Menu

Chicken owners - rotating eggs?

We follow a very simple plan. I put the new eggs on one shelf in the refrigerator and the older ones on a second shelf. I use from the second shelf and as soon as I empty a carton, I move one down from the first shelf. I also tend to move them from left to right, so the oldest on each shelf are on the bottom right hand side and the freshest on each shelf are on the top left.

You can freeze eggs by lightly beating them first and pouring into ice cube trays. There is also a product called Keepegg which will preserve them for a long time in the shell. If this is your first experience with eggs, don't forget that as the daylight hours shorten in the late fall and winter, your production will slow way down unless you boost the hens with artificial light to extend the "daytime". I think I read somewhere that May was the top month for egg production.

Wow, that's so simple you think I would have thought of it :001_smile: Thanks for the info!!

Lisa

We follow a very simple plan. I put the new eggs on one shelf in the refrigerator and the older ones on a second shelf. I use from the second shelf and as soon as I empty a carton, I move one down from the first shelf. I also tend to move them from left to right, so the oldest on each shelf are on the bottom right hand side and the freshest on each shelf are on the top left.

You can freeze eggs by lightly beating them first and pouring into ice cube trays. There is also a product called Keepegg which will preserve them for a long time in the shell. If this is your first experience with eggs, don't forget that as the daylight hours shorten in the late fall and winter, your production will slow way down unless you boost the hens with artificial light to extend the "daytime". I think I read somewhere that May was the top month for egg production.

We only get about 6 a day but I do is I have a carton in the fridge, and as I use them, I shift the eggs down to the left, and refill the empty spaces to the right. So I am always using the older ones first. We have a basket on the counter to hold a day or two's worth that I draw from as the carton empties. If I get a back log (which happens all the time!) I pack cartons up to give to friends and family.

As a side note, I keep a separate half carton in the fridge for eggs that are a few weeks old. I use those for hard boiling and making egg salad. I find the newer eggs are a huge PIA to peel, but if they are a few weeks old they peel very easily.

We also try to avoid washing the eggs, to retain the bloom. However, if the egg is dusty or dirty, we'll rub it gently under warm running water (warmer than the egg to prevent the bacteria on the shell from being sucked through the pores).

We also write the date on the wide end with a pencil. (The people who buy our eggs really like knowing on which day each egg was laid.)

:)

We also try to avoid washing the eggs, to retain the bloom. However, if the egg is dusty or dirty, we'll rub it gently under warm running water (warmer than the egg to prevent the bacteria on the shell from being sucked through the pores).

We also write the date on the wide end with a pencil. (The people who buy our eggs really like knowing on which day each egg was laid.)

:)

Okay, please explain to this novice what a bloom is. I've been washing the chicken poop off with water. Doese cold water encourage the bacteria to enter the egg? Please, please educate me before I poison my kids . . .

Blessings,

Lisa

Okay, please explain to this novice what a bloom is. I've been washing the chicken poop off with water. Doese cold water encourage the bacteria to enter the egg? Please, please educate me before I poison my kids . . .

Blessings,

Lisa

The "bloom" is the natural protective coating (invisible) on the outside of all eggs, put there by mother nature as a way of protecting the unborn chick from harmful bacteria. Likewise, it keeps some bacteria from entering the egg once it makes its way into the world and into human hands. Washing the egg removes this coating, but in the grand scheme of things, you are better off to wash off any clinging dirt or fecal matter than to not wash the egg to preserve the bloom. Best scenario: keep nesting boxes as clean as possible and collect eggs once a day, in late morning, to prevent the eggs from becoming soiled in the first place. Some people advocate gently scrubbing/wiping away any cling-on muck with a soft dry cloth and/or soft scrubbie as opposed to washing. I always preferred washing in warm (some recommendations suggest 20 degrees warmer than the egg) water those eggs which needed it and leaving clean eggs alone.

Hope that helps.

We have two egg cartons in the fridge. We put eggs into the top one starting at the front, and we take eggs out of the bottom one starting at the front. When the bottom carton is empty, we swap them so that the new eggs go into the empty one. Clear as mud?

Oh and we never wash them before putting them away. If we do get a mucky one we wash it right before cooking.

Edited by Hotdrink