Menu

Israeli/Jewish cookbook recommendations??

This forum is such a fount of knowledge with so many people from so many backrounds I thought that there must be someone here who would know of a nice cookbook to learn how to cook Israeli/Jewish food.

I saw a wonderful movie with my husband last night called Ushpizin. It takes place in Israel during the Succoth festival in an orthodox Jewish community. The scenes where the table is spread with so many wonderful looking dishes made my mouth water and I wanted so much to pop into that movie and eat with them. :) hehehe

Since it's impossible to actually skidoo into a movie, I thought a cookbook with recipes for that type of cooking must be the next best thing. :)

So does anyone have any really nice Israeli cookbooks they can recommend??

Thanks to all who reply. :)

I saw a wonderful movie with my husband last night called Ushpizin. It takes place in Israel during the Succoth festival in an orthodox Jewish community. The scenes where the table is spread with so many wonderful looking dishes made my mouth water and I wanted so much to pop into that movie and eat with them.

I love that movie and the music is great too.

I have one Kosher cookbook called: Kosher by Design, short on time by Susie Fishbein. She has a whole series of these books. They are extremely easy to fix and delicious. They are all the traditional recipes, but there are some in there. You can also check out http://www.jewishrecipes.org/recipes/index.html for traditional recipes.

I saw a wonderful movie with my husband last night called Ushpizin. It takes place in Israel during the Succoth festival in an orthodox Jewish community. The scenes where the table is spread with so many wonderful looking dishes made my mouth water and I wanted so much to pop into that movie and eat with them. :)

I felt the same way when watching that movie!! Even my kids were drooling over the salad (more lemon! :) ).

I'll have to take a look into these cookbooks. Let us know if you discover some good eats, Ibbygirl!

Oh thank you so much for the additional suggestions. :) Yes the movie was wonderful and the food!! mmmm looked so good. I want to try that fish that she made and that meat that the guy grabbed the last bite with his hands. Oh, it all looked so wonderful! :drool:

I wonder The Book of Jewish Food, does it go much into the food in Israel?? I looked at it on amazon and it seems like it is heavily Ashkenazi am I wrong?

I wonder The Book of Jewish Food, does it go much into the food in Israel?? I looked at it on amazon and it seems like it is heavily Ashkenazi am I wrong?

The Book of Jewish Food is actually heavier on Sephardic recipes than Ashkenazi recipes, so there are plenty of recipes in there that are now Israeli (I lived in Israel for 9 months and was quite happy with this cookbook). If you want specifically Israeli recipes though, I suggest The Book of New Israeli Food or The Foods of Israel Today.

The Book of Jewish Food is actually heavier on Sephardic recipes than Ashkenazi recipes, so there are plenty of recipes in there that are now Israeli (I lived in Israel for 9 months and was quite happy with this cookbook). If you want specifically Israeli recipes though, I suggest The Book of New Israeli Food or The Foods of Israel Today.

Thank you for your reply. :) I'm glad that it is more Sephardic. :) That other book you mention sounds good too. Ooooh goodie, off to the library to see if they have them. :) Thanks again ladies. :grouphug:

This forum is such a fount of knowledge with so many people from so many backrounds I thought that there must be someone here who would know of a nice cookbook to learn how to cook Israeli/Jewish food.

I saw a wonderful movie with my husband last night called Ushpizin. It takes place in Israel during the Succoth festival in an orthodox Jewish community. The scenes where the table is spread with so many wonderful looking dishes made my mouth water and I wanted so much to pop into that movie and eat with them. :) hehehe

Since it's impossible to actually skidoo into a movie, I thought a cookbook with recipes for that type of cooking must be the next best thing. :)

Oh, Oh, I can help with this one. :D It's not necessarily new, but I've been wanted to buy Evelyn Rose's cookbook entitled, "The Complete Jewish Cookbook". I want one that is thorough and if I remember correctly it's several hindred pages long. I'm trying to find her one of her earlier editions that is more comprehensive in that regard.....alot of recipes.

Also, google Jewish Cookbooks and you'll find many good ones with reviews I might add. HTH!

Oh, Oh, I can help with this one. :D It's not necessarily new, but I've been wanted to buy Evelyn Rose's cookbook entitled, "The Complete Jewish Cookbook". I want one that is thorough and if I remember correctly it's several hindred pages long. I'm trying to find her one of her earlier editions that is more comprehensive in that regard.....alot of recipes.

Also, google Jewish Cookbooks and you'll find many good ones with reviews I might add. HTH!

Thank you so much! :) I checked my library's website and they had it! I just put it on hold. 700 pages! wow! There has to be a lot of good stuff in there. :) Thanks again. :)

• 2 months later...

Ibby, Did you ever check out "The (New) Complete International Jewish Cookbook" by Evelyn Rosen? I don't have it, but I've read every description on it...it seems. :001_smile: As soon as I find a good price, I'm off to buy it.

Claudia Roden has a cookbook of Jewish food:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Jewish-Food-Odyssey-Samarkand/dp/0394532589/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252796060&sr=8-3

I don't have this one, but I have her New Book of Middle Eastern Food, which I have really enjoyed.

hth!

I took my Mom to a cooking demonstration by Claudia Roden for Mother's Day years ago. She was lovely, and the dinner afterwards was great. I have her Mediterranean Cookery. I'm very tempted to get the one under discussion here.

Hmm, I'm Jewish (and Orthodox) and have quite a collection. Actually my best friend is a food writer and she gets a 'review' copy of just about every cookbook out there (lucky her!) so she lets me try them. My personal favorites:

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Kosher-Recipes-Bride-Nothing/dp/1583309608/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259279300&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Kosher-Palette-Elegant-Modern-Cooking/dp/0967663806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259279373&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Kosher-Palette-II-Simplicity-Cooking/dp/0967663814/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Spirit-Complete-Cookbook-classic/dp/082660238X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259279416&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Levanas-Table-Kosher-Cooking-Everyone/dp/1584792736/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259279443&sr=1-1

Don't know why I can't label these with the hyperlink, sorry. The first three are go-to cookbooks (and the first features articles as well; the writer is actually quite funny). The third is a tried and true classic -- beware the recipes tend to be large (large families). The last is by a famous kosher restaurant chef who is Morrocan, and the dishes reflect a Sepharadi/North African flavor.

You can probably get one or more from the library. All the Susie Fishbein books are great; the Short on Time one is the least 'fussy.'

I have more, if you're interested, but those are a great start. B'tai avone (Hebrew for bon appetit).

Ibby, Did you ever check out "The (New) Complete International Jewish Cookbook" by Evelyn Rosen? I don't have it, but I've read every description on it...it seems. :001_smile: As soon as I find a good price, I'm off to buy it.

She doesn't really come on here any more. I can poke her and ask her to come and answer your question if it's important. Then I'm sure she would, being the agreeable and helpful type that she is :)

Rosie

• 1 month later...

I really like Cooking the Israeli Way by Josephine Bacon, which is a kids book (translation: it's really easy to follow). Your library may have a copy available. Most Jewish cookbooks do not focus on Israeli food (because Israeli food is very different than Jewish food from the diaspora. Afterall, the food that was available in Israel was not what most Jews in the diaspora had available!).

Hi Sheryl,

I checked out a bunch of the Jewish cookbooks that were listed here (actually all of the ones that were named that I could find in my library ;) ) and pretty much as soon as they started coming in I got really busy with Outreaches and then holidays and as a result I only got the chance to look at one of them before they had to go back to the library. I believe it was one of Joan Nathans IIRC. sigh. I'm off to check them out again. :) hehe I think my librarian must hate me. :glare:

She doesn't really come on here any more. I can poke her and ask her to come and answer your question if it's important. Then I'm sure she would, being the agreeable and helpful type that she is :)

Rosie

Fresca! hehe

Hmm, I'm Jewish (and Orthodox) and have quite a collection. Actually my best friend is a food writer and she gets a 'review' copy of just about every cookbook out there (lucky her!) so she lets me try them. My personal favorites:

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Kosher-Recipes-Bride-Nothing/dp/1583309608/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259279300&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Kosher-Palette-Elegant-Modern-Cooking/dp/0967663806/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259279373&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Kosher-Palette-II-Simplicity-Cooking/dp/0967663814/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Spice-Spirit-Complete-Cookbook-classic/dp/082660238X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259279416&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Levanas-Table-Kosher-Cooking-Everyone/dp/1584792736/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259279443&sr=1-1

Don't know why I can't label these with the hyperlink, sorry. The first three are go-to cookbooks (and the first features articles as well; the writer is actually quite funny). The third is a tried and true classic -- beware the recipes tend to be large (large families). The last is by a famous kosher restaurant chef who is Morrocan, and the dishes reflect a Sepharadi/North African flavor.

You can probably get one or more from the library. All the Susie Fishbein books are great; the Short on Time one is the least 'fussy.'

I have more, if you're interested, but those are a great start. B'tai avone (Hebrew for bon appetit).

Oh those sound wonderful. Thank you so much for the recommendations. Shalom. :)

And thank you to all of you lovely ladies for the recommendations. You gals rock. :grouphug: