Menu

Suggestions for 1st grader?

anneinco

I am writing for a friend of a friend. I am currently hsing my dd who is K and was giving some ideas and figured I would bring the situation here to see what others had to say.

The family in question just moved to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon where the Dad is a ranger. They have two kids. 6 yo boy and a newborn. The boy was in ps K and is now (this did orriginally say not - typo) in first grade. Grandma (the one I am doing research for, as she is doing it for her daughter) says that they are 1 and 2 hours from decent towns. All my info is from Grandma, I do not know the family in question.

They are looking for ideas for curriculum. I am trying to get more info on where he is with reading (he does read to mom) as well as with math.

Does anyone have suggestions for curriculum that would not require trips to the library to supplement? Inexpensive is good since at this time they are still trying to sell their house where they used to live. Internet is limited. They have a verizon card but my understanding is that it is really slow. I think there had been plan to do something like K12 (possibly even K12) but with the internet issue it was not going to work.

She is going to look into what library resources are available in the "nearby" towns, how long they can check out or if they can work out longer check out periods because of the distance.

They will be snowed in for 3-4 months this winter. No other kids around other than park visitors. I think their plan is to stay for 2 years and then do not know where they will go so he might be back in school at that point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Free is good especially if it can be printed and sent to her.

Suggestions I made. Checking the visitor's log weekly and keeping track where people are from, mapping them out. Talking with visitors when appropriate about where they are from.

I am just learning more and more each day but I know there is a lot of knowledge and help here!

Anne

ETA: I posted this below but also want to add it here.

Adding on a couple things. I did ask whether they were looking for a faith based or secular and the grandma did not know for sure.

They are already there but I think Grandma is willing to print out and send stuff to her to help out

Edited by anneinco

They will have access to regular mail service, right? If so, publications like Which Way USA from Highlights magazine would be good for Geography. She'll need to get some basics before starting - a dictionary, a globe/atlas/good map, maybe some good "spines" for what she plans her children's content studies to be for the next couple years (ex. a Planet Earth encyclopedia if they'll be doing earth science, etc.). This would be a helpful supplement to any history, science, etc. since internet isn't an option.

I honestly don't know how to suggest a 'classical' way to begin homeschooling, cheaply, in that situation. I'm sure others can lend some knowledge. AO comes to mind first, but that does rely on either having a library nearby or purchasing some books (they do have a minimized list for those on a budget). She'd have to print everything she can before moving out there.

She could do straight Abeka with them for everything, maybe spicing up the history, science, and art with other books/projects. CLE is fairly cheap too.

VP and SL come to mind if I had to order everything all at once for a 2 year period and be done ordering at once. They are most definately not cheap by my definition though.

When she's at the library in the next town over, she could place online orders from Amazon as needed.

Surely someone else has better suggestions?

Thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming. I will be emailing links and suggestions to Grandma.

Adding on a couple things. I did ask whether they were looking for a faith based or secular and the grandma did not know for sure.

They are already there but I think Grandma is willing to print out and send stuff to her to help out.

A "first grader" who should be in K does not need very much. He will not need Sonlight history, or any history for that matter. Even if he was a full fledged first grader he would certainly not need all of that.

The Writing Road to Reading is an excellent program that can cover all Language Arts. For math, she will only need workbooks that she can flesh out with manipulatives of her own making.

A really good way to get used curriculum is by using yahoo groups. I got my Abeka Arithmetic for about 1/3 of the price. I have also seen Sonlight listed very inexpensively. (I would recommend Pre-K, K is more appropriate for 1st or 2nd grade.)

Oh, lol, thanks. Well then... I still think first graders need phonics, handwriting, math. Some read alouds, nothing planned out or expensive, and something fun with a workout for little hands (playdo, cut and paste, etc.) Nothing else is needed.

For DS, I plan to use McRuffy first grade along with books from http://tanglewoodeducation.com/bksrd.htm

There are a lot of printables here: http://dorioakes.bravehost.com/Grade1.html Math is at the bottom. Progressive Phonics is free to print for readers and worksheets. free online phonics lessons + Webster's Speller would be all you need for phonics. I am not sure how much of that her Gma can print out. She could print out readers and books from A2 (in my earlier post) or Ambleside Online. grammar and writing printouts She could also check with Book Samaritan.

I would go with CLP for phonics (Adventures in Phonics) and R&S for math.

I am sure she will have access to some great Grand Canyon books. I would go with that along with basic nature studies. How it was formed (of course this is widely debated so she would need to find books that fit her world view), what animals live there, the plant life, etc.

For history (even if not needed would be fantastic) I would find out the history of the Native Americans in the Grand Canyon, the explorers that first wandered there, etc.

Seems like even if she doesn't have access to a library, the above books would be available at the visitors center or gift shop at the canyon. At least there were tons when I was a kid and visited there back when the dinos roamed the earth. ;o)

If she is Christian I would put some focus on Creation and the Flood for Bible study. I am sure there are some great books at http://www.answersingenesis.com

If they are Christian, they could check out Heart of Dakota since that is more skill based rather than grade specific. If they worked through Little Hearts she could choose the K or first grade options for the science and math depending on his previous knowledge. Then use the free progressive phonics and start where the boy is at. That would eliminate the need for a library yet be pretty inexpensive.

Nature Study for science would be great and free! That could be part of art too.

Also, I can link you to files I have that would provide all the LA and Math for PK-3rd/4th grade that are free, and you don't need textbooks...so there's NO expense whatsoever. They could be printed and sent to her.

If she could find a used copy of Ruth Beechick's The Three R's, that would be beneficial in using the files as it's rooted in that. But, even if she could just borrow it from the library and read through it, take note of the ideas from them she likes, and then use the files to organize all the info of how and what to teach and in what order. It's a very solid start in math, LA, and includes phonics.

I agree that they don't have to have history and such, just talk about maps, towns, cities, states, countries, people in the community ("helpers"), etc.

Also, I can link you to files I have that would provide all the LA and Math for PK-3rd/4th grade that are free, and you don't need textbooks...so there's NO expense whatsoever. They could be printed and sent to her.

If she could find a used copy of Ruth Beechick's The Three R's, that would be beneficial in using the files as it's rooted in that. But, even if she could just borrow it from the library and read through it, take note of the ideas from them she likes, and then use the files to organize all the info of how and what to teach and in what order. It's a very solid start in math, LA, and includes phonics.

That is a good place to start. I am glad you came along.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep them coming if there are more!

I sent Grandma a copy/paste email of the suggestions with me filling in links when needed.

I have not looked at the last link for the free math and LA yet. I am on my way out to park day for my dd so will do that tonight.

Thanks again!

Well if she could get sonlight or Winter promise used I might go that route. If she has no access to the library and is going to be snowed in I'm thinking that maybe having lots of books to read when you are stuck in the house with the kids might be a good thing. Also I love McRuffy Phonics and we are about to start their math. I think that nature study would be great, but if she wants more formal science I'd look at http://www.scienceexcursion.com,noeo, or sonlight because they all have the science kits with them and she won't be having to go out for supplies.

Well if she could get sonlight or Winter promise used I might go that route. If she has no access to the library and is going to be snowed in I'm thinking that maybe having lots of books to read when you are stuck in the house with the kids might be a good thing. Also I love McRuffy Phonics and we are about to start their math. I think that nature study would be great, but if she wants more formal science I'd look at www.scienceexcursion.com,noeo, or sonlight because they all have the science kits with them and she won't be having to go out for supplies.
I thought that McRuffy Science has kits?

Yeah I forgot about them. their science has just never really appealed to me. Mainly because ds is a science nut and I don't think those lessons would last long. I don't hear of many people using it. I'm hoping that since it seems a lot more people are using their math and Phonics that we'll start hearing about their science too. It would be a secular option for the younger age range. Are there any other secular programs that have kits?