Menu

Should I start with IEW B for 6th?

Rachel in KY

We started with SWI B this year, after giving Homer A a serious shot (and I'm of the same opinion as you, it seems).

We love it. I'm very happy with where we started. He works with key word outlines and writing from those. He's mildly entertaining, the subject matter is interesting, and he eases into adding -ly words and descriptive word choice. We are just starting on the 3rd lesson. Love it - and better yet, the kids love it. He keeps adding more to each lesson, so progress continues quickly and easily.

Yes, I think it will work for you. But have you consider their history based writing program? We did SWI A for 3rd and 4th grade, and just started using their history based program for 5th this year. I really really like it. It is very easy to use, takes very little prep time, and goes through every unit SWI has. You don't need to have prior experience with IEW to use it.

I think you will do well with either SWI B or history based program, but I think I prefer their history based program. Just something to think about.

Yes, I think it will work for you. But have you consider their history based writing program? We did SWI A for 3rd and 4th grade, and just started using their history based program for 5th this year. I really really like it. It is very easy to use, takes very little prep time, and goes through every unit SWI has. You don't need to have prior experience with IEW to use it.

I thought the history based looked very interesting and I do want to use it. We're doing medieval history right now, and I didn't know if the IEW history is a year long thing. So do I get the TWSS and the medieval history writing course? I don't need the IEW SWI B?

We started with SWI B this year, after giving Homer A a serious shot (and I'm of the same opinion as you, it seems).

It's nice to know I'm not the only one worn out by CW. I really wanted to use it because I think it's a great program, but it's just too much for us. It wears me out, and I have no enthusiasm for it. As a result, he dreads it, too.

I thought the history based looked very interesting and I do want to use it. We're doing medieval history right now, and I didn't know if the IEW history is a year long thing. So do I get the TWSS and the medieval history writing course? I don't need the IEW SWI B?

I really think you are better off starting with a SWI than a history-based writing for several reasons. One is that the history-based writings are more "based on IEW" and less pure. Another is that the direct instruction form Andrew to the student (as you watch) will help both of you understand the program more fully. I have used two SWI and two history-based writings in classes I have taught, and I always recommend that everyone start with DVDs.

Try it for a year, and if you like it, then get the TWSS and one of the history-based writings.

If you do their history-based program, you won't need TWSS or SWI, and it will last for the whole year. We are doing US history-based program now, it has 30+ lessons and is designed for you to do one lesson a week. At the end of the year, your student's final draft from weekly assignments can be bound into a book.

If you do choose to go with their history-based program, don't forget to download their complimentary student resource notebook ebook, it's been a valuable resource to ds.

We are using SWI-B this year with our 6th grader. I really like having the DVDs and my son loves enjoy Andrew Pudewa (and that is saying a lot because he isn't enthusiastic about many things academic). I personally would not want to be without them but I am very daunted when it comes to teaching writing. You may be different.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Angela, thank you for the help. Would you recommend NOT using the history-based in conjunction with the SWI? I supposed it would be better to focus on the basics and keep it simple.

:)

I wouldn't try to combine right away. If you just work through the SWI, you will get a great picture of the program in its purest form. Once you are done with that, you will be able to tell more accurately what your needs are. :001_smile:

Then come back here, tell us how it went, and we can pick what you do next. ;)

If you do their history-based program, you won't need TWSS or SWI, and it will last for the whole year. We are doing US history-based program now, it has 30+ lessons and is designed for you to do one lesson a week. At the end of the year, your student's final draft from weekly assignments can be bound into a book.

I think you *can* do a history based writing program without TWSS, but I wouldn't recommend it. We started HBWL before I got the TWSS, and I liked it so much I ordered the whole combo kit. I'm SO glad I did! The lessons make so much more sense with the TWSS, and my daughter can view the lessons on the dvd before doing the writing portion. It adds a lot of value, I think.

I am still unsure...I read/reread the posts, and I still can't decide.

I have TWSS and student workshops. The kids love Andrew. But, I want meaningful writing for the kids. So, the HBW is relevant. But, I don't want to miss anything from SWI B. I am also thinking about progressing the kids to the elegant essay (in time). Should I buy both??$$?? WOuld this be overkill?

Any suggestions would be great!:)

I am still unsure...I read/reread the posts, and I still can't decide.

I have TWSS and student workshops. The kids love Andrew. But, I want meaningful writing for the kids. So, the HBW is relevant. But, I don't want to miss anything from SWI B. I am also thinking about progressing the kids to the elegant essay (in time). Should I buy both??$$?? WOuld this be overkill?

Any suggestions would be great!:)

I think you can skip the SWI and do the HBW instead, without missing anything, as long as you are watching the TWSS and teaching them.

You could also do the student workshop as an intensive 1-week "camp," as long as you have them, and then do the HBW. I have taught much of SWI-B in a two-day camp. As long as it is followed up with more practice, it is a fun jump start to IEW.

You could also use the SWI, but then instead of using the extra models they provide, swap them out for things that are related to your history or other studies.