Menu

Do you use BookMooch?

HSMom2One

I just found out about BookMooch yesterday and set out right away to add inventory. By the first day's end, I had requests for two of my books! Today there was yet another request, and another from a foreign country.

While I'm glad to have this happen, I wonder if it will pay off for me. The books I've listed are less than one year old and have been used minimally, and some have never even been read. Yet when I posted all of the books I'd like to have, none of them came up....that is until this afternoon when I was away from the computer when one did pop up. By the time I replied, the book was already gone.

If you use BookMooch, please give me some tips. Do you think it is worth it? Have you had good or bad experiences to share?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Blessings,

Lucinda

If you use BookMooch, please give me some tips. Do you think it is worth it? Have you had good or bad experiences to share?

I typically post my very nice books at Paperbackswap because I usually am able to get more of my wishlisted books from their wishlist, and they do have posting criteria. But I also do like BookMooch and have been able to find some books there that weren't available at PBS, and sometimes books that aren't available in the US will be available internationally.

I can also post books at BookMooch that aren't postable at PBS, but are still very readable (a torn page, a small stain, etc), and they allow you to post your specific book's condition.

Interestingly enough, I don't think I've had a really bad swap at Bookmooch - I've either known what to expect because of the book conditions posted, or if none have been posted, the books have been in good condition. However, I've had several bad swaps at PBS where people have posted books that didn't meet PBS posting criteria and I've had to deal with trying to get my credit back. At least twice, I didn't receive it back.

I use both PBS and Bookmooch. I usually get more books from PBS, but I have gotten some incredible books off of Bookmooch. I got Kingfisher's Geography Encyclopedia from there. I think it goes in spurts for me. When I am posting more books to my lists, I will check on PBS to see if it is on anyones wishlist first and then do the same for Bookmooch. If you do list a book on both sites and get a request for it, be sure to remove it from the other list. I have had the same book get requested on both lists within hours of each other. I go with the first request, but I still hate to tell the other person that the book is gone.

As for people requesting from other countries; if you don't want to mail outside of the US, you can state that on your profile.

I like Bookmooch well enough. I like the fact that you get your points right away when someone requests your book, instead of waiting until it is received. And you get 1/10 point for each book you list.

I use BookMooch. I love it. I don't use Paperback Swap, I just did BookMooch first and then wanted to only do one.

I have a HUGE wishlist. I think it's 300 books. I have gotten over 100 books from there. I pretty much only list books that I want/need for homeschooling and I almost only mooch books that were on my wishlist. So almost all those 100 are ones I really wanted. For example, I listed every book that I thought looked interesting from the SOTW 1 Activity Guide. I listed every Five in a Row book. I listed every one of Mike Venezia's books on artists and composers. I have gotten a lot of great books from BookMooch. Many of the FIAR books, many books I can use for history this year, I got D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths as a brand new copy. I've never had a bad experience with a book I've gotten. I have had some people who just didn't send it or didn't respond but the nice thing is you can leave that comment so people know you didn't cancel the transaction for no reason. And you can view the feedback to see if you want to mooch/send with a person. I also had one minor problem with an individual who I was sending a book to and the bookmooch help people were very helpful.

I typically list books that are smaller and therefore cost less to ship. My Mom gives us a lot of character driven early readers (think transformers or Diego) and I hate them. They are super popular on BookMooch and cost next to nothing to ship. I have it marked on my profile to "ask about other countries". I have shipped many times internationally and usually it's about the same as within the US since they give you 2 extra points for shipping internationally. But with the "ask first" option I have the option to say no if it's a really heavy book or I think the shipping will be unreasonable.

Thanks for the info everyone. I just packaged up three books to mail out today, and I've got two books coming to me! I can see how a person could really get caught up in this if they had hours to spend online.

I corresponded with a lady from S. Africa recently regarding a transaction on Bookmooch. (NOTE: turns out this very nice lady is also on the Hive! smiley-greet024.gif Hello Hannah!) We talked about me sending a book there and she explained her situation with hs'ing and the challenge it is to get good books. She uses BookMooch a lot, listing mostly books that she wants for hs purposes. It sounded very similar to what others have said on this thread. Anyway, she gave me the idea to list books well in advance of when I will need them, allowing time to accumulate as much as possible over time. Since we plan to use TOG next year too, I went ahead and listed all of the resource books for Yr. 2. Amazingly, I've already found several copies to hopefully get and set aside. I really hope people respond to my requests. If they do -- then what a savings!!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

I use both PBS and Bookmooch. I also find more of the books I want on PBS, but love that I can post books on Bookmooch and list the condition when I can't on PBS. They each have their place.

I sometimes order up to a year before I need a book, but it is a great way to offset the cost of TOG.

Heather

I use both PBS and Bookmooch. I also find more of the books I want on PBS, but love that I can post books on Bookmooch and list the condition when I can't on PBS. They each have their place.

I sometimes order up to a year before I need a book, but it is a great way to offset the cost of TOG.

Heather

That's a great idea, Heather. I added the whole TOG Yr. 2 books we will need, and already have three of them on their way! My goodness, I wish I would have had this last year. I've spent a ton of money on this year's school books.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm having so much fun! Thanks to those of you that recommended both venues! So far I have sent and received a number of books. I can see how this could be a real time consuming effort, so I'm thinking about scheduling a set time into my week for doing it. I think it would be wise to have set days in the month for mailing out books too. Otherwise, I'll be constantly running back and forth from my computer, to the bookshelf, and to the P.O.!!

Does anyone else schedule time in just for book exchange activity? Is anyone else obsessed with checking out their lists?

:lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm having so much fun! Thanks to those of you that recommended both venues! So far I have sent and received a number of books. I can see how this could be a real time consuming effort, so I'm thinking about scheduling a set time into my week for doing it. I think it would be wise to have set days in the month for mailing out books too. Otherwise, I'll be constantly running back and forth from my computer, to the bookshelf, and to the P.O.!!

Does anyone else schedule time in just for book exchange activity? Is anyone else obsessed with checking out their lists?

:lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda

If you have a Paypal account and a small scale, you can print and mail the books from home. I probably wouldn't participate in the swap sites nearly as much if I had to run to the Post Office to mail every package (it's not on my side of town and is not at all convenient). Here's the link to print postage from Paypal:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

If you have a Paypal account and a small scale, you can print and mail the books from home. I probably wouldn't participate in the swap sites nearly as much if I had to run to the Post Office to mail every package (it's not on my side of town and is not at all convenient). Here's the link to print postage from Paypal:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

Thank you, I forgot about shipping labels from PayPal. I actually live very close to a P.O. so its not that big of a deal if I schedule my time wisely. But when I don't feel like it, I will definitely use the PayPal option. I am set up with Click-n-Ship through the P.O. too, but they don't give you the media rate for some reason. I don't want to send these books out Priority! So anyhoo -- I'll keep my little scale handy and make it as easy as possible. Maybe even set up a little shipping center somwhere conveniently in the house.

BTW, dd is getting in to it too. She spent at least a 1 1/2 hrs. with me today entering all of her outgrown books. She got so excited when e-mails started to roll in before we were even done from people wanting her books. She then chose some good reading for fun books and also reference books about horses.

I think we have a new side hobby of swapping books with people from all parts of the country/world.

Blessings,

Lucinda

BTW, dd is getting in to it too. She spent at least a 1 1/2 hrs. with me today entering all of her outgrown books. She got so excited when e-mails started to roll in before we were even done from people wanting her books. She then chose some good reading for fun books and also reference books about horses.

I think we have a new side hobby of swapping books with people from all parts of the country/world.

Blessings,

Lucinda

My dd is getting into it, too. She wanted her own account, LOL - but she's sticking with me for now.

But I haven't listed a lot of homeschool stuff there. Maybe I should. I do have a lot of credit built up - I've been lazy about listing more things I want rather than just what I already have! You can set it to say that you don't want to ship overseas, though you do get 3 book credits if you do it, and you help out someone who may not have as easy of access to some of the books. I have shipped several things overseas and the cost was high but I like the extra credits and like knowing someone really wanted those books!

Dana

But I haven't listed a lot of homeschool stuff there. Maybe I should. I do have a lot of credit built up - I've been lazy about listing more things I want rather than just what I already have! You can set it to say that you don't want to ship overseas, though you do get 3 book credits if you do it, and you help out someone who may not have as easy of access to some of the books. I have shipped several things overseas and the cost was high but I like the extra credits and like knowing someone really wanted those books!

Dana

:iagree: My thoughts and experience are the same, Dana. It has been great for my family actually because we are connecting with other families (often hs families too) in other countries. Overall, even the oversees shipments have been a very good experience for us.

Blessings,

Lucinda

You can set it to say that you don't want to ship overseas, though you do get 3 book credits if you do it, and you help out someone who may not have as easy of access to some of the books. I have shipped several things overseas and the cost was high but I like the extra credits and like knowing someone really wanted those books!

And the person overseas is really grateful that you're willing to send the books!! THANKS! We're using books for homeschool that I would not otherwise have been able to afford.