Menu

Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer

I only read one of these books in high school. I don't remember, but I think it was Huck Finn.

Anyway, do these books need to be read together? Does one need to be read before the other? Would reading Tom Sawyer without Huck Finn be confusing, for example?

Tom Sawyer definitely comes first, and no, you don't have to read Huck Finn to "get" Tom Sawyer.

On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily say that one needs to wait till high school for Huck Finn. There's a lot to discuss, and a lot would go over younger kids' heads, but I think there's still plenty for a younger student to enjoy and to contemplate. (I wouldn't just hand it to a younger student though -- I'd want to read and discuss along with them.)

Well, that's a helpful piece of information. Thanks! I was wondering if I could read Tom Sawyer to my kids. I'm sure my daughter would understand a good deal of it and my son would probably enjoy it but miss more of the meanings and such. Anyway, a local community theater is doing "Tom Sawyer the Musical" this season. They have let the public watch their final dress rehearsals for free. I love theater, and the kids enjoy most of the plays we see. This one looked like it might be fun. I try to pair the play with the corresponding book or movie when I can, and was trying to decide if we could do this book with it.

...because it contains a lot of racial issues, including lots of use of the "n word."

That's certainly *touched* on (including the language) in Tom Sawyer as well. Certainly a way to introduce some of those ideas before delving more deeply in Huck Finn...

We read Tom Sawyer in the spring. We're reading Huck Finn right now. The kids are enjoying the action parts of the book but are bored by the descriptions. My little one asks lots of questions to clarify, which shows he's paying attention. I've asked them a couple times if they'd like to discontinue reading this one I move on but they say they are enjoying it. I think some of the funnier parts are going over their heads and I stop to explain what's going on (the language is a barrier) but they are having fun with it. As for the "n" word, we've discussed it in length and they understand never to repeat it and why it was appropriate in this book, not NOW.

FWIW, I enjoyed reading this book around 5th grade and figured it would be a great read aloud. If I'd had a more accurate memory, I would have waited. But they adored Tom Sawyer.

HTH

That's certainly *touched* on (including the language) in Tom Sawyer as well. Certainly a way to introduce some of those ideas before delving more deeply in Huck Finn...
Absolutely true. It's a really good example of inclusion/exclusion and how people are treated. Even at the end of Huck Finn you still see Tom treating the whole situation as a game. Tom Sawyer is all about boyhood, Huck Finn is more about growing up.

We listened to Tom Sawyer I think year before last - that would've made my older two 9 and the younger 7 and they all thoroughly enjoyed it. I chose a audio book because I couldn't possibly do justice to those accents the way the narrator did, and then I could also have the discussion about the book's use of the "n" word without having to utter it myself. Tom Sawyer is enjoyable for kids because Tom is so thoroughly a boy - very funny! (kept thinking that in today's world he'd be loaded up on Ritalin...:()

I'd also agree Huck Finn in high school - I personally read it at 11 with no problem, and enjoyed it as a nice story, but I never had a problem reading dialect in dialog like some kids, and also I don't think I understood (ie paid attention to) any of the deeper themes till I read it again and discussed it in I think 10th grade English.

Edited by matroyshka