Menu

Am I confusing grammar with phonics?

mlbuchina

We are almost finished with OPGTR, and am lost as to where to go next with phonics. I noticed that there is only one lesson addressing homonyms, homophones and homographs, and wondered if this was something that would be covered more in a grammar program. What have you done for phonics after OPGTR (or other initial reading program)? We will be doing FLL 1 starting next month, but wasn't sure how to keep up with the phonics other that read read read!

Thanks!

Webster's Speller or a phonetic, rule based spelling program.

You can also do a quick review of phonics each year by going through something like Blend Phonics, it's laid out well for a quick review, you can just do a few words from each section for areas that are learned well, and do a few more words from units that need more work.

I also think that syllable division is helpful, I think AAS does that, I know that megawords and Webster's Speller do that, I also have syllable division rules and worksheets on my how to tutor page, this paragraph:

Your number one task is to get them to stop guessing and start sounding out each and every word from left to right. Nonsense words are key, they help prevent guessing. Here is a free website that generates nonsense words. Syllables are also helpful, I would use the Blend Phonics Reader (it helps show how guessing is a bad strategy by showing words with similar configuration together) followed by Webster’s Speller. Here is a step by step guide to using Blend Phonics that also adds in syllables, spelling and phonics rules, syllable division rules, and syllable division exercises. There are also readings from Hebrews 12 that can be added to show progress through the program.

I find that type of information (homonyms, etc) in my spelling program, Spelling Workout. It's also in Rod and Staff Grammar.

I did the syllabication work with dd thru Adventures in Phonics C--I thought it was kind of funny to find it in a phonics program, but it was less "learn to read" than "learn about words and how they work."

I think there's some overlap, which is probably how they finally settled on the generic name, Language Arts.

If you choose a phonics-based spelling program and continue to have your children read aloud (probably daily for the first year, then less often (weekly?) as you become comfortable with your child's reading ability that will probably cover your concerns about phonics.

I've taught three kids so far with 100 EZ lessons and although I've always kept the option of continuing with some sort of phonics afterward, I've never needed to. We use Spelling Work Out, FLL, and Rod and Staff grammar.