Menu

Sample of CAP's new middle school/high school Latin text are available

Karenciavo

Karen, do you know how this would work if one student were in LfC A and one was in LA? Would there be some inherent benefits? I'm thinking along the line of using the chants for both, or covering the same grammatical concepts at approximately the same time.

I would definitely understand if this weren't the case. But, you know, I'm just hoping. ;)

Karen, do you know how this would work if one student were in LfC A and one was in LA? Would there be some inherent benefits? I'm thinking along the line of using the chants for both, or covering the same grammatical concepts at approximately the same time.

I would definitely understand if this weren't the case. But, you know, I'm just hoping. ;)

No, if you look at the sample you can see that by chapter 3 students in LA have covered Present, Imperfect, and Future tenses and by chapter 7 of LA I believe a student has covered all of LFC-A. The LA student could help the LFC-A student study though.

I'm with Chris - Spanish with Children looks wonderful!!! I wonder if it will have any kind of audio component.

Of course the Latin program looks good too but I was thrilled to see the Spanish. It's really hard to find a good Spanish program that balances speaking, reading and writing without being made for high schoolers.

THANKS!!!

We have been using LitCT, and, while I do like it, I feel like it isn't very well laid out. However, I also think a lot in this new program would be review for us. Too bad two volumes aren't out yet! Are there extra drill sheets to go with this? Sorry to ask so many questions. We did PL, LCI, LCII, and will finish the first volume of LitCT this year. However, we would be spreading volume 2 of LitCT over two years if we carry on with it as my ds will just be in grade 6 next year and this is what the author suggested. I looked on the CAP forums and noted that there would be DVDs, too? I like all the translating practice we get in LitCT, but I can't tell how much of that there is in Latin Alive, which was why I asked if there were extra drill sheets (in addition to what is shown on the samples). I also saw on the CAP forum that completion of the three years of Latin Alive would cover all grammar. I know I would get there with LitCT as well, but this Latin Alive looks more teacher friendly to a non-Latin mom such as myself. It just looks more straight-forward to me. Any wisdom at all?

And also, do you know how many levels there will be for Spanish with Children? I am wondering if we switched to Latin Alive where some would be review if we could then add in Spanish as well. Gee. I thought I had everything figured out for next year!

Thanks again for any insights.

It's called Latin Alive! Chapters 1-3 and chapter 7 are included in their entirety.

Is each book equal to 1 hs credit for Latin? We are going to study Latin in hs and I was planning on following TWTM suggestion of using Latin Road to English Grammar. Would you recommned Latin Alive! over LRtEG?

Also, do you think the books will be published so that we could use the first one this fall and the next book the following year?

Thanks for any advice.

Is each book equal to 1 hs credit for Latin? We are going to study Latin in hs and I was planning on following TWTM suggestion of using Latin Road to English Grammar. Would you recommned Latin Alive! over LRtEG?

Also, do you think the books will be published so that we could use the first one this fall and the next book the following year?

Thanks for any advice.

I've never used LRtEG so I can't compare, sorry. LA will be 1 HS credit. The books are supposed to come out every year with Latin Alive! 1 coming early this summer. I know I will be testing level 2 beginning this Aug. or Sept. and that's all I have officially heard.

Thank you for enduring all my questions, Karen. Since you have been testing out Latin Alive! 1 this year, could you please tell me how you have scheduled it and how much time you take per day? Thanks, again. I promise I will quit bugging you soon! :o

Thank you for enduring all my questions, Karen. Since you have been testing out Latin Alive! 1 this year, could you please tell me how you have scheduled it and how much time you take per day? Thanks, again. I promise I will quit bugging you soon! :o

No problem. :001_smile:

Scheduling of the text has fluctuated since the beginning of the year. Since this is our 5th year of Latin the earlier chapters, basically review for us, went faster. We study vocabulary every day, most weeks have 20 vocabulary words, the first three days my sons study with their iPod flash card program and then day 4 I quiz them, pulling vocabulary from all chapters, but the majority from the current week. Days 1-3 usually have grammar introduced each day and then exercises. Day 4 might have new grammar, but it definitely will have the diagramming, parsing, and translating a half dozen or so Latin sentences. Day 5 includes the chapter reading, about 1/2 page of a story based on a work by various Romans, this week we will read one based on The Aeneid. Each son takes a paragraph or two and reads, sentence by sentence, in Latin then English. Then we have a section called Respondë Latïnë! I ask comprehension questions in Latin and my boys respond in kind. We also read about ancient Roman culture and study derivatives.

I also add in some of my own assignments, it's my understanding that the LA! teacher's text will have extra ideas, but I don't have that as a beta tester. Some days I have my boys write out paradigms, especially if they are having trouble with any. We also play Jeopardy 1x a month or so; we try to do it completely in Latin when possible, translating questions would be an example of when we speak in English. I also have long term memorization projects for them, songs, prayers, creeds, etc.

HTH,

Karen

It does sound like a great program, but we will also be in our 5th year of Latin as well. (PL, LCI, LCII, and LitCT 1). My concern is that we would get through the Latin Alive 1 in less than a full year. With the other books not out yet, we'd be hanging. It looks like a lot of their book would be review for us (from looking at the ToC). Some would be new, but I am not sure if switching at this point is wise. I will keep pondering and praying, but I think we might be better off sticking with LitCT. It's a lot easier for ds than it is for me! LOL! This program looked like it had better explanations. However, I do think I will add in the Spanish for Children. Looks like fun!

Thanks again.

I really appreciate all of Karen Ciavo's posts. I thought, however, that I might offer a few answers she is not able to supply.

Latin Alive! will be published in 3 books which cover ALL Latin grammar (even a tad more than Wheelock). The first book will be available early this summer - in just a few short months. Book 2 will be available in Summer of 2009 (it is now well underway), and we plan to have Book 3 out just a year later in 2010. All three books together will be the equivalent of what a public school would consider 2 years of High School Latin.

There is a TM that will provide answers, tests & keys, teacher tips, some suggestions for additional practice, student projects, and a few drill worksheets that can be used throughout.

Latin Alive! should be available at several home school conventions around the country this summer, and at the Association of Classical Christian Schools summer conference. If you are planning to attend one of these events it would provide a great opportunity to flip through the entire book to see if it would be a good match for your needs.

Blessings,

Karen Moore

Would Latin Alive! be appropriate for my 12 yo 7th grader who has not taken any latin yet? Or is this program more for those students that have had a few years of Latin? (I'm assuming dd is too old for LfC)

Thanks so much!

Latin Alive! assumes no prior knowledge of Latin and it would be a good fit for a 7th grader. Do you plan on learning Latin along side your student?

Karen,

You know, I have no latin background. So, I'm pretty nervous about having to teach it to my kiddos!! So, to answer you question, yes I'd like/need to learn alongside my dd. But, since I'm schooling her other siblings as well, I some days I may not be able to be with dd while she learns her latin... so she may be doing some of it solo. Is this reasonable? Or do I really need to teach her? Just wondering what to expect... thanks so much for your help!

Karen,

You know, I have no latin background. So, I'm pretty nervous about having to teach it to my kiddos!! So, to answer you question, yes I'd like/need to learn alongside my dd. But, since I'm schooling her other siblings as well, I some days I may not be able to be with dd while she learns her latin... so she may be doing some of it solo. Is this reasonable? Or do I really need to teach her? Just wondering what to expect... thanks so much for your help!

Is she very motivated? That would help. I think it helps to have a teacher, but I've read many testimonies on the high school board describing successful self-teaching and Latin.

Yes, dd is very motivated to get her work completed each day, and she understands/absorbs what she takes in. I'm also considering Latin Prep I, I've heard lots of ladies like that as well. I just really need something that does have a lot of hand-holding for me! LOL!

I had another question regarding TOG, but I'll post that under a new thread. Thanks so much for all your informative posts in the past. I always seem to gleen something from them.!

Thanks,

Sangita

homeschooling - dd 12, dd 10, dd 7, ds 4

To answer Question by Profmom

"Karen M., do you know if we'll be able to see Latin Alive at the Arlington, TX book fair in early May?"

I am hopeful that Latin Alive may be out by May and the Arlington fair. If not, I will definitely have a sample copy available (I'll be at the CAP booth there). LA will be available at the ACCS conference in Austin, TX this June. I will also man a CAP booth at the THSC conference in Woodlands (near Houston) in August. I'd be more than happy to field questions at any of these events.

-Karen Moore