Menu

Daily math drill?

Joy at Home

My favorite is just to have me write out some problems on a white board that they work out before starting the real math for the day. Youngest gets addition (sums up to 10) and 9 yo gets multiplication right now. A white board and nice selection of pens makes it more tolerable.

We'll use flashcards at times too. I've used a worksheet generator that was once free but isn't anymore. We have the calculadders for addition and I'll use those too.

I've been considering the purchase of a flashmaster. I'm curious. Do you guys just need some more variety? Do you think flashmaster is worth the price?

Here's a nice website that I found: http://www.arcademicskillbuilders.com/

You can even load this onto a wii, so the kids can play with the remotes. My boys like it. Best of all, it's free!

Our PSes do The Mad Minute, and I got my teacher MIL to run some copies for me :) There is a plethora of "mad minute" online worksheets, but I like that the official ones are half a page, sequential, and ad-free. My son is definitely a gold-star kid and I think he'll love pasting a sticker up when he beats a level.

I've been considering the purchase of a flashmaster. I'm curious. Do you guys just need some more variety? Do you think flashmaster is worth the price?

Hi Angela,

I've had my Flashmaster for years, and definitely think it's worth the price.

Right now, I'm looking for some written drill to mix things up, and that include two digit problems. DD was doing Saxon 8/7 this year, and it hasn't been a great fit and we're switching to TT. But the one thing I really appreciated about Saxon was the daily drill sheets that reviewed different concepts. I was thinking about something along those lines.

Blessings,

Lisa

What have you used for daily drill work that you can recommend? We use flashmaster, and have used Calculadders in the past. Any recommendations on other forms of math drill, preferably free online?

thanks!!

lisa

Lisa,

We has both the resources you mentioned and neither of them worked here either. The only thing that has worked, and it is painless and fun is the Right Start Math games. It isn't free though.

Heather

I bought our FlashMaster "with a cocked eye", so as to speak, because I already had seen the LeapFrog math drill toy gather dust. I quickly was pleased that we purchased FlashMaster. Over a year later, when dd was diagnosed with severe math disabilities, and the educational psychologist urged us to obtain a FlashMaster, I was glad I could report that we already had one.

You can even load this onto a wii, so the kids can play with the remotes. My boys like it. Best of all, it's free!

I don't. It didn't fool any of my kids. They knew it was just the flash cards in an electronic format and they hated it only a little less than flash cards.

Heather

I don't. It didn't fool any of my kids. They knew it was just the flash cards in an electronic format and they hated it only a little less than flash cards.

:iagree: My kids don't use it, either. My boys prefer doing their daily math drill with flash cards because they can get through them faster and because they can see the stack getting smaller.