meal."

This probably isn't much help, is it? :001_huh:

Guest Virginia Dawn

We did a Mexican fiesta for my dd's 16th and invited a lot of family/friends. Tamales, two kinds of enchiladas, rice, beans, salsa and chips, mariachi music playing. And of course a pinata.

my just-turned 16 year old planned her own party, because that's what she wanted to do. she chose "the 80's" as the theme: everyone dressed up, she collected tons of 80's music, we used an old polaroid camera. . . said it was her best birthday ever.

i couldn't have surprised her with a better party than the one she planned herself.

i also like the idea of dinner and a show with a few special friends myself.

good luck! i have FOUR more sixteenth birthdays to help plan in the next few years. . .

DD chose a 'dress as your favorite TV, Movie or Game character' theme. I had a friend make a HUGE black, red, gold and silver balloon arch for our entry way. I made a red-carpet from felt. We had finger foods, a cake with dd's favorite car (a Mini-Cooper), a costume contest, and of course a 'movie night'--Raiders of the Lost Ark (dd jumped off the waterfall in the first scene when we were in Hawaii a few years ago!).

It was a great night!

---

Our oldest DD preferred a quieter evening. DH took her out to an EXPENSIVE restaurant and gave her a special necklace.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this was a while ago, but I'm trying to upload pictures on my blog and it's taking FOREVER so .... I'm catching up on WTM! Anyway, we had SUCH a special evening for our dd's 16th. Now, we've established mile-markers through the year (10th - ears pierced; 13th - weekend away with mom for girls/dad for boys) so, we've been planning this for a long time. We bought her a hope chest and sent out invitations to friends and family asking them to bring something special for her hope chest - not necessarily linens or traditional hope chest things, but things to commemorate this important day and provide her with tangible reminders of her very real "hope and future" which is grounded in Christ. So, the day of her birthday, we took her out to dinner and her grandparents came up (both sides). We made a big enough deal of it so that she thought that this was her birthday celebration. Then we went to this very special barn that friends of ours have made into a place for events. She thought we had to run by to say "Hi" to some folks before returning home for cake/ice cream. When she came in, everyone "SURPRISED!" She was blown away. She had friends there from all the different circles of her life - church, neighborhood, school, homeschool - and family - cousins/aunts/grandparents - who had come up. After food, we gathered around her and dh and I presented her with her "hope chest" and explained the significance of it. Then people brought her gifts to her and offered her words of encouragement and hope. Then we had a time of prayer. Some of the folks who were there don't share our same values, and yet it was done in such a way that they didn't feel uncomfortable. It was just beautiful.

So, when I saw your post, I just had to share. :)