Menu

Lapbook / notebook recommendation

We are going to buy our eldest dd a laptop for her Christmas/birthday gift this year. Is there one you would recommend (or any to avoid)? It needs to be fast enough to run online classes and use the internet for some research and it needs to be able to run standard software (Microsoft Office) and store all of her school work, papers, etc. It doesn't need to be top of the line, just functional.

Thanks!

We have 4 Dells, 2 desktops and 2 laptops. They are really nice, and plan to buy dh a new laptop sometime this winter. When I was shopping I found good deals at notebookreview.com. I compared models and information at Cnet, notebook review and a few other tech sites. We ended up with XPSs but they are a bit more than you need (unless she is into gaming :0) ).

I think the "net books" are very limited as to what they can do. They are great for emailing and basic internet...but beyond that, their capacity for memory and RAM is small, so they will be slow and run out of memory fairly quickly. It will run some of the newer software that requires more memory very slowly. It's why they are the only new computers you can buy with Windows XP, not Vista, because they can't run Vista. (whic isn't a huge deal, if you are not a Vista fan, but the long-term ramifications are yet to be known, Microsoft is about to come out with a NEW operating system, which means XP will be even more outdated) Maybe not a problem for a 11 year old, but as she grows along with her workload and software usage, it could be a problem. I assume you will want her to use this for at least 3-4 years.

With back to school sales, and soon to be holiday sales, if you spend another $100 or so, you can get a quality full-size notebook/laptop, 15 incher or so.

We have always had HP computers, both desktop and now two laptops...never any problems.