Menu

New to here and some questions already!

Earth Yarn

Hi my name is jen and I have been planning to homeschool my two boys age 2.5 and 5 months so I've been researching and whatnot to get prepared. My hubby asked me a few weeks back if I would also homeschool my DSDs and well here I am speeding up the research to get everything together for when we pull them out of school in a week :D I am pretty new to this and most of the research I had done before was for littles not big kids LOL

My main questions though are for my 11 yr old 6th grader. We have picked:

Singapore math 6A

Wordly Wise 3000

Story of the World with supplements to get up to 6th grade level

usborne science books

minimus latin (will teach both of the girls together)

flute

yoga

My questions are what do I do for writing? I was looking as writing strands but I am unsure what level she would go into. From my knowledge she has no experience with dictation or narration and from last year when I helped her with some of her papers from school she has a tough time coming up with her own ideas and getting them on paper.

Second question what can i do for science? we have the spines and some janice vancleave experiments books but I being a noob would really like a lot of the work done for me especially since I will also be teaching my 2nd grader and my pre k. For my 2nd grader we are using elemental science but it doesn't go into the logic stage and i am not really digging the noeo :P (i should mention we are non-religious so no creationism)

ok next question with my 6th grader if we use writing strands and wordly wise will we need a 3rd text to pick up anything that those two will leave out like grammar?

my second grader's plan looks like this so far do you more experienced moms think this is ok?

SOTW

wordly wise 3000 2

Singapore Math 2A

Elemental Science

WWE book 1

FLL to pick up what WW might be missing

minimus

angel bear yoga

violin

thank you so much if you already made it through my book of a post!! :D

and TIA for the help!!

You might look at Oak Meadow for your 6th grader's science. I've heard really good things about their middle/logic stage program. It is secular.

If she knows nothing about grammar, you might want to do something grammar focused like FLL4 or Grammar with a Giggle. For writing, you could take the WWE text to see where she would place and get the appropriate workbook, and/or look into The Writer's Jungle, which covers more creative writing.

The 2nd grader's plan looks fine, though I probably wouldn't worry about doing the vocab. That's just me.

Are you finishing out phonics? A second grader in PS will not be finished learning all the phonics rules/phonograms. Do you have spelling covered in their somewhere for both kids? (I am not familiar with Wordly Wise, I think it is vocabulary?)

Do you have Grammar for your 6th grader? I would recommend Analytical Grammar. For writing, you could look at the samples of WWE 2 & 3 and see if you could place her in one of those for a year, to get her caught up, then you could jump off to Writing Tales or another program, or you could go with IEW. themedwriting would be a good place to start. It has directions for grades 3-8 so you'd be covered. Whatever writing you go with, it would be a good idea to ask the publisher where to start.

Here is a very helpful article: starting classical education with an older child

It sounds like you are off to a great start. Take some time as they come home to ease in to your subjects. Enjoy the journey!

You might look at Oak Meadow for your 6th grader's science. I've heard really good things about their middle/logic stage program. It is secular.

If she knows nothing about grammar, you might want to do something grammar focused like FLL4 or Grammar with a Giggle. For writing, you could take the WWE text to see where she would place and get the appropriate workbook, and/or look into The Writer's Jungle, which covers more creative writing.

:iagree:These are good suggestions. WWE is a terrific resource and will get you the narration practice. If you decide to go with Writing Strands I would start with 3 if she is not a strong writer. It is very gentle and not too time consuming, both benefits for a new homeschool student.

For your second grader the only thing I might add is spelling. You could use your Wordly Wise words as spelling words, but for my 2nd grader we needed a spelling book that helps him learn the rules of spelling. You may not. Add some literature and it looks like you have a terrific plan.

For 6th grade science, you might consider Science Logic or Mr Q. Here are those links: http://www.eequalsmcq.com/ (biological science is free if that is the elemental you're doing with the 2nd grader) and http://science-logic.blogspot.com/ (again, you can match with the elemental science)

If you do Writing Strands with a 6th grader, you'll probably want to start in the 4th book, 3rd if writing is very weak (it'll go quickly). You might consider Classical Writing if she's a pretty good student. Another option would be to just get the BOOK for WWE and work through, quickly, the first couple levels, but to make sure she has the basics down. Wordsmith Apprentice may be another consideration if you think WWE isn't enough but Classical Writing is too much.

You might consider Rod and Staff 4 or 5 for grammar for the 6th grader. Another option would be Thinking Through Grammar. R&S is much more rigorous. TTG is much gentler and takes only 5-10 minutes every other day.

Is your 2nd grader completely done with phonics? You might look at the last several lessons of Ordinary Parent's Guide and make sure.

It sounds like you are off to a great start. Take some time as they come home to ease in to your subjects. Enjoy the journey!

:iagree: Pulling the older ones out: it is OKAY and usually beneficial to just chill, de-school, and work on character issues for a while... sometimes for a year before plunging into work. It is not time wasted. You have made some great choices! Kudos to you!

6th

Singapore math 6A

Wordly Wise 3000

Story of the World with supplements to get up to 6th grade level

usborne science books

minimus latin (will teach both of the girls together)

flute

yoga

I would add in handwriting

Also I'd do grammar: Growing with Grammar, Easy Grammar and Hake Grammar are the ones that look interesting to me. I've used Easy grammar and I like it.

I would add in literature: Maybe Mosdos press, I like the looks of Ligtening literature, but it starts in grade 7. You might could use it in 6th depending on her reading level. Also I like Inside Stories (find at RR) and the Logos press upper grammar guides.

Writing Strand: I read to start in book 3 if you are just starting the program with a middle schooler.

Also unless your daughters are advanced in math I would be concerned about going directly into their grade level in Singapore. I would have them take the placement tests on the Singapore website if you haven't already.

For Science have you looked at http://www.awakeningwonder.com/

or

http://www.beginningspublishing.com/

2nd

SOTW

wordly wise 3000 2

Singapore Math 2A

Elemental Science

WWE book 1

FLL to pick up what WW might be missing

minimus

angel bear yoga

violin

I would add in Handwriting and maybe Phonics Pathways to finish up phonics. I would add in some literature. I've used Logos Press Beginning Lit guide 2. You can get it from Rainbow resources. It is put out by a religious company, but there was only one question that was religious in nature and it is easy to skip.

Anyway Have fun homeschooling! I was homeschooled and really enjoyed it.

I would add in handwriting

For Science have you looked at http://www.awakeningwonder.com/

or

http://www.beginningspublishing.com/

beginnings publishing... if that is rainbow science, they teach creation, with arguments against evolution. You might consider keyboarding instead of handwriting.

I would add in Handwriting and maybe Phonics Pathways to finish up phonics.
:iagree: Glad Lady A came along, we forgot handwriting!

beginnings publishing... if that is rainbow science, they teach creation, with arguments against evolution. !

Sorry I was confused, I thought it was one of those that left the whole creation vs evolution debate out. So ignore that one. I went and double checked Awakening in wonder and it is secular. So you shouldn't have any problems with that one:)

Earthyarn, forgive me if you've already thought through this, but have you considered deschooling for a while and also the feel each student wants to their day? I've not pulled a dc from school, but so many people say it's worthwhile to deschool them. I think it's mainly about getting them used to being at home and having time they structure rather than being little lemmings or whatever was going on at school. You may have school carryover issues to deal with (attitude, whatever). You may also have remediation to do. Not try to say your kids are behind, but just that the schools don't necessarily teach phonics, require correct spelling, etc. and you may have holes there.

On the dynamic thing, I would do some serious talking with that 6th grader to see what they want, how THEY envision their day going. She may want a daily checklist and more independence. You have a lot of mom-driven stuff there that might not work well with that. I'd toss that Minimus and look for something else. It's way light for a 6th grader and totally mom driven. Well I guess she could just read it, but it's not workbooky, not something you'd just hand her and expect much as a result. With the ages of your other kids, I don't see how you're going to get around needing some (or a LOT) of this work to be independent. Go through your list and see what is mom-driven vs. what is independent. Figure out how much time you can reasonably expect to get to work with her on together stuff (I get 40 minutes with my dd while I strap my wiggley boy in a booster seat), and after that she has to do her work independently or just with snippets of help from me. Homeschooling is NOT magic and more hours are NOT gonna appear in your day (or more calmness to the home) just because you bring them home, lol! So I'd get very realistic there. I couldn't get all those mom-driven things done with my dd, and I only have one little one. Maybe you're more organized or have a better plan. Make a plan.

On that science for the 6th grader, I'd get a prentice hall textbook, since you said secular is what you want. People talk about it all the time around here. It would be solid, a bit more independent, a method she's used to, and something you could spiff up with those extra books, kits, and projects you find. But that way you have a base. If you start off with a bunch of ecclectic stuff with a kid that age, you end up doing a lot of work pulling it together or keeping them in meat. Give yourself a spine with meat and then bring it to life with fun projects as you have time. Just a word to the wise. :)

Did you do the placement tests on the Singapore math? Don't assume, do the tests. On the SOTW, that's great. You might consider doing SL6 and 7, since they'd do it all for you. You can find IG's used if money is an issue. I'd drop the Minimus for her age and wait or find something more challenging and independent. (LfC, First Form, Henle, Latin Prep from Galore Park)

Writing for the 6th grader? Well the only LA I see in your list at all is Wordly Wise, which I don't even find that engaging. Kids are all different, but still. Do you have a copy of WTM? There might be one at your library. Your main need is to get her writing across the curriculum. Write in her history. She can outline her history spine and write paragraphs on additional topics she reds about. Write in her science. Write a book report weekly. WTM shows you how to take that writing across the curriculum and get her writing and reading enough. Then for the writing curriculum, well anything you like. You might find it easiest for this year, since you have no grammar or other LA stuff, to start with something that has it all in one place. Galore Park has an english some people like. R&S would work. A textbook that has grammar and writing assignments. Then you'd have it all in one place and be done. Might not be to your taste or what you want forever, but it's a place to start, kwim? Remember, you may need time to deschool. Then you have to learn how to teach, how to schedule, how to get along with each other, how to listen to each other. There's a lot more than academics that is going on! Make some easy choices, and go for the whole hog stuff next year. You can ramp it up. You don't have to go all the way to CW and Lost Tools of Writing and Analytical Grammar and whatnot the first year. :)

With the 2nd grader, are you thinking you'll do SOTW1? That would be great. Your other stuff looks great. You'll probably want some handwriting. He doesn't need vocab *and* spelling, just one or the other. For a 2nd grader, just spelling will be great. He can write narrations of his history and science. Looks great there!

Well I see you did have some ideas for the 6th gr science. If you like the Van Cleave books, and if your dd is the type who will do the projects herself (mine does, she's a go-getter), then that would work! But don't take anything on yourself, mercy. If she does those projects, then have her do write-ups, a paragraph or two.

Oh, oh, you might like Paragraph Writing Made Easy that we're doing! It's a workbook, just google it. Very straightforward, something she could do independently and have it carry over into that history and science writing. Then you'd just need a grammar program. We do Shurley, but you might not want that (teacher-driven). Has she even had grammar? JAG, AG, Easy Grammar, you have quite a few options.

If you just want a little something more, I've got my dd working through some workbooks (Spelling Works, Grammar Works) by Jim Halverson, and they're great. I think you can buy them as downloads from Currclick, because the regular versions are oop. Like I said, it's really helpful to have some independent things she can just do herself, without waiting for you. Grammar Works goes through basic conventions of punctuation, etc. Spelling Works is spelling rules, prefixes, etc., but with more sophisticated words to fit the age. Punctuation Puzzlers are good and the Editor in Chief stuff. Keeps them busy, builds skills. And the HUGE hit here this year with my dd is Mindbenders. She ADORES them, so I'd definitely make some room in your day for them!

:001_wub: wow you ladies are awesome and such a help! I think I will go with the prentice hall suggestion for this year with my 6th grader as that seems the best fit for her right now.

As far as de-schooling I am kind of on a tightish rope as to what I can and cannot do. We live in WV and well the school system here is AWFUL the girls hate school and want desperately to be homeschooled but their mom although willing is not 100% on board and my requirement is to keep them learning in a way that will produce hard evidence that it is working :001_huh: I am confident that I can teach them as I have practically homeschooled them all through summer using workbooks and other such materials and they eat it up. My 6th grader will definitely love the independence and my 2nd grader is very much a parent led learner as she hates doing things on her own.

I have a copy of TWTM and have read through it and am in love! :001_smile: I am also using a modified version of the workbox system which I think will be great for my 6th grader in that she can just work through her boxes each day and put a not up if she needs me to sit and help her with something. Math wise both of the girls are great at math and seem to really latch onto it! We did the tests and they placed into the books we have ordered. We use the library for most of our reading books and have them paired up to match the timeline of SOTW and are using many of the books suggested in TWTM as for reading during that timeline. Their real struggling point though lies in language arts. They struggle with independent thought, grammar especially, forming correct sentences and what not. I might end up dropping the wordly wise in the future but for now we are going to see how what we have works for us and will go from there.

Luckily for me my little are very laid back kids that LOVE school :001_smile: My 2.5 yr old begs me each day to do his "homework" and my 5 month old is content just to be near where we all are and watch us so me having time is not too much of a worry. I was running a full time business out of my home but am giving it up to homeschool my step daughters so it will just be a matter of swapping the time from the business into time with them. :001_smile:

I've been reading through a lot of the threads on this board and you all have such wonderful ideas and tips! Thanks so much for your help and I am sure I'll be popping back in here a lot to ask more questions and learn more from you all!

I only have a sec and didn't read through the replies carefully, but if no one else has pointed it out, I thought someone needed to.......

There is no way a typical ps child could jump into Singapore 6A. The 2nd grader will have no problems with Singapore. However, the way Singapore teaches math is completely different than typical math programs and unless a child has been exposed to their bar graph method, they would not be able to complete 6A w/o algebra.

ETA: another science suggestion for middle school is Plato science available through Homeschool buyers coop.

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1024

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

From my knowledge she has no experience with dictation or narration and from last year when I helped her with some of her papers from school she has a tough time coming up with her own ideas and getting them on paper.

Their real struggling point though lies in language arts. They struggle with independent thought, grammar especially, forming correct sentences and what not.

First, welcome to your new life! :) It's very rewarding.

Second, in regards to the above quotes, I cannot say enough about the wonderfulness of WWE as a solid foundation for future writing. Your 6th grader can use it; your 2nd grader can use it. You just call it "levels" instead of "grade" so the 6th grader doesn't get insulted. It will give the training you are talking about in the quotes, and you can (if you use the hardback version instead of workbooks) fold in whatever science/history/literature reading you are doing each week. Your 6th grader may end up going through it faster than the 2nd grader, and then she can start on another writing program, or start learning how to outline others' writing/rewriting from those outlines, and use that every week for writing practice, until she gets to doing persuasive papers, etc. in high school.

And, I also love FLL for grammar for younger kids, and R&S for grammar for older kids. The 6th grader could probably start at book 4 or 5 (again, call them levels, not grades).

We are using CPO science for 6th grade - it is written for 6th, 7th and 8th grades and you can choose from Earth, Life and Physical science. It is most assuredly secular. There are additional free helps like extra reading/skills worksheets, powerpoint presentations and demonstrations on their website

We've just started with the reading this week and my kids are really liking it (I have two 6th graders). The books are clearly laid out and readable (this is the reason I chose it over Prentice Hall which I find busy - ymmv). You can often get them fairly inexpensively, bundled with the lab books, on ebay if you don't mind using the California edition (titled "Focus on XXX Science", with slightly different covers and order of chapters).

:001_wub: wow you ladies are awesome and such a help! I think I will go with the prentice hall suggestion for this year with my 6th grader as that seems the best fit for her right now.

The awakening wonder that I posted uses one of the Prentice Hall books and just schedules out the experiment kit along with it and some extra living books to read as well. I think it would make it really easy for you.