Menu

Organizing pantry shelves.

My pantry is a big closet in my hallway. The closet has deep shelves - about 2 feet deep and 3 feet wide. There is about a foot between shelves. What I would really like is roll-out pantry shelves in that area but that is not going to happen in the near future. So I need to organize these shelves. They are so deep that getting any kind of organization thing going is really hard. For one thing, I tend to forget (or just can't get to easily) the things in the back of that 2 feet deep space. Any suggestion? The kinds of things I put there are canned goods, bottled goods that don't need refrigeration until opening, baking goods, cereals, snacks etc.

I actually had my dad build me a closet that sounds similar to yours in my kitchen over the summer. I have long baskets for snacks that the kids can pull out and rummage through, I stack alike things deep rather than wide, and there are baskets for chips. The cereal boxes get stacked deep too, but I only allow 2-3 boxes of cereal to be open at a time which allows for the other boxes to go behind the open ones. All baking goods go on one shelf to make it easier to see what I need to rebuy. It took a bit of playing with, but the system seems to be working now.

You will find your perfect system, but I am guessing it will involve baskets of some sort lol.

I have deep pantry shelves too. I bought about 30 large glass jars (I bought them 2nd hand over months- they are old huge olive jars mostly) and I keep all bulk goods in them- sugar, various flours and grains and legumes, and anything where the packet gets opened and pantry months might get to the contents. These jars all sit toward the back of the shelves and other goods (that are shorter) further forward.

I also have separate areas for different things. I hae all tins stacked in one area. All drieds fruits and nuts in another. All biscuits and pkt goods in another, all condiments on another shelf.

This was not mentioned in the original description, so I'll ask. Is this closet well-lit ? Being able to see what is in the pantry is essential for knowing what is "forgotten" ! If no lighting is available, then keep a flashlight at the front of a shelf.

Baskets on casters, if such exist, might help. Baskets are useful for storing bagged items and small boxed items.

Labels affixed to the front edge of each shelf ?

and I've found it useful to buy the clear, plastic, shoeboxes from Target or Walmart and set them side by side in my cupboard, with taller items behind them. I have one labeled "Italian dinners" and have it stocked with dried pasta, sauces, garlic spread seasonings, etc. I have another one next to it with "Mexican dinners" that is stocked with refried beans, black beans, jiffy cornbread mix and spice packets. I keep a large jar of rice behind this box as I frequently need to make rice with my mexican dinners. I wrote the instructions for cooking the rice on the lid of the jar in sharpie. I have a box for canned veggies and one for baking stuff. I check these baskets prior to going shopping to keep them stocked. I keep all my cereals and breakfast food on the top shelf. I only buy a couple of types of cereal, so I bought a tupperware-type container that holds a couple of boxes worth and I keep them on the top shelf with the pancake and oatmeal stuff.

hth

K

I had a pantry similar to what you describe in a previous home. I emptied a few cabinets in the kitchen of their small appliances, and seldom used and specialty dishes (platters, punch bowls, etc.). I used the kitchen cabinets to store frequently used food items, and used a couple of shelves of the pantry for an overflow or longer-term storage of food.

It worked out well and was much more time-saving to have the most heavily used items in a logical place, rather than where they were "supposed" to be. I just had to let go of my idea that food belongs in the pantry and waffle makers belong in the cabinet! Thinking outside of the box doesn't always come naturally to me!!

I would stick emergency jugs of water in the back (hey, it needs to be stored somewhere!) or even seasonal items like Christmas tree ornament boxes - whatever is bulky and won't go "stale". Then you have shallower shelves for the actual food and stuff won't go bad on you lurking in the dark recesses of the pantry.

Then have one shelf for baking supplies - extra flour, sugars, oil etc. - another for bottles/cans, another for pasta/grains - you get the idea. That way if you are looking for, say, a jar of peanut butter you have only one shelf to dig through (unless your hubby, looking for something, moves everything around and messes up your organization. Been there....)

I have a similar situation with my pantry cabinets. One trick I use is to stack canned goods so that only one of each variety faces out. All the rest of the same variety are lined up single file behind the first one. That way I can look across the front row and see all of the different canned goods I have.

Second, you can buy devices that will lift up the items in the rear to better visibility but you can also use 2x4 boards. Get several of them cut to the width of your cabinet and then graduate them like stair steps. So the first row of cans will be on the floor of the cabinet. The second will be sitting on one 2x4. The third row will be sitting up on two 2x4's taped together, etc.

And finally, sometimes I use those dim, dark recesses of the cabinet to store all those rarely used appliances or special holiday serving bowls,etc. Things I want in my kitchen but don't use often.

Our pantry is also our closet -- the one that is traditionally for coats, but it's right on the wall next to the kitchen doorway, so it works for me.

We also have a double cabinet, a narrow cabinet, and a double cabinet above the stove in the kitchen.

The narrow, tall one is for open cereal boxes. The rest of the cereal is stored in the closet.

My baking things are above the stove with the things I don't often use on the top shelf.

The other double cabinet holds glass jars with various grains, popcorn, coconut on the top shelf.

The second shelf has jars with beans, lentils, brown rice, white rice and wheat berries. It also holds several boxes of pastas.

The third shelf holds a bowl with ice cream toppings, peanut butter, honey, raisins, graham crackers, granola bars, etc. My husband added this shelf.

The bottom shelf holds crackers, chips, and snack nuts. These are the snacks people can choose from. Extra snacks are in the pantry.

So, our pantry is more of a backup. Two shelves hold food with the lower one holding more of the canned items, pasta, sauces and the upper holding cereal, snacks and extra baking supplies.

One of the pantry shelves holds birthday party supplies, cake/cookie decorating stuff, and extra cleaning supplies/ziploc bags/sponges.

The other shelf holds my grain mill, travel food containers, disposable bakeware, griddle, etc.

My extra wheat berries and rice are in five-gallon buckets in the garage.

My crock pots sit on the floor in the pantry.

One wall in my kitchen holds my stamps and stamping supplies, so I have to be very creative with how I store things.

For now, I'll just dream of a walk-in pantry and a scrapbooking room. :)

Ooo. Some neat ideas!

I do have those baskets/shoebox type tubs around the house. I'll have to scrounge some up to use in my pantry.

Labeling the shelves is a wonderful idea. It isn't only my dh who messes up any system that I might have, it is also my two children.

Yes, I'm thinking that I do want like items together. Putting cans in a row with one label in front sounds good.

The flashlight idea is great! It is dark toward the back. I often find things by feel (which is another reason everything gets all messed up.!

I use the really high up storage in the hall pantry closet for some appliances. But I still don't have room in my kitchen for more food items.:sad: Sigh. . . I want a new pantry (with roll out shelves) and a new kitchen!

So any of you want to come over for a pantry organizing party?!