Menu

*sigh* Our second a/c unit went out today. We've been limping along with one.......

The boys have been sleeping downstairs and we haven't "done school" upstairs (the plan was to do school upstairs this year to keep the school stuff out of common areas).

It was inconvenient but do-able.

Now BOTH a/c units are out.

I have no money. In addition to ongoing legal issues, lack of adequate child support, lack of tutoring income this summer and bus driving supplemental income........we are very behind on nearly everything.

We do have medical benefits, both adults and all kids. We have food. We can't afford to downsize; we can't afford deposits, moving first or last month's rent.

I feel like we are out of options.

I know money is tight but could you look at refurbished air conditioners? I've never lived in Texas (where I think I remember is where you live) but I'm assuming that an air conditioner is a necessity?

We can't afford that, even. Literally every bill is due/over due.

One of the units (the one that went out first) is "original" to the house. It's from the 80's and there is no point in fixing it. The other unit is newer, but aging.

"Necessity"? Well, technically.....no? Yes? I don't know. It's not very comfortable.

ETA: Yes, texas. :)

Edited by Joanne

You are not alone.

My house has hit 89 degrees for days (weeks) on end. It was actually hotter in my house than outside.

We keep our backpacks packed and head to the library to do school. We try to stay out of the house as much as possible.

Thankfully it is finally getting a little cooler in my neck of the woods.

This happened to me when I was a teen. Lived in Alabama. Middle of summer. Temperatures around 100*. We were without air conditioning for at least a month. It was probably the rest of the summer from when it went out. Unless you have serious health problems it really is not a necessity. It takes about a week for your body to adjust to the heat. Then, it still feels hot; but you don't feel like you are going to die. You may find it to be more comfortable outside in the shade than indoors during the day. If you have any fans available, try to set them up so that you get cross ventilation going in the house (some blowing in/opposite side blow out). Back before air conditioning, houses were build so this would happen naturally. It really is a matter of what your body is used to. :grouphug: