Menu

What does your third grader do for reading and free reading?

What kinds of books do you assign for reading aloud with you? Do you read with your child, taking turns every few pages, or require the child to do all of the reading? How many pages do you cover each day? Do you have any sort of formal discussion of the reading, or require your child to do a narration or answer comprehension questions?

How much reading does your child do in other subjects (history, science, etc.)? Do you read most of the other subjects aloud to him/her?

Do you have a free reading time some other time throughout the day? How long is it? Do you allow your child to choose whatever books he/she wants to read during this time, or give a group of books to choose from. What does your child read during this time (e.g. longer picture books, children's novels, non-fiction books to correlate with science/history, etc.)?

Thanks for any answers. I'm really just curious about what other people do.

I have ds read aloud to me for about 20 minutes daily. I got a bunch of old Bullseye Step Into Classics off of eBay and we are working our way through those. For ds they are high interest so it keeps him motivated.

I don't assign free reading simply because he chooses to spend a lot of his free time reading. He reads mostly non-fiction history books and Peanuts :lol:.

I still read aloud to him when we are doing our lessons. It's just the two of us so I can be right there with him at all times. I also do fiction read alouds during the day and at bedtime and we do a lot of audiobooks, too.

I ask my 3rd grader to read to me for about 10 minutes once a week from a selection that I choose just to monitor him.

Otherwise I don't monitor his reading at all. He is definitely a bibliophile and reads everything he can get his hands on especially non fiction.

For lessons, I preread the history selections and then I ask him to narrate and then we discuss.

What kinds of books do you assign for reading aloud with you?

The books on the list for TSotW are our regular read alouds. We ended up too far ahead on the list too quick this year, so we're going to start the Chronicles of Narnia (read with the Roar guide). We read aloud a chapter a day, or in the case of smaller books we'll read for a half-hour. I don't know how many pages, because it depends too much on the particular book.

Do you read with your child, taking turns every few pages, or require the child to do all of the reading?

Ds has a book he's reading, I read our read alouds, and ds also reads to his little brother in the evening. That way I know he's still reading aloud fluently :)

Do you have any sort of formal discussion of the reading, or require your child to do a narration or answer comprehension questions?

At the very least I require an oral narration. Most of the time he'll do a page for his reading notebook (picture and narration). With Roar, we'll have some formal discussions, but for the most part, we just talk :p

How much reading does your child do in other subjects (history, science, etc.)? Do you read most of the other subjects aloud to him/her?

We take turns. I'll read some, he reads some, usually we'll read a page and switch.

Do you have a free reading time some other time throughout the day? How long is it?

He gets in bed at about 9 and can read until 10:30, but must read for at least 30 minutes. That's our 'enforced' free reading time ;)

He'll pick up a book at various times during the day, assuming the weather's bad and for those times I have no real rules. I censor what he reads, but he doesn't really realize that just yet.

Do you allow your child to choose whatever books he/she wants to read during this time, or give a group of books to choose from. What does your child read during this time (e.g. longer picture books, children's novels, non-fiction books to correlate with science/history, etc.)?

We go to the library once, twice, and sometimes three times in a week. I use the library list from TWTM to pick out books, so there's always a variety. We also have a ton of books we own to choose from. There are certain things that are not welcome in my home, he does not read those and (as of yet) has not shown any interest in them. Most are longer picture books, he does prefer biographical stories, and there are a few books that are at his reading level, but it's hard to find things that are difficult enough in vocabulary that wouldn't also introduce him to certain ideas that I'm not sure he's ready for.

What kinds of books do you assign for reading aloud with you? DD was in 3rd last year. I chose a lot of literature selections from SOTW for her to read during "school reading", plus some good literature. I didn't have her do any reading aloud. Do you read with your child, taking turns every few pages, or require the child to do all of the reading? She did all the reading herself. How many pages do you cover each day? I would divide a book up by 5 days and she would read that number of pages each day so that she finished a book a week. Do you have any sort of formal discussion of the reading, or require your child to do a narration or answer comprehension questions?We did not do any of this as she does this for history and writing.

How much reading does your child do in other subjects (history, science, etc.)? Do you read most of the other subjects aloud to him/her? Most other subjects I read aloud to her.

Do you have a free reading time some other time throughout the day? She is a voracious reader so she would read little spurts throughout the day as well as in bed at night for approximately 30-60 minutes. How long is it? Do you allow your child to choose whatever books he/she wants to read during this time, or give a group of books to choose from. For the most part I choose her books but once in a while she will pick one out. She's pretty good about not picking up any twaddly stuff. What does your child read during this time (e.g. longer picture books, children's novels, non-fiction books to correlate with science/history, etc.)? Mostly fiction, but some nonfiction, some longer picture books. She will pick up books from our school room from time to time to read as well.

HTH!

I have my 3rd grader read sotw to me. If she gets tired- I'll read for some as well. We're on vol 3 of sotw & are enjoying it. Sometimes *we* massacare the pronunciations...but we get the gist of it!

We go to the library once a week on gym day & she chooses books for free reading which she reads on her own time. She enjoys her books.

My second and fourth graders are both using the SL 3 readers. If I had a third grader, they'd be using them too. Last year, I had my 4th grader do repeated readings for fluency (doing it this year too) and I also try to squeeze in having him read aloud to me whenever I can.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

What kinds of books do you assign for reading aloud with you? Do you read with your child, taking turns every few pages, or require the child to do all of the reading? How many pages do you cover each day? Do you have any sort of formal discussion of the reading, or require your child to do a narration or answer comprehension questions?

Do you have a free reading time some other time throughout the day? How long is it? Do you allow your child to choose whatever books he/she wants to read during this time, or give a group of books to choose from. What does your child read during this time (e.g. longer picture books, children's novels, non-fiction books to correlate with science/history, etc.)?

My ds is a voracious reader.

As far as reading aloud, usually I do the read-alouds. I do have him read aloud sometimes, often when working together on something where we're reading instructions (science experiment, cooking, etc...). He also loves to read-aloud/share short, funny passages in books he's reading. So, I don't 'formally' work him on reading-aloud, rather just incorporate it as it fits or he does it on his own. (He has been a very strong reader since 1st grade & we did a lot of him reading aloud at that time. I don't require as much now because I know his reading level pretty well.)

We do some reading in subjects such as science, history. Depending on the book or topic, he'll read it on his own or I'll do it (whole or parts) as a read-aloud. We do discuss these books for the most part.

We have various free reading times. Both of my dc have always enjoyed reading in bed in the morning before getting up for the day. Usually, I let ds pick what he wants to read, but other times I'll give him a selection of books (book basket) & have him select something from there. There are various down times during the day where both my kids will go disappear w/ a book. Today, we had dentist appts. & ds flew through a few small chapter books while we were waiting on dd.

Mainly, ds chooses to read fiction chapter books (Harry Potter series, Warriors series, Magyk series, etc...), gaming guides (Pokemon books, specific computer/console game guides, ...), and the Get Fuzzy comic books (lol -- he ended up w/ my sense of humor). I round out his reading w/ books from the SL lists, neat picture books (esp. fairy tales/fables), science/history/geography/art/music books, fun chapter books I hear about from others (just picked up a bunch of Humphrey books from the library), and so on....

Generally, we do discuss books he's reading. It's often an informal discussion -- sometimes he initiates the conversation, sometimes I do. Another example: he loves the HP books (and has gotten my dad hooked on them too, lol). Even though he has read them numerous times on his own, he still enjoys hearing them read-aloud (which is something Grandpa is currently doing w/ him). And, they end up discussing them a lot.... Ds & his sister will also discuss books in great detail (she's older & has pretty much read most of the things he has & they like discussing the characters & plot).

Edited by Stacia

We are pretty unstructured around here. My son reads voraciously. For the most part, I just keep him stocked. :) (He does some picking and choosing from the stacks available to him, but I create the stacks.)

I read SOTW aloud to him and some of our supplemental reading, but I do give him specific books to read on his own during the school day for history, literature, science, art, music, geography, etc. I need to work on adding in more narration/discussion, but he's young (7), so I don't worry too much about it.

I need to work in more reading aloud.

He reads a lot at bedtime and rarely goes somewhere without a book, so I don't have to set specific times for free-reading. Unless I need to redirect his energy or noise...then I just dangle a book in front of him and send him to the couch. :)