Menu

My littliest student has swine flu. Her sister, my dd, and my DH are.........

immuno-compromised.

She's 5. {{{{sick little girl}}}}

My kids were with her Friday and Saturday when she became symtomatic. I have a call into my dd's rheumatologist. I'm not a fussy, high strung person on issues of communicable disease. But we do have some risk issues in our particular situation.

Up until now, I have not researched tami-flu, swine flu or incubation or anything.

Joanne - sorry you have to deal with this.

Tamiflu (Oseltamivir) is available for children who have been exposed

Relenza (Zanamivir) is not licensed for children/anyone with underlying respiratory or heart diseases (including asthma).

The scuttlebutt around the hospital is that it may be hit or miss...not always efffective (of course that's how the antivirals have always been for regular flu) but when they work, it is great. Many docs will dose the entire family post exposure, depending on doc/family medical history

both have to be administered within (I think) 10 days of exposure

here's a link to the CDC's info about antivirals for H1N1 http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/antiviral.htm'>http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/antiviral.htm'>http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/antiviral.htm'>http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/antiviral.htm

And here's a link to everything you never wanted to know about H1N1, courtesy of the Centers for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

one side effects if you need to use one of the antivirals--in your situation it sounds like the benefit outweighs the risks, but it would be good to know what to look for. Some children have had unusual side effects from Tamiflu.

will say a prayer for your family!

From the CDC regarding side effects:

What are the side effects of antiviral drugs in children?

Reported side effects of oseltamivir are nausea and vomiting. Among children treated with oseltamivir in clinical studies, 14% had vomiting, compared with 8.5% of children getting a “placebo.†(A placebo is an inactive substance that looks the same as, and is given in the same way as, a drug in a clinical trial.) Nausea and vomiting might be less severe if oseltamivir is taken with food. In addition, there have been reports of self-injury or delirium among persons with influenza who take oseltamivir. Most of these reports have been in teenagers from Japan, and it is still not certain whether oseltamivir or the influenza virus was responsible for these behavior changes. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration advises that people taking either of the two medications recommended for influenza (oseltamivir and zanamivir) be monitored closely for abnormal behavior.

Side effects from zanamivir have been reported in fewer than 5% of people participating in clinical trials and have been reported at the same rate in people receiving zanamivir as those being given a “placebo.†Reported side effects have included diarrhea, nausea, sinusitis, nasal signs and symptoms, bronchitis, cough, headache, dizziness, and ear, nose, and throat infections. Also, zanamivir should not be used in people with underlying respiratory disease, including asthma

from http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/antiviral.htm

immuno-compromised.

She's 5. {{{{sick little girl}}}}

My kids were with her Friday and Saturday when she became symtomatic. I have a call into my dd's rheumatologist. I'm not a fussy, high strung person on issues of communicable disease. But we do have some risk issues in our particular situation.

Up until now, I have not researched tami-flu, swine flu or incubation or anything.

Hoping your dd's rheumatologist gives you answers. Does your dd typically fight infections well or does she have difficulty? Ds7's (he's my guy with JRA) hematologist & his pediatrician weren't any more concerned about swine flu than regular flu, but I'd be a nervous wreck if I knew he was exposed (even though there's a chance he already had it at the end of April).

I hope that all y'all remain symptom free!

My dd's friend came down with the H1N1 yesterday. My dd was with her on Friday and Sat. so we are waiting to see if we get it too.

Here is some of the info. from her friend's email:

"Per the doctor, anyone that has come into contact with her in the last 72 hours may have been exposed.

Per our pediatrician, the signs are headache, fever and cough."

Also here is some info. from our co-op:

Know the Difference Between Cold and Swine Flu Symptoms

Fever

Fever is rare with a cold.

Fever is usually present with the flu in up to 80% of all flu cases. A temperature of 100°F or higher for 3 to 4 days is associated with the flu.

Coughing

A hacking, productive (mucus- producing) cough is often present with a cold.

A nonproductive (non-mucus producing) cough is usually present with the flu (sometimes referred to as dry cough).

Aches

Slight body aches and pains can be part of a cold.

Severe aches and pains are common with the flu.

Stuffy Nose

Stuffy nose is commonly present with a cold and typically resolves spontaneously within a week.

Stuffy nose is not commonly present with the flu.

Chills

Chills are uncommon with a cold.

60% of people who have the flu experience chills.

Tiredness

Tiredness is fairly mild with a cold.

Tiredness is moderate to severe with the flu.

Sneezing

Sneezing is commonly present with a cold.

Sneezing is not common with the flu.

Sudden Symptoms

Cold symptoms tend to develop over a few days.

The flu has a rapid onset within 3-6 hours. The flu hits hard and includes sudden symptoms like high fever, aches and pains.

Headache

A headache is fairly uncommon with a cold.

A headache is very common with the flu, present in 80% of flu cases.

Sore Throat

Sore throat is commonly present with a cold.

Sore throat is not commonly present with the flu..

Chest Discomfort

Chest discomfort is mild to moderate with a cold.

Chest discomfort is often severe with the flu.