Menu

Seen this about the Skittles scandal?

He's an honors student, class vice-president, Good Kid with a bright future... But we're going to run him through the mud over a stinkin' bag of candy???

They don't give a rat's behind about these kids health anyways. It's all about letting them know who is in control.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. :banghead:

So I know it sounds completely random and isolated... but......

In my high school (way back in the 80s... eek!) there was an Issue with exactly this sort of thing, only on a much larger scale. You see, we were the geek school. The rest of the city had a problem with drug dealers. We had a chocolate dealer. One kid had a wholesaler from whom he bought Hershey bars by the case. He turned around and sold the cases to his distributors (classmates) at a small profit, and they each kept a case or two in their locker and sold individual candy bars, each at a small profit. It was a very neatly setup organization, and our principal (she really was Dolores Umbridge... and oddly enough this is the second time this week I've had to say that!) was absolutely out to get them. If she had ever managed to catch any one of them she would not have hesitated to suspend him. Never managed it though... She couldn't catch anyone in the act, and even the teachers wouldn't rat them out. :D

Certainly not a health issue there either -- you could buy HoHos in the cafeteria for lunch. I lived for weeks on chocolate milk and those "fruit pies" that Hostess makes.... You know... sticky gooey neon colored pie filling in a crust, glazed like a giant donut. It was definitely JUST a control issue.

Amen!

I will agree with your :banghead: and add :cursing: plus 2 :ack2::ack2: and add on an :eek: for good measure.

Maybe they need to start teaching common sense at those workshops they attend while all of the kids get to stay home. I swear I would ask every child to bring a bag of skittles and drop them off at the school door.

Hehehe, I love this comment from the principal (from the link Maria gave on her blog):

Those actions came after the Superintendent and Principal Eleanor Turner met with Sheridan's family. "In looking back over this incident, I warned the students repeatedly, but I should have reinforced in writing to parents that the district does not allow buying and selling candy at school," Eleanor Turner, Principal of Sheridan, said. "My intention throughout was - and still is - to maintain a safe and orderly building. I am sorry that this has happened. My hope is that we can get back to the normal school routine, especially since we are in the middle of taking the Connecticut mastery test."

Let me preface this with, I AGREE, THIS CASE IS INSANE. Nailing a great kid over a bag of Skittles under the guise of "wellness" is completely twisted.:iagree:

But let me throw in a little monkey wrench. At the hs where DH teaches, lots of candy sales go on to raise money for various clubs. The newest twist that I learned of recently is that some kids put pot in the boxes and sell drugs under the guise of selling fund-raising candy. They can walk it around school and sell it right under the noses of the faculty!

So I have to wonder if we're soon going to be kissing good-bye yet another facet of our own childhoods that was harmless then, but seen as the big-bad-threat now. :blink: