Menu

school rules

Well, mostly like the pp, they're the same as the 'house rules'. But I can think of a few 'rules' that specifically apply to school:

No crying about school. Seriously, mommy has NEVER refused to help you; come ask for help instead of crying. (WHY does he let himself get so frustrated that he CRIES instead of just coming to ask for help?!)

No glue unless you ask. (See siggy. :))

If you're three years old, you also must ask to use scissors.

No cutting anything but paper with the scissors. This includes the cute curtains mommy just made for the school room cupboards, as well as the cord to the cd player. :glare: And, you know, ANYTHING ELSE that's not paper.

It's supposed to be fun. Let's have fun. It's not fun if you're whining. So NO WHINING.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that specifically apply to school. We've got house rules that apply all the time, like no hitting your brother, do your best, etc.

No crying about school. Seriously, mommy has NEVER refused to help you; come ask for help instead of crying. (WHY does he let himself get so frustrated that he CRIES instead of just coming to ask for help?!)

I have one like this. I go back and forth b/t low frustration level or beginning of pride. I'm trying to deal with both.

No TV or video games during school hours unless assigned or approved. Mostly applies to 3yo now.

If one person is annoyed by the noise level, that person can work in their room; but if one person's noise if bothering everyone else, the noisy one works in their room.

After 3pm, Mom will no longer be at beck and call. I will answer questions, but dinner, cleaning, etc need attention too.

I have one like this. I go back and forth b/t low frustration level or beginning of pride. I'm trying to deal with both.

Wagnfun, I hear ya. I'm pretty sure with my guy, it's low frustration level. I guess honestly I've never thought it was pride, because I don't see him as prideful in other areas. Thanks for the advice; I'll be watching out for pride, too. Now that I think about it more, it very likely could be both. There's a bit of 'I want to figure this out on my own, I don't need Mommy's help' mixed in with a bit of 'this is just too hard, WAHHHHH'. Two of his favorite quotes are 'It's impossible!' and 'I can't do it no matter what!' Then, we he gets it five seconds later, he chuckles at how it's not really 'impossible' after all.

Hmmm, now I'm really thinking...

This is ds6 who has this problem. He's a bit advanced academically for his age. When anything is 'too hard' for him to get it all by himself the first time, then it's 'just too hard', period. I guess that IS pride, isn't it?

Thanks for the help; didn't mean to hijack the thread...

Number 1: Don't whine.

Number 2: Privileges are earned when the day's work is done to the teacher's satisfaction.

Number 3: A polite request, preferably with alternative suggestions, will get you a lot farther than a tantrum.

Number 4: If you wouldn't behave that way toward your leader/teacher in scouts, theater, fencing, etc. classes, don't behave that way toward your mother at home.

Not that we don't break all these rules on a daily basis ... :001_huh: