Menu

What is the strangest thing you have ever eaten?

To me "strange" foods would be like bugs or grubs or worms or something like that. That would be pretty far outside of my comfort zone and I don't know how my gag reflex would deal with it. hehe ;)

I was in Mexico City once and we went to a restaurant that specialized in snakes, grubs, worms, grasshoppers, ants, and crickets (all of which we ordered) then after we went to a Pulquería, which is a "men-only" cantina that serves the fermented juice of the agave plant called "Pulque" (which when distilled becomes tequila or mescal).

Pulque has a quite quite unusual sour-fermented-spoiled taste I liked (they thought the gringo was going to ask for "fruit juice to be added" but I did not. It's not exactly how milk would taste if you left it out of the fridge a day or so, but that gets you somewhat close :D

On top of snakes and grasshoppers, who cared anymore? :lol:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Mexico City once and we went to a restaurant that specialized in snakes, grubs, worms, grasshoppers, ants, and crickets (all of which we ordered) then after we went to a Pulquería, which is a "men-only" cantina that serves the fermented juice of the agave plant called "Pulque" (which when distilled becomes tequila or mescal).

Pulque has a quite quite unusual sour-fermented-spoiled taste I liked (they thought the gringo was going to ask for "fruit juice to be added" but I did not. It's not exactly how milk would taste if you left it out of the fridge a day or so, but that gets you somewhat close :D

On top of snakes and grasshoppers, who cared anymore? :lol:

LOL I'm a native Floridian, but my family is Spanish/Cuban. I remember growing up in Ft. Lauderdale, I went to school with some other kids who were natives who ate frogs, snakes, alligators and such. Even though I've lived here my whole life, I've never once eaten any of those things. I don't know, I guess Cuban food tastes so good that I've never had the desire to try the more "native" fare. ;) :D

LOL I'm a native Floridian, but my family is Spanish/Cuban. I remember growing up in Ft. Lauderdale, I went to school with some other kids who were natives who ate frogs, snakes, alligators and such. Even though I've lived here my whole life, I've never once eaten any of those things. I don't know, I guess Cuban food tastes so good that I've never had the desire to try the more "native" fare. ;) :D

We have a great Cuban place around the corner. It does strike me funny that a Cuban restaurant is called "Versailles". But after the first bite, no more laughing :D

Bill

We have a great Cuban place around the corner. It does strike me funny that a Cuban restaurant is called "Versailles". But after the first bite, no more laughing :D

Bill

That is so funny! There is a Cuban restaurant called Versailles down here in Miami also. It is a Cuban/French fusion though. I wonder if it is owned by the same people as the one where you live?? :confused:

I can never eat in Cuban restaurants. The food is never as good as the homecooked version and I always leave disappointed. :( Cuban sandwiches and cafe con leche are the only things I can order from a restaurant and actually enjoy. :)

That is so funny! There is a Cuban restaurant called Versailles down here in Miami also. It is a Cuban/French fusion though. I wonder if it is owned by the same people as the one where you live?? :confused:

I can never eat in Cuban restaurants. The food is never as good as the homecooked version and I always leave disappointed. :( Cuban sandwiches and cafe con leche are the only things I can order from a restaurant and actually enjoy. :)

If memory serves, I think there was a famous restaurant in the pre-Castro period called "Versailles". The one (actually there are 3 around LA) here is stricky Cuban (no fusion). Their food is really good. Most people go for the citrus and garlic marinated grilled chicken, but their roasted lamb is the secret best dish. Getting hungry.

Have you ever gone swimming at the Biltmore in Coral Gables? I love that pool. has nothing to do with food. I just love that pool.

If memory serves, I think there was a famous restaurant in the pre-Castro period called "Versailles". The one (actually there are 3 around LA) here is stricky Cuban (no fusion). Their food is really good. Most people go for the citrus and garlic marinated grilled chicken, but their roasted lamb is the secret best dish. Getting hungry.

Have you ever gone swimming at the Biltmore in Coral Gables? I love that pool. has nothing to do with food. I just love that pool.

I LOVE Coral Gables!! It's such a pretty city. The Biltmore is a beautiful hotel! I've never swum in it though. I'm an ocean girl more than a pool girl I guess. :)

I LOVE Coral Gables!! It's such a pretty city. The Biltmore is a beautiful hotel! I've never swum in it though. I'm an ocean girl more than a pool girl I guess. :)

I'm an ocean guy too. But trust me on this, go to the pool some night, there will be like nobody there. And this pool is magic. The water is soft, you feel no chlorine, there is a water fall and the pool is HUGE!!!

I believe it is the largest pool in the United States. And so elegant. You must do this.

I'm an ocean guy too. But trust me on this, go to the pool some night, there will be like nobody there. And this pool is magic. The water is soft, you feel no chlorine, there is a water fall and the pool is HUGE!!!

I believe it is the largest pool in the United States. And so elegant. You must do this.

LOL Why do I feel like you're using a Jedi mind trick on me?? hehe ;)

Bill: "you must do this"

Me repeating: "I must do this" ;) :D hehehe

Okay, I will check out the Biltmore pool some night and feel this soft water! hehehe

Perhaps they use chlorine salt instead of chlorine gas. Chlorine salt pools feel very "soft".

Perhaps they use chlorine salt instead of chlorine gas. Chlorine salt pools feel very "soft".

Interesting. I don't know. I just know this pool is huge, the water is soft, the hotel surrounding (part of) it is grand, elegant, and beautiful.

I just had a feeling of well-being in that pool that I've never experience anything quite like. That good!

Bill

• 6 months later...