Menu

Help I need a good fajita seasoning recipe

hsmom

I don't really use a recipe but I use: crushed garlic, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke (this is really key), lime juice, a touch of honey, olive oil, cumin, a little cayenne. if I have some chipotles leftover from some enchiladas I sometimes will chop one or two up really small and add those as well.

Here's mine...

I marinate my chicken or steak for 1-4 hours in the following:

2T oil

2T lemon or lime juice

1.5t seasoned salt

1.5t oregano

1.5t cumin

1t garlic powder

.5t chili powder

.5t paprika

.5t crushed red pepper

Then I saute all my peppers and onions in a little oil for a few minutes before I throw the meat and all the marinade in the pan.

Ok Texas Ladies, I want to know how come this young lady is needing help with her fajitas 3 hours ago and not one Texan has chimed in with a recipe?:D

I just got a great cookbook that has the fajita recipe for Ninfa's. Now for y'all not familiar with Mama Ninfa, she opened a small restaurant in a Houston eastside Barrio back in 1973. She had some of the best texmex around. Sadly, I don't think there are any of her restaurants open anymore.

But here is how Mama Ninfa made Fajitas:

2 skirt steaks, 1 to 1/2 pounds each

Marinade:

1 large orange

2 lemons

1/4 cup pineapple juice

1/4 cup white wine

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup water

3 dried chiles de Arbol

1 T coarse black pepper

1 garlic clove minced

For the marinade, grate 1 T of peel from the orange and 2 t peel from the lemons. Squeeze the orange and get approximately 1/4 cup juice, and squeeze both lemons to get a simular amount of juice. Put the citrus zest and fresh squeezed juice into a small bowl. Add the pineapple juice, wine, soy sauce and garlic, stirring to combine the ingredients. Pour the marinade over the skirt steaks. Let the meat marinade for atleast one hour but not longer than 2 hours.

Drain the skirt steaks. Cook them about 3 inches above the coals or 4 inches below the broiler flame for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until they are done to your taste. Remove the meat from the heat and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice the meat across the grain and diagonally into finger-length strips.

Serve with flour tortillas, Pico de Gallo, guacamole and grilled peppers and onions. And whatever else you like.

This recipe is in the cookbook: Texas Home Cooking by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison.

I don't really use a recipe but I use: crushed garlic, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke (this is really key), lime juice, a touch of honey, olive oil, cumin, a little cayenne. if I have some chipotles leftover from some enchiladas I sometimes will chop one or two up really small and add those as well.

I'd eat at your house :D

Bill

Oh, I tried this. Well I added some lemon and some chili powder. It turned out awesome. Thank you so much!

Ok Texas Ladies, I want to know how come this young lady is needing help with her fajitas 3 hours ago and not one Texan has chimed in with a recipe?:D

I just got a great cookbook that has the fajita recipe for Ninfa's. Now for y'all not familiar with Mama Ninfa, she opened a small restaurant in a Houston eastside Barrio back in 1973. She had some of the best texmex around. Sadly, I don't think there are any of her restaurants open anymore.

But here is how Mama Ninfa made Fajitas:

2 skirt steaks, 1 to 1/2 pounds each

Marinade:

1 large orange

2 lemons

1/4 cup pineapple juice

1/4 cup white wine

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup water

3 dried chiles de Arbol

1 T coarse black pepper

1 garlic clove minced

For the marinade, grate 1 T of peel from the orange and 2 t peel from the lemons. Squeeze the orange and get approximately 1/4 cup juice, and squeeze both lemons to get a simular amount of juice. Put the citrus zest and fresh squeezed juice into a small bowl. Add the pineapple juice, wine, soy sauce and garlic, stirring to combine the ingredients. Pour the marinade over the skirt steaks. Let the meat marinade for atleast one hour but not longer than 2 hours.

Drain the skirt steaks. Cook them about 3 inches above the coals or 4 inches below the broiler flame for about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until they are done to your taste. Remove the meat from the heat and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Slice the meat across the grain and diagonally into finger-length strips.

Serve with flour tortillas, Pico de Gallo, guacamole and grilled peppers and onions. And whatever else you like.

This recipe is in the cookbook: Texas Home Cooking by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison.

I just copy and pasted this. I will have to try it next time. Thank you

Anytime, my friend! :)

I'm glad it turned out well!!

shalom-Hey, I'm from Oklahoma, I can cook fajitas! :lol:

Ok, confession time, I too am an Okie;)....but I have lived in Texas longer than I lived in Oklahoma. I married into the state. And I have had a lot of practice cooking Tex-Mex.:D

Ok, confession time, I too am an Okie;)....but I have lived in Texas longer than I lived in Oklahoma. I married into the state. And I have had a lot of practice cooking Tex-Mex.:D

See I left the area soon after our marriage. I've had a lot of practice because I had to learn to cook it! California-Mex, Germany-Mex, east coast-Mex, Hawaii-Mex, they are not the same as Tex Mex.:lol: