Menu

what is not necessary in HWOT program?

storkyswan

All I got were the student books. Someone lent me the teacher's manual, but I don't think it's essential. Once you've gone through the books you will want some kind of paper for practice/copywork but you don't really need that at first.

I used things I already had like a whiteboard to practice the letters. I know others have really liked the slates when there have been past threads on this but I have a weird pet peeve thing about chalkboards at all. Cannot stand them, they make my skin crawl. So I left that out and it was fine. :) I did have ds practice writing in shaving cream on a cookie sheet early on which he loved. And we also used rice in a shallow container. It made the same rectangle as the HWT and he'd practice first making the letter in the rice using his finger. The big motion made it easy for him to do and I think it helped with getting the concepts down.

Depends on the level. If your kiddo is a Kindergartener (or a new-ish writer as a first grader), then definitely get the slate. You can make your own sponge eraser and get chalk wherever. My mom (an occupational therapist who uses this program in public school) suggests the wooden pieces for kindergarteners, but said you could make your own pieces also.

You don't need the teacher book but you probably do want paper.

We only thing we really need is the workbook. However, my boy has never had any trouble with small motor skills and was using a pencil at a very young age. I did get both chalkboards that the program sells, but we hardly use them for handwriting. He uses them more for drawing pictures.

Sigh. OK, sounds like I need a little bit more than the teacher's manual . . . I was hoping to keep things a little less pricey. Thanks everyone for the responses. But, since some of you did reply that all you got were the student books, maybe I will be cheapo mommy, and just do that unless I see a problem?

I just buy the student books. (I also bought the slates - 2 of them for at the time my two sons - but like a pp, they only get used here for drawing. We could have done without them.) I make the writing paper on the computer in Publisher (I measure the lines for whatever book it being used and make straight lines that far apart). Cheap and easy. :)

I don't know how old your dc is, but please beware that HWT ONLY teaches capital letters in PreK and first half of K. I love, love, loved the program until I started using ETC primers with my dd last year( after she had used PreK and was starting K) and she did not know how to write lower case letters. ETC did teach her how to write lower case at the start of k, but I had a terrible time breaking my dd of the habit of only writing with capital letters.

Over all I'm very disappointed that HWT doesn't put as much emphasis on lower case letter as capital letters in the beginning. I know the argument is that capital letters are easier, but why put so much emphasis on letters that are used very, very little in real writing. I was also disappointed that there weren't manipulative for lower case letter like for capital letters. Once you start learning lower case, you only use the lined slate.

Edited by Tabrett

I don't know how old your dc is, but please beware that HWT ONLY teaches capital letters in PreK and K. Lower case letters don't begin till the middle of 1st...

The K book titled "Letters and Numbers for Me" begins lower case letters in the middle of the book starting on page 41.

The K book titled "Letters and Numbers for Me" begins lower case letters in the middle of the book starting on page 41.

You're right! Sorry! Still, if you do the PreK book then K, it is 1.5 years of only capitals. And-they don't have all the manipulatives for the lower case, which was the original reason I loved the program.

I was so excited I think I purchased almost everything. I never ever use the play dough and my kids just played with the wooden pieces. We lost the CD. I never have time for "Mat Man" even though I cut out foam in every shape I would need. They did have fun with the extras as toys and it was a nice distraction to have my toddler play with those items while I worked with my older child. In my opinion - handwriting would take forever if you used all the bells and whistles. They are cool but you have to be ready to invest the time.

I just got the Kindergarten package for DS when it was on sale, and wish I hadn't. He and DD1 enjoy playing with the wood pieces (and I'm sure I'll use them some with DD1), but he hasn't really been needing them. We aren't using the CD at much at all, we listened to a couple of the tracks but I doubt we'll listen to it again. I have the TM since it came with the set, but so far it hasn't really been necessary.

Thanks Tabrett on the info about the capital letters. I do think that could be confusing, esp as I am considering using ETC as well. So, maybe I will just get the student workbooks and change up the order a little bit to include lowercase earlier.

Oh dear! This is ONLY handwriting we are discussing, and I'm already tweaking the program. Great! I'm pretty sure I will end up tweaking everything else I purchase too. I don't know if these message boards are helpful or not! :D

I was so excited I think I purchased almost everything. I never ever use the play dough and my kids just played with the wooden pieces. We lost the CD. I never have time for "Mat Man" even though I cut out foam in every shape I would need. They did have fun with the extras as toys and it was a nice distraction to have my toddler play with those items while I worked with my older child. In my opinion - handwriting would take forever if you used all the bells and whistles. They are cool but you have to be ready to invest the time.

You made me laugh! Sometimes it is worth it to over purchase just so you can throw something down on the floor for the toddler . . . something besides cheerios that is.:lol:

All you really need are the student book and the special paper. The teacher's guide would probably be good for the first year and sometime there are words you're supposed to dictate in the teacher's guide but once you get the idea about how to instruct the HWT way, it's pretty straightforward.

All you really need are the student book and the special paper. The teacher's guide would probably be good for the first year and sometime there are words you're supposed to dictate in the teacher's guide but once you get the idea about how to instruct the HWT way, it's pretty straightforward.

OK, good to know. I'll put my order in for just the student book.

I was also disappointed that there weren't manipulative for lower case letter like for capital letters.

I actually found some a Lakeshore Learning! http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|productSubCat~~p|2534374302096575~~f|/Assortments/Lakeshore/ShopByCategory/language/learningthealphabet.jsp

I haven't decided if I'm going to buy them yet.

Thanks Tabrett on the info about the capital letters. I do think that could be confusing, esp as I am considering using ETC as well. So, maybe I will just get the student workbooks and change up the order a little bit to include lowercase earlier.

Oh dear! This is ONLY handwriting we are discussing, and I'm already tweaking the program. Great! I'm pretty sure I will end up tweaking everything else I purchase too. I don't know if these message boards are helpful or not! :D

If you plan on using ETC AB&C, wait to buy HWT. ETC AB&C has handwriting included. You would just need to add the vowels. You could easly print off some free handwriting worksheet on-line for vowels. Here is lesson p in ETC B. As you can see it give instruction on forming the letter and 2 pages of pratice.