Menu

The Economics Behind Misbehaving In School

One point: If you can misbehave on the first day of class in front of the entire school and have no consequences, it's a great way to show you're brave.

My take was this: You can misbehave on the first day of school. They'll let it slide. It's a great way to get attention from your peers and to make friends. They'll see what kind of person you are, and people will gravitate to you--saves a lot of time because like-minded people will come to you instead of you trying to figure out one-on-one who you should be friends with.

My take was this: You can misbehave on the first day of school. They'll let it slide. It's a great way to get attention from your peers and to make friends. They'll see what kind of person you are, and people will gravitate to you--saves a lot of time because like-minded people will come to you instead of you trying to figure out one-on-one who you should be friends with.

Yes. You said it much better than I.

An efficient way to make friends.

I get that much, but I am wondering about all the ramifications of being socially efficient... and whether it is, after all, truly efficient?

This guy may miss learning some valuable skills of developing relationships. He may find people who are like him, or who would like to be like him, but will he then be quick to exclude those - his counterpoints, so to speak - who would bring out his other (and better) qualities? That his actions have possibly predisposed school authorities to view him in such a way that his education will suffer (not right, but possible, perhaps)?

If we're making economic observations here, I would think that, in the long run, he may be getting a very low return on his investment. So, is it truly efficient? That's what I'm pondering.

One point: If you can misbehave on the first day of class in front of the entire school and have no consequences, it's a great way to show you're brave.

There are others, but I gotta run.

:auto:

Well, my brother covered the asst. principal with silly string in the middle of the lunchroom his senior year. She told him to go to her office immediately. He said when she came in she was laughing hysterically. When my father heard, he called her and told her she had his permission to return the favor.

At graduation, he walked across stage, got his diploma, shook the principal's hand, got his picture taken, and then stepped off of the stage. He heard, "Get him!" and was promptly bombarded from 4 different directions with silly string!:lol: Wonder who provided the silly string?

I don't know that the whole thing made anyone think he was brave, but it did continue the social status he so enjoyed. This is the kid who had a "persona" that did the announcements once a week and took dance as a class in order to do comedy routines at pep rallies.

He was popular with both students and teachers. He did well in school, volunteered for all kinds of things, ran his own business, etc. AND he was very overtly Christian and spent a bunch of time talking to other students about Christ.

For him, the cost was worth the benefits. He is now in a professional job with great pay at 24. He is married with one child and has his pregnant 15yo sister living with him. By all accounts, he is a responsible, successful man.

A few month ago he posted a video on Facebook of he and his office mates playing baseball - the bats were swords and the balls were pumpkins! And he was wearing a suit!:lol:

So...maybe he isn't all that different from high school!;)