Menu

Help! I'm almost done with OPG and our new books are on backorder!

athena1277

We have about 4 lessons left in OPG. I was planning to start the Elson Readers next. I ordered them from a certain company because they were the only ones who had a teacher's guide to use with the readers. They have been on backorder for about 3 months! I went on and started our school year weeks ago, thinking surely they would be here by the time I needed them. That's what I get for thinking!:glare: I called a couple weeks ago and they have no idea when they will have them available.

So what do I do now? If I wait for the Elson books, I need something for the between time. I know a lot of people use various books without a guide, but I struggle with what to do for reading without it.

Advice? Suggestions?

McGuffey Readers are free online, you could figure out which level you need and print out some pages. I like them because they have the difficult words up front, you work on sounding them out and then you get to enjoy the story.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/m#a5671

You could also print out some syllable divided texts. Syllables ending in a vowel are long (ba-ker, ma-ker, bi-ble), syllables ending in a consonant are short (an-drew, in-to, tom-boy)

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllabledividedb.html

If you are almost done with OPGTR, why do you need to buy special readers? I'm just asking, cuz I thought a child who finished OPGTR would be at 2nd-3rd grade reading level, so at that point, isn't it just a matter of practice, practice, practice. Wouldn't any library book of your/her choice be just as good, why special "readers"? Just askin'.

My problem with just using books from the library, etc. is I don't know A) Which ones to use when and B) what to do besides just reading it. I worry a lot about comprehension and don't really know what to do to ensure that she's getting all she's supposed to out of a book.:confused:

My problem with just using books from the library, etc. is I don't know A) Which ones to use when and B) what to do besides just reading it. I worry a lot about comprehension and don't really know what to do to ensure that she's getting all she's supposed to out of a book.:confused:

How about picking some books that you know and just having a conversation with her about what she's reading? I think you are at the most enjoyable point of teaching reading- the part where you can reap the rewards!

A) Which ones to use when and

Books that are good quality and fun. There are lots of good book lists online and you can ask the librarian for recommendations too.

B) what to do besides just reading it.

Talk about it, about what happened, what she thought about the characters, what she learned.

If you're using WWE and FLL and doing those narrations, how is a reading comprehension program possibly going to be better? When I used Abeka's reading program (which is very good by most accounts) there was far less detail than the questions/narrations in WWE.

Of course, I do think a good set of readers is money well spent if the child enjoys them just because the stories are great. I've been tempted to get them myself (and I don't do reading comprehension as a rule). I'm a bit put off by the numbered lines though. I don't know why.